Does Airplayer require Air Manager to be running?

Support for Air Player desktop.

Moderators: russ, Ralph

jph

Re: Does Airplayer require Air Manager to be running?

#11 Post by jph »

Agreed,
I tend to think of it this way Keith @Keith Baxter
AM and AP are both capable of full use of Arduino hardware etc.
To make use of AP, you need AM to CREATE and SETUP and push the initial panels / hardware / details for Arduinos etc to set up AP, as Tony says, there is no AP GUI to create things, this needs to be done from AM.
AP can then be stand alone, but cannot be altered.
So, you can create with AM, push to AP, then run AP stand alone with all your hardware attached, you just cannot edit anything on it without AM.
AM can and does act as both instrument / hardware creator and 'player' all in one. Meaning it does everything.
So, to use AP you need at least one copy of AM to ''set it up' and also to change anything within AP. AP is stand alone after being programmed from AM
Hence, AP can be used in a full standalone mode as a PLAYER once the info has been pushed to it via AM.
Hope that makes sense ?. Apologies if there are any discrepancies in the above.
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

Keith Baxter

#12 Post by Keith Baxter »

Joe,

Yes that is clear to me

However as I say. I recall having to purchase AP as an aduino licence so that arduinos would work on AM.

But hay, If AM does not need AP to run arduinos then not much point in me updating something I never use.

I will soon find out when I start going through all my old instruments and one does not work.

Keith
AMD RYZEN 9 5950X CPU, Corsair H80I cooler, ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS AMD Ryzen Mother Board,  32Gb ram Corsair Vengeance 3000Mh, MSI GTX960 4G graphics card 

jph

#13 Post by jph »

Keith Baxter wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 10:38 am Joe,

Yes that is clear to me

However as I say. I recall having to purchase AP as an aduino licence so that arduinos would work on AM.

But hay, If AM does not need AP to run arduinos then not much point in me updating something I never use.

I will soon find out when I start going through all my old instruments and one does not work.

Keith
Hi Brother Keith, ;)
AM does DEFINTIELY NOT need AP to use Arduinos or other slave hardware. AP is simply a cheaper way of using pre-created hardware / gauges etc on another PC - providing you have already purchased a copy of AM to create, produce and push them to AP. It is actually really good as you can run satellite PC's with AP on. Half the price of AM. But as said, you need 1 copy of AM in the first place to create and push them to AP, after that, all is good to go.
No worries.
Joe
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

brlowe

#14 Post by brlowe »

Ok I may end up getting a second copy of AM but just for fun I think I’m going to try a copy of AP running on a Raspberry Pi 4 that I have sitting in a drawer and see how it works. Does the pi have enough power to run 2 panels at the same time?

Keith Baxter

#15 Post by Keith Baxter »

Hi

As far as i know your Rpi AP licence supports Rpi4 on one HDMI output.

Not sure if there is a hack or it could be done with a separate AP licence.

Keith
AMD RYZEN 9 5950X CPU, Corsair H80I cooler, ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS AMD Ryzen Mother Board,  32Gb ram Corsair Vengeance 3000Mh, MSI GTX960 4G graphics card 

Ralph

#16 Post by Ralph »

It does not, that's why we decided to support only one output, among a few other reasons.