RPi on ethernet?

Support for Air Player desktop on ARM devices, like the Raspberry Pi.

Moderators: russ, Ralph

Cirrostratuss

RPi on ethernet?

#1 Post by Cirrostratuss »

I’m new to the RPi world, I managed to clone the image, get my panel to show on a touch panel but my wifi is laggy and drops often. Not ideal that the RPi which is running all my instruments suddenly drops and shows nothing. So how do I set up an Ethernet connection? Do I connect the RPi directly to my computer using an RJ45? Do I need to get a switch and hook both the RPi and my computer to it? Are there instructions somewhere on what equipment I need and how to successfully do the setup?

Appreciate the help!
Flying adventures with a Mooney M20F on YT
https://bit.ly/3gfbaSq

Sling

Re: RPi on ethernet?

#2 Post by Sling »

There is nothing specific on the network side for the Rpi. You just connect it to an existing network like you would any other computer. If you don’t know how to do that there are loads of resources on the net about connecting and configuring a home network. From the limited information you gave you may or may not have a PC already connected to a router by Ethernet cable so if the router is close by you can also connect the Rpi to it. If you have Ethernet wired to where your PC is from the router in another room then unless you have more than one available point in the PC room you will need a small network switch to expand the number of ports. 2 machines can be interlinked with a special crossover network cable but this is seldom done. If you are just on wifi and it is flaky then it’s better to connect both machines by Ethernet. There are a lot of variables and so one solution may not suit another situation. One of the most important factors is where is your router located in relation to your pc. You might be better off improving the wifi if the physical cable connection becomes problematic.

Cirrostratuss

#3 Post by Cirrostratuss »

Thanks for the reply!

The computer that is running air manager and Xplane is on wifi, too far away for a hard link to router. I used some instructions to connect my computer with the RPi using a patch cable and static IP addresses. The Ethernet is active. But, when I launch Air Manager, it shows the RPi still connecting via WiFi. Is there a way to configure Air Manager to connect with a static ip? To force it to use the ethernet rather than WiFi?

Thanks again!!

Cirrostratuss

#4 Post by Cirrostratuss »

The problem was caused by windows firewall blocking the Ethernet traffic because it considered it Public. Turned the firewall off between the PC running XPlane and RPi and got it working now.