Air Player - how to add hardware?

Support for Air Player desktop.

Moderators: russ, Ralph

uptimist

Re: Air Player - how to add hardware?

#21 Post by uptimist »

Wait, now I’m confused...how do you make the hardware assignment when you run the instrument standalone in Create/Edit tab?

I assumed it picked up the assignments from the last time I ran the instrument in a panel (from Panel tab, where I can set the hardware assignment). But for the code with named hardware, it shouldn’t matter.

Also, my cunning plan to try a different PC for Air Display is running into trouble. If I plug the boards into that Pc they connect as Com3 and Com4, but when I flashed them on the AM PC they are Com2 and Com3. How do I configure this?

Ralph

#22 Post by Ralph »

We'll discuss this one tomorrow. I'll also have a better look at your script.

Keith Baxter

#23 Post by Keith Baxter »

uptimist wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 4:18 pm Wait, now I’m confused...how do you make the hardware assignment when you run the instrument standalone in Create/Edit tab?
Hi

Here for Named Hardware. Hardware properties.

ice_screenshot_20201022-203600.png

When you are testing. Are yo shutting down AM then restarting after moving the arduino around?
Does the arduino show in the devices tab?

AM3.7
ice_screenshot_20201022-205008.png

AM4. beta (build14)
ice_screenshot_20201022-211309.png
Keith
AMD RYZEN 9 5950X CPU, Corsair H80I cooler, ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS AMD Ryzen Mother Board,  32Gb ram Corsair Vengeance 3000Mh, MSI GTX960 4G graphics card 

uptimist

#24 Post by uptimist »

Ah ok, got it. I see what happened - that hardware tab goes away if you use the call with parameters for hw_id, it’s smart enough to know they are set in code.

I’m not shutting down AM routinely, but I have done on occasion, I can try again now. The Arduino shows in the AM tab when connected to that machine. Greyed out when I disconnect. It does not show anywhere when I plug into the AP machine (unless I run another copy of AM on the AP machine, then it does show as a connected device.)

uptimist

#25 Post by uptimist »

So I close down AM and AP on each machine. Restarted AP then AM.
Still get the same “illegal argument list” error.

Keith Baxter

#26 Post by Keith Baxter »

Hi,

OK I think Ralph or Corjan will get involved tomorrow. You have ticked all the boxes so it must be something else.
Sorry I did not solve it, but there is enough information for them to go on.

Keith
AMD RYZEN 9 5950X CPU, Corsair H80I cooler, ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS AMD Ryzen Mother Board,  32Gb ram Corsair Vengeance 3000Mh, MSI GTX960 4G graphics card 

uptimist

#27 Post by uptimist »

Thanks for your help Keith. I am guessing it is something specific to the PC running AP, so my next step is to try a different machine, but I need to work out now to do the COM port numbering for the boards first.

Sling

#28 Post by Sling »

Once the Arduino is flashed the COM port number is irrelevant. In AM world once it’s flashed as a given channel it will be referenced as that channel regardless of the COM port number allocated by the OS.

Did you try Keith’s suggestion of not using a named id?

Tony

uptimist

#29 Post by uptimist »

@Tony - don’t understand what not using a named id means, sorry? Happy to try whatever that is if you could point me in the right direction!

Keith Baxter

#30 Post by Keith Baxter »

uptimist wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 8:50 pm @Tony - don’t understand what not using a named id means, sorry? Happy to try whatever that is if you could point me in the right direction!
Hi,

"Named" is where you assign the I/O pin in the console.

Code: Select all

hw_button_add("Power button", button_pressed, button_released)
"Hardware Id's" is where you assign the I/O pin in code.

Code: Select all

hw_button_add("ARDUINO_MEGA2560_A_D4", button_pressed, button_released)

Keith