Air Manager not seeing Raspberry Pi

Support for Air Player desktop on ARM devices, like the Raspberry Pi.

Moderators: russ, Ralph

monkeysuncle

Air Manager not seeing Raspberry Pi

#1 Post by monkeysuncle »

Hello! I’m having the worst time setting my Raspberry Pi device. I was having success for a little while- it showed up under devices, I started to make a panel, etc. I must have corrupted the OS or something powering it off and on (I didn’t shut it down properly) so I decided to just start over. Now I have nothing good happening.

Here is where I’m at:
I have RE-downloaded the Air Player image.
I have re-flashed the SD card.
I inserted the SD card and started up the R Pi.
On the screen there are three little squares. Then there is the Siminnovations splash screen, which stays on for a second or two. Then blank screen. The lights on my Ethernet switch show green for the R Pi channel. From Windows, I can ping the R Pi and ssh into it. But Air Manager doesn’t see it anymore.

I’ve tried different SD cards and get similar results. Could I have corrupted the R Pi firmware?

It’s a Raspberry Pi 2 B
Thanks, Dave
Last edited by monkeysuncle on Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

monkeysuncle

Re: Air Manager not seeing Raspberry Pi

#2 Post by monkeysuncle »

Update:
I have two Raspberry Pi’s running, each has identical issues as described above.

Thanks

monkeysuncle

#3 Post by monkeysuncle »

No one has any suggestions?

Ralph

#4 Post by Ralph »

Sorry for the late reply. It sounds like the broadcast message from the Raspberry Pi is being blocked. Can be the firewall or the network equipment. Do you have some temporary router to test?

monkeysuncle

#5 Post by monkeysuncle »

I don't have another router to test with.
I have an Ethernet cable running from my router, to a netgear switch. Ethernet cables run from the switch to my PC and the two raspberry pis.

When I open my router settings, I set the RPis and can see their IP addresses.
I set up an Inbound rule in the firewall settings to allow UDP port 55556. I think I did it correctly.

How do I know if they are on the network? Should they show up under Network in the Windows Explorer window?
Do I need to set up a new connection or network in the Network Sharing center?

I'm not super knowledgeable with Ethernet etc I'm afraid.

Sling

#6 Post by Sling »

Did you try all of the suggestions here.

https://siminnovations.com/wiki/index.p ... n_problems

monkeysuncle

#7 Post by monkeysuncle »

Thanks for that link. I went through it, and discovered if I turn off the Public Network Firewall, The Pi's Appear in Air Manager. I've poked around and tried to make some rules, but I'm not much of an expert. Any particular setting I should investigate?

Sling

#8 Post by Sling »

That will depend on what OS and/or equipment you have. As it says on that help page, Google is your friend.

At home you normally use a private network so check your windows network settings.

Ralph

#9 Post by Ralph »

I'm also not that much of a firewall expert. But as Tony said, Google is your friend in this case.
Something like this: https://www.tomshardware.com/news/how-t ... 36451.html

monkeysuncle

#10 Post by monkeysuncle »

FYI I’m running Windows 10.

Thanks for the link. After trying that., no luck. What UDP port number should I use? I selected 'all ports' and that didn't work.

Almost all of my Google'ing returns mentions of Samba. Is that something I need to install on the RPi? This is pretty frustrating. It's good to know at least that turning on/off Public networks firewall reveals that the issue lies there. I just can't find info on how to get the RPis through the firewall. I've seen some links talking about not being able to see the Pi in the Windows explorer window under network/computer. Mine do not show up there whether the firewall is on or off. I think this might be related.