Does Airplayer require Air Manager to be running?

Support for Air Player desktop.

Moderators: russ, Ralph

brlowe

Does Airplayer require Air Manager to be running?

#1 Post by brlowe »

I have 2 computers I play MSFS 2020 on. I have a full AM install on computer 1 and use it to build or modify panels on. Computer 2 is upstairs in another room and it is just used for play. If I buy Air Player for computer 2 does computer 1 with Air Manager need to be powered on and running?
Also how do I get my panels to the Air Player computer?

Serge Luke

Re: Does Airplayer require Air Manager to be running?

#2 Post by Serge Luke »

AP on second computer shouldn't require AM running on the main one, if you setup the panels in AP to open automatically with specific aircraft.

I've been experiencing some panels not starting in AP automatically, so I open them from the AM on the main machine. I do not experience any issues with my X-Plane performance when AM is running, so this isn't a big issue.

brlowe

#3 Post by brlowe »

The 2 computers are in completely different rooms and I may be on my sim computer while my main computer is not even running.
So do I need Air Player or will it even work if my main computer is not running or do I need a full copy of AM on the second computer?
Would I have to buy the premium panels over again for the second computer too?
I feel like I should only need 1 license as I can only use 1 computer at a time. Air Manager would never be running on both at the same time. All my other software is on both computers with 1 license as I can only run 1 at a time.
If I have too I will buy a second copy. I would under stand 2 licenses if I had both running Air Manager at the same time.

Serge Luke

#4 Post by Serge Luke »

If you are running Air Manager on your computer, you don't need Air Player on the same machine. The second machine will do fine with Air Player, if you don't need to manipulate/control panels from that computer, i.e. you can handle all configuration work from the one running Air Manager. My understanding is that the licenses are per one device, if you want Air Manager on the second computer, that would require a separate license.

I don't know how commercial panels licensing works. The panels I imported or designed into Air Manager are fully replicable on Air Player.

Hope this helps.

Keith Baxter

#5 Post by Keith Baxter »

Hi

Air Player is required to run hardware/arduinos. Or has that changed?

If it has changed, then I not then I need not bother to upgrade my air player to AP4 because i only use one machine.

Might be my bad...

Keith
AMD RYZEN 9 5950X CPU, Corsair H80I cooler, ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS AMD Ryzen Mother Board,  32Gb ram Corsair Vengeance 3000Mh, MSI GTX960 4G graphics card 

brlowe

#6 Post by brlowe »

So the question is,
Can I purchase and install air player on computer 2 and use it without computer 1 running?
Remember computer 1 is where air manager is installed.

Sling

#7 Post by Sling »

Keith Baxter wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 6:19 pm Hi

Air Player is required to run hardware/arduinos. Or has that changed?

If it has changed, then I not then I need not bother to upgrade my air player to AP4 because i only use one machine.

Might be my bad...

Keith
Keith you only need AM. It does everything AP does.

Sling

#8 Post by Sling »

brlowe wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 7:56 pm So the question is,
Can I purchase and install air player on computer 2 and use it without computer 1 running?
Remember computer 1 is where air manager is installed.
Yes is the answer but you need to understand how it works to decide if you want AP or a second copy of AM.

Things to consider.

Sim Innovations uses an offline licence model which means the software does not have to be continually connected to the internet for verification. This is why you can’t have a floating licence to be used across different machines. They also choose not to implement a USB dongle model probably because of the added logistics involved. Every model has down sides I happen to think the current model has more positives than negatives.

You need at least one copy of AM so it is always the first purchase. It is required to push new or updated panels to AP.

AP has no GUI so you can’t directly interact with it. You either have to use AM or set it to auto display panels. The auto start features are the same ones found in AM, so on AP start, on aircraft load.

Depending on the way you want to use it will depend on the best option. Generally I would say if you have one or a few panels that you mainly fly and you rarely change them and they auto start based on aircraft type well (this can be checked with AM) then AP will probably suffice. If you are regularly changing things or have lots of panels or want to experiment then another copy of AM is probably better. Remember this is just my opinion.

I hope this helps you make a decision.

Tony

Keith Baxter

#9 Post by Keith Baxter »

Sling wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 11:07 pm Keith you only need AM. It does everything AP does.
Tony,

I must be confused.
I seem to recall having to purchase an AP license so that I could use arduinos.

Cant see why I would have purchased AP otherwise.

Keith
AMD RYZEN 9 5950X CPU, Corsair H80I cooler, ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS AMD Ryzen Mother Board,  32Gb ram Corsair Vengeance 3000Mh, MSI GTX960 4G graphics card 

Sling

#10 Post by Sling »

You definitely can run Arduino’s from AM. Like I said before AM can do everything AP does plus lots more of course. AP is only needed if you want to show panels on another machine. Give it a try.