Airplayer RPI & hardware adding

Support for Air Player desktop on ARM devices, like the Raspberry Pi.

Moderators: russ, Ralph

Deltasierra

Airplayer RPI & hardware adding

#1 Post by Deltasierra »

Hi to all,
I’m building C172 cockpit using an external display for instruments (piloted by Air Player RPI), connected with Saitek hardware (yoke, pedals, radio panel, multi panel and switch panel).
In which way can I add a new switch (or other generic hardware), for example to check the annunciator panel lights, using an Arduino board?
Thanks!

jph

Re: Airplayer RPI & hardware adding

#2 Post by jph »

Deltasierra wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:46 pm Hi to all,
I’m building C172 cockpit using an external display for instruments (piloted by Air Player RPI), connected with Saitek hardware (yoke, pedals, radio panel, multi panel and switch panel).
In which way can I add a new switch (or other generic hardware), for example to check the annunciator panel lights, using an Arduino board?
Thanks!
Hi and welcome to the forums,
When you say 'annunciator lights' are you referring to the Saitek 'BIP' ?
Joe
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

Ralph

#3 Post by Ralph »

Isn't that Saitek thing triggered by the sim? A annunciator test button can easily be added as a pre-made hardware function in Air Manager 4.

jph

#4 Post by jph »

Yes,
The BIP now tends to use 'SPAD NEXT' and there is lots of info about it.

the unit is -
https://www.airsim.net/2011/01/25/saitek-apresenta-bip/
image.png
They tend to fetch between 500 and 800 euro now. but, they are an absolutely lovely bit of kit. All interchangeable title (tiles / annunciators) and also colours. ;) amazing. They sold out quickly as they were far too expensive to produce for the price they were selling at.
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

Deltasierra

#5 Post by Deltasierra »

jph wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:14 pm
Deltasierra wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:46 pm
Hi and welcome to the forums,
When you say 'annunciator lights' are you referring to the Saitek 'BIP' ?
Joe
No, I’m referring to a simple hardware switch for testing C172 annunciator panel.

Deltasierra

#6 Post by Deltasierra »

Ralph wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:17 pm Isn't that Saitek thing triggered by the sim? A annunciator test button can easily be added as a pre-made hardware function in Air Manager 4.
Yes, I wish to add a simple test button for C172 annunciator panel. Is this hardware pre-made function available for Air Manager 3 for RPI too ?

Ralph

#7 Post by Ralph »

No, only in version 4.

Sling

#8 Post by Sling »

You could easily make it work without the hardware script. You just need to send the command for annunciator test depending on the state of a button. You can look at the code in the AM 4 hardware that Ralph referenced if you don’t know how to code this.

Deltasierra

#9 Post by Deltasierra »

Sling wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 9:18 pm You could easily make it work without the hardware script. You just need to send the command for annunciator test depending on the state of a button. You can look at the code in the AM 4 hardware that Ralph referenced if you don’t know how to code this.

It works!! .... :D I've followed your clever suggestion Sling. I've cloned the hardware script from AM4 into my RPI Airplayer and tested.
Many thanks!