Frequent 6 seconds signal dropouts (red crosses)

Support for Air Player desktop on ARM devices, like the Raspberry Pi.

Moderators: russ, Ralph

artik

Re: Frequent 6 seconds signal dropouts (red crosses)

#11 Post by artik »

Trying to download the Air Player 2.5 beta for more than hour, the connection is dropped every few minutes and the transfer speed is very slow. Could you check the server please?

OK now testing time...

artik

#12 Post by artik »

Still having an issue of 6-7 seconds loss of the data, many times per hour using 3.5 beta...

BTW. Black screen when trying to display gauges on the main 1080ti monitors.
I get only 14fps on screen with E1000 and Eclipse 550NG, that's really low, not smooth using RPi 3.

Ralph

#13 Post by Ralph »

Quite weird. Never seen that on the desktop before after 3.5, or maybe even 3.4. At least not that I know of. Maybe we can do another debug session.
You're using the latest GPU drivers? Are you running Windows or Linux?

The new Pi release will have a lower frame rate. Right now it's around 14, it will increase a bit with 3.6, I guess about 20 FPS. It's a downside of the new rendering library.

Corjan

#14 Post by Corjan »

Hi,

Also make sure that your run the latest flight sim BETA plugin, if you are not doing that already:
https://siminnovations.com/wiki/index.p ... ugins_BETA

A lot of things to install :)

Please let us know if the problem persists, we can certainly do a debug session to try to get to the root cause of this issue.
9 out of 10 times it is a network issue. We have had situations where something silly as restarting routers etc. can fix it.

Corjan

artik

#15 Post by artik »

Hi,

"6 sec drop"
I've changed the router and looks like the signal drop has gone. Will test it more but it could be the culprit.
I'm on the Win7, GPU drivers not the latest but the fastest.

"FPS"
That's very unfortunate the framerate is that slow. 14fps it's just too low for my senses - not immersive.
Do you remember which version was the fastest? I'd like to roll back (do I need to download the earlier versions of Air Manager + Air Player?)
As I remember fps was very fluid like 40-60fps before?

Corjan

#16 Post by Corjan »

Hi,

Hopefully that is the problem. It is always a real hassle to find out where the problem is exactly.
I would not recommend using older version of Air Manager or Air Player, since quite some stuff has been fixed or improved since.

The Raspberry pi will always be somewhat limited when it comes to the smoothness of the animation. We try to optimize our code the best we can, but it will always be somewhat limiting.

If you want better performance, consider using something like a Intel compute stick (or something similar), or force the Pi to use a lower resolution.

Corjan

artik

#17 Post by artik »

From my point of view the essential thing (fps) is getting 4 times worse. I cannot feel the improved stuff.
Sorry I cannot agree the Raspberry Pi framerate is limiting.
I remember those times 2017/2018.
It was super fluid 60fps on Air Player v3 (you can see it on the Russ Barlow videos) and I've seen advertised "60fps" on your site before...
And it was working that fast on my Raspberry Pi. The proof is 30/60fps switch on your software...

https://youtu.be/yqwNHwPLHEc?t=746

Please kindly advise how to downgrade to the 60fps fluid fps version.

I'm not a happy customer with jerky 14fps... Especially on the moving analog instruments it's killing the immersion.

Regards
Arti

Corjan

#18 Post by Corjan »

Hi,

The link you sent is a stick computer Russ has, not the Raspberry Pi.
At the end you can see the Raspberry Pi running around 51 FPS. But I'm pretty sure that is not a full HD monitor (prop 720p).

I understand that a low frame rate kills the immersion. I always try to make it perform the best I can.
But it will always be a compromise between features and performance. Especially for our software, since we target a lot of different platforms.
There are quite some improvements that justify that change in my opinion, like sharper text, the ability to change text rendering real time, support for DirectX and Metal.

And we advertise with 'up to 60 FPS'. And at almost every platform, that is easily achieved. Also on the Raspberry Pi when you run anything less then a full HD panel.

Like I said, I have done quite some optimization, and will post an update to the Air Player BETA for the Pi in a couple of weeks. In your case, that will probably bump it up to around 22 FPS.
If you are not satisfied, we are always open to refund your money or transfer your AP license to a more powerful device.

Corjan

artik

#19 Post by artik »

Unfortunately even after changing the wifi router the 6 sec signal dropout still do exist.

Arti

artik

#20 Post by artik »

Still testing but looks like the RPi + XP11 Simulator Ethernet connection is stable.