Display Module Support

Support for Arduino in combination with Air Manager and Air Player

Moderators: russ, Ralph

wdmonitor@gmail.com

Display Module Support

#1 Post by wdmonitor@gmail.com »

Hi Guys,

Still loving AM, about to start another sim pit. Thanks for all of your great work. Everyone is still very grateful for the expanded daisy-chain count in the MAX7219 implementation. That made the Fatmir Halili GA avionics PCB very useable in AM, even though it was designed for MobiFlight. In the planning stage, I could still really use some 7-segment display functionality for the TM1637 driver chip, NOT using the message port. There's just not much variety available in pre-made MAX7219 modules. They are all too big (.56") and only come in red, with 4 or 8 digits. The TM1637 modules come in .56 and .36 digit heights, various colors, and in varied digit counts, and only uses 2 Arduino lines. You can get 2 modules side-by-side for radio displays, I even have a radio panel that 4 radio displays in 1 standard-size panel. I know we've discussed this in the past with negative results, and I apologize for bringing it up again. Could we revisit supporting this module if I offer to pay a reasonable amount for the development? I know that the Arduino libs to use the TM1637 5 and 6-digit modules work well, but I don't know what effort it would take to add the support to AM. I know that I'm being a pest with this, and if it's just not worth the development effort, I get that. Thanks for just reading this, I promise I wont ask again!

BuddyM

Ralph

Re: Display Module Support

#2 Post by Ralph »

The problem is that each supported display takes up memory, so we cannot endlessly add hardware components. And since the 'smallest chip', the Nano I believe is getting quite full, we rather not add something unless it is really necessary, because that might be the last thing we can add. I suppose there are plenty of libraries available for the TM1637, so it can 'easily' be solved with Message port.

wdmonitor@gmail.com

#3 Post by wdmonitor@gmail.com »

Hi Ralph,

Understood, I will move down a different route, I think custom PCBs for smaller MAX7219 modules and different digit counts will be the solution. I just want the new sim to be "all Air Manager", not a combo of Am and "other". :) Thanks man!

have a great day,
BuddyM

Ralph

#4 Post by Ralph »

With Message Port it will still be Air Manager. With a little Arduino Studio :)

Mike Horsten

#5 Post by Mike Horsten »

Can we get a really good tutorial about Messageport for non programmers. As the reference is always Messageport, but im a NOOB at programming and getting this done is not easy for somebody that has no experience in this subject.

Mike
Building a home Cessna 172SP Steam. X-plane/MFS2020
(ex Name on Airmanager forum Polarair)

Ralph

#6 Post by Ralph »

Message port will stay quite complicated for most beginners. But you can try this video.

baranismen

#7 Post by baranismen »

wdmonitor@gmail.com wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 5:49 pm Hi Ralph,

Understood, I will move down a different route, I think custom PCBs for smaller MAX7219 modules and different digit counts will be the solution. I just want the new sim to be "all Air Manager", not a combo of Am and "other". :) Thanks man!

have a great day,
BuddyM
That's a great coincidence that I've come up with your message. I'm here for this very reason (to ask about TM1637), I've got a new MCP project for b738 and instead of using standart 8 digit max7219 modules, I thought using TM1637's with suitable digit counts (3,5 etc) would be better. But I see there's a memory handicap for that.

Well, shall we stay in contact for custom PCBs meant to be used with 7219's? I've got no experience of drawing a PCB but I may learn as well.

jph

#8 Post by jph »

That's a great coincidence that I've come up with your message. I'm here for this very reason (to ask about TM1637), I've got a new MCP project for b738 and instead of using standart 8 digit max7219 modules, I thought using TM1637's with suitable digit counts (3,5 etc) would be better. But I see there's a memory handicap for that.

Well, shall we stay in contact for custom PCBs meant to be used with 7219's? I've got no experience of drawing a PCB but I may learn as well.
There is no real reason why you cannot use a CC 0.28 or 0.3x etc display with a cheap 7219 pcb. You would just need to remove the 0.56 units, then use some ribbon cable or similar to hook up the displays to the PCB. A bit of a 'faff' but no real issue.
Just an option of course, but easy to do.
Joe
Joe. CISSP, MSc.