Determining pot values

Support for Arduino in combination with Air Manager and Air Player

Moderators: russ, Ralph

baranismen

Determining pot values

#1 Post by baranismen »

Hi
I have just finished a 737 throttle, i used 6 pots (5 of them are 10k, 6th is 5k, i was out of 10ks) i just wonder how can i determine their range according to their resistence values. I used the basic adc code in example page but axis seem move barely.

Ralph

Re: Determining pot values

#2 Post by Ralph »

The amount of ohms doesn't matter, as long as you don't go below 250 ohm, the range will stay the same. Sounds like the wiring isn't done correctly.

baranismen

#3 Post by baranismen »

Ralph wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 6:28 am The amount of ohms doesn't matter, as long as you don't go below 250 ohm, the range will stay the same. Sounds like the wiring isn't done correctly.
Hey Ralph

As usual, i connected 1st lug to one of digital pins of uno, middle to gnd and other lug to 5v, isnt it right?

baranismen

#4 Post by baranismen »

Omg i just googled it and saw that i completely messed up the wiring, why did i think that mid lug is gnd wow..

It should be like

Gnd
Signal
5v

And mine is

5v
Gnd
Signal

Ralph

#5 Post by Ralph »

The wiper is indeed usually (or maybe always) in the middle. The outer two can be either GND - 5V or 5V - GND, doesn't matter much.

baranismen

#6 Post by baranismen »

Ralph wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:01 am The wiper is indeed usually (or maybe always) in the middle. The outer two can be either GND - 5V or 5V - GND, doesn't matter much.
That's true, swapping 5V and Signal determines the direction of the pot. However, right now seems like it's using the whole range and as I don't use the whole range for the axis I imply, I need to fine-tune it to the range I'll use. It doesn't automatically detect which area of the total pot range I'm using.

Ralph

#7 Post by Ralph »

You'll need to convert the range you have to 1 if you don't want to use it all but still have full deflection in the simulator. So lets say the ADC value goes from 0 to 0.8, then you will have to multiply the ADC value with 1.25.

Sling

#8 Post by Sling »

baranismen wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:07 pm That's true, swapping 5V and Signal determines the direction of the pot.
Please don't swap 5V and signal or you will short out the supply through the pot when the pot is at one end. To swap direction you swap 5V and Gnd.

baranismen

#9 Post by baranismen »

All good now, but is there any chance to arrange the dead zone? Seems like 10k pots are so much for the hardware range I have now.

Ralph

#10 Post by Ralph »

I'm not really sure what you mean by dead zone. Can you explain?