Tutorials on electronics

Support for Arduino in combination with Air Manager and Air Player

Moderators: russ, Ralph

eduwushu

Tutorials on electronics

#1 Post by eduwushu »

Hi people

I was wondering if there is any wiki or link where I can learn about the electronics part of seting up a cockpit. As for the moment Im interested in building an instrument panel with some rotary encoders for the instruments that require it like altimeter , or to set the heading bug in the directional gyro etc

As a programmer I feel comfortable with the programming side of things but Im totally ignorant in the electronics side. I found good electronics content in the website for simvim:

https://simvim.com/svc_io.html

They have detailed explanations on how to connect the different electronic components into the arduino. Problem is these tutorials seem to be very specific to the particular way of working of simvim, and there are some differences between simvim and airmanager software for the arduino (simvim for example allows for multiplexer extension boards while I think airmanager doesnt, also they have this "address bus" architecture that I guess is also different). So I was wondering if theres a similar resource done by the airmanager guys. Ive only found stuff related to how add in LUA script the hardware you have connected.
My main concern right now is if one arduino doesnt have enough pins to connect all different encoders and switches you want to put.... are there extension methods, or methods to group components into the same inputs of a board or you should then use multiple arduinos? Once again, I speak from total ignorance so any kind of tutorial would be welcomed if you know any.

Thanks!

Ralph

Re: Tutorials on electronics

#2 Post by Ralph »

There's information here, it's about the Raspberry Pi, but it works just the same as the Arduino.
http://siminnovations.com/wiki/index.ph ... n_examples

Corjan

#3 Post by Corjan »

Hi,

We choose to not go with any multiplexing or address bus solutions, like SimVim does. We feel it will only complicate things, and does not bring any significant price drop.

If you require more pins, you indeed need more Arduino's.
You can connect up to 16 Arduino's (of each type) to Air Manager.

If you need many pins, I recommend using the Arduino MEGA. Clone boards also work:
https://www.dx.com/p/improved-funduino- ... -lMuJNKiUk

Corjan

eduwushu

#4 Post by eduwushu »

Thank you guys.

Ill have a look at the connection blueprints. I dont think i gonna go beyond some encoders to start with anyway so it should be totally fine.

Thanks for the advice

Sling

#5 Post by Sling »

There are some hardware related video tutorials coming soon. They are aimed at beginners but there is probably something in their for everyone to learn something. Watchout for them on the Sim Innovations YouTube channel.

Tony

ChuckK

#6 Post by ChuckK »

I have a full hardware very realistic PA46 Piper Malibu cockpit with a lot of lessons learned. I use both Ardsim and AM although I am slowly migrating to AM. The switche connections are straight forward basically a connection between a digital pin and ground. One thing to be aware of is you will quickly run out of ground pins on the Arduino. I suggest making a ground bus pcb from some perf board and female headers and if you intend on using pots for throttle, mixture, volume, dimming etc. you can make a 5v bus board as well. I would also advise to power the Arduinos with external 9vdc wall type power supplies, the PC usb sourced power gets sketchy when a lot of Arduinos are in use.

Chuck

Keith Baxter

#7 Post by Keith Baxter »

Corjan wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:50 am Hi,

We choose to not go with any multiplexing or address bus solutions, like SimVim does. We feel it will only complicate things, and does not bring any significant price drop.

If you need many pins, I recommend using the Arduino MEGA. Clone boards also work:

Corjan
Hi

Has the sentiment changed in this regard?

Talking to demux from a PWM output from an Arduino.

Keith
AMD RYZEN 9 5950X CPU, Corsair H80I cooler, ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS AMD Ryzen Mother Board,  32Gb ram Corsair Vengeance 3000Mh, MSI GTX960 4G graphics card 

jph

#8 Post by jph »

Keith Baxter wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 3:35 pm
Corjan wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:50 am Hi,

Corjan
Hi

Has the sentiment changed in this regard?

Talking to demux from a PWM output from an Arduino.

Keith
Keith,
Please explain exactly what you are trying to achieve ? - are you trying to apply a single Arduino PWM output to a multiplexor ? (meaning one Arduino PWM to multiple PWM outputs ?) that is possible.
I am unsure as to what you mean by 'demux; FROM a pwm output FROM an Arduino ?
Joe.
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

Keith Baxter

#9 Post by Keith Baxter »

AMD RYZEN 9 5950X CPU, Corsair H80I cooler, ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS AMD Ryzen Mother Board,  32Gb ram Corsair Vengeance 3000Mh, MSI GTX960 4G graphics card 

jph

#10 Post by jph »

Sorry Keith, But I still have no idea what you are trying to achieve ?
What is the objective ? - so far I have seen, Mux, Demux,, PWM (mux ? ), then in the links,, ADC (demux?) and DAC (MUX) ?????
Joe. CISSP, MSc.