Tutorials on electronics

Support for Arduino in combination with Air Manager and Air Player

Moderators: russ, Ralph

Keith Baxter

Re: Tutorials on electronics

#11 Post by Keith Baxter »

Joe

I prefer the CD4051BE simply because resistors are not required.
But you are limited to 4x4
It all boils down to requirements and pwn outputs.

Keith
AMD RYZEN 9 5950X CPU, Corsair H80I cooler, ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS AMD Ryzen Mother Board,  32Gb ram Corsair Vengeance 3000Mh, MSI GTX960 4G graphics card 

Keith Baxter

#12 Post by Keith Baxter »

Joe

The bottom line is to illuminate many leds.
I am talking about leds on electrical panels switches and Annunciations. These run into the hundreds.

The idea is to use Multiplexer/Demultiplexer technology to do that rather than a matrix with hundreds of bc107 transistors.

Keith

EDIT: @jph I like it when you disappear. It means that you are applying you mind and doing some research. ;)
Last edited by Keith Baxter on Thu May 13, 2021 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AMD RYZEN 9 5950X CPU, Corsair H80I cooler, ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS AMD Ryzen Mother Board,  32Gb ram Corsair Vengeance 3000Mh, MSI GTX960 4G graphics card 

jph

#13 Post by jph »

Keith Baxter wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 4:45 pm Joe

I prefer the CD4051BE simply because resistors are not required.
But you are limited to 4x4
It all boils down to requirements and pwn outputs.

Keith
Sorry brother, Apologies if it is me..... but I still am unsure what exactly you want to achieve ? .. if you want a single PWM to drive multiple PWM - ie: -a PWM Multiplexor - then you can do it all - without even the arduino PWM output - just do it by I2C.
you need something like a PCA9685. 16 channel 12 bit hardware PWM output. I
Here is a datasheet - ignore what use it 'suggests' ! - it is a complete hardware PWM 16 channel output device from a single I2C drive.
Here's a link to such - dirt cheap - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3275375 ... 4c4dAZS5PV
You would need messageport, but it it is only a single I2C drive.

You mention the 4051 ? its main design function is an analog mux / demux - but can of course be used for digitial. the PCA9685 , if wanted for PWM, is specifically designed for such.
IF you wanted an analogue output - - multichannel - then use a multichannel 12 to 16 bit unit such as the ADS1115.
Hope that helps,
Joe.
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

jph

#14 Post by jph »

Keith Baxter wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 4:53 pm Joe

The bottom line is to illuminate many leds.
I am talking about leds on electrical panels switches and Annunciations. These run into the hundreds.

The idea is to use Multiplexer/Demultiplexer technology to do that rather than a matrix with hundreds of bc107 transistors.

Keith
AH, we overlapped.. no worries.. the PCA9685 is your ideal weapon of choice brother :) , It gives you 16 channels and full 12 Bit PWM brightness control from one I2C...
Joe
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

jph

#15 Post by jph »

Keith Baxter wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 4:53 pm EDIT: @jph I like it when you disappear. It means that you are applying you mind and doing some research. ;)
:lol: :lol: :lol:
No, I just went for a cold one.... :D
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

Keith Baxter

#16 Post by Keith Baxter »

Ok

So back to to the query Corjan, Is there a change in sentiment? Or should I embark down a different avenue?

Keith

jph

#17 Post by jph »

Also, for shits and giggles - I have one on order from last week for another project - so research had been done and dusted,, - :mrgreen:
PWM I2C.jpg
:roll: :mrgreen: :lol:

As for Corjan Keith ?. I don't think - personally - that esoteric items like this are necessarily going to be included - although it would be nice.. as all these can be added via MP.
Also, if you want to - as it says - "With this pwm and servo driver breakout, you can control 16 free-running PWM outputs with just two pins! Need to run more than 16 PWM outputs? No problem. Chain together up to 62 of these beauties for up to an outstanding 992 PWM outputs." as the I2C address per board is selectable so still only one I2C port on the arduino.

And don't forget, once you send the signal via I2C, the board is self controlling. - It doesn't need and updates until anything changes. It happily runs independently when set - until you need to change it. No constant signalling and full hardware PWM. Amazing device.
Speak tomorrow maybe ?
Off to watch a bit of DS9....... ;)
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

Keith Baxter

#18 Post by Keith Baxter »

Yup,

I started a request for a separate section for this type of topic. Then went to edit it and delete the topic to change the heading. That was a oops...

Keith

Keith Baxter

#19 Post by Keith Baxter »

Joe,

That PCA9685 looks interesting.

I also have another project that needs to drive a bunch of sg90's for a steam gauge panel.........

On another note..

A tidy desk is the sign of a sick mind. :mrgreen:
Albert Einstein ... and I believe Steve Jobs agreed. ""While our cluttered desks may not prove we're brilliant, they do show that we might be geniuses.""

Yes Yes. Something to sing about :lol: :lol: :lol:
https://youtu.be/M8uU_4XBugA

IMG_5298 (3).jpg

AM interfacing with these, would be an awesome +.

Keith

Keith Baxter

#20 Post by Keith Baxter »

Hi

Something for the SI guys chuckle on. :twisted: :twisted:
rock.jpg
Keith