Air Player expectations wrong?

Support for Air Player desktop.

Moderators: russ, Ralph

Flingwing

Air Player expectations wrong?

#1 Post by Flingwing »

Hi all...

I am running Air Manager 3.6 on a desktop. I've created a custom instrument that takes analog inputs from an Arduino 2650. I want to run this instrument on a Windows 10 tablet so I installed Air Player on the tablet assuming that Air Manager on the desktop would find the tablet on my network and be able to talk to Air Player. This does not seem to be the case. Air Manager can see my tablet IP address under the Air Manager Devices tab but it is ghosted out and says it's disconnected.

Am I misunderstanding the setup required here? Do I need to also have a licence instance and installed copy of Air Manager on the tablet?

Kind regards in anticipation...
Terry
New Zealand

Sling

Re: Air Player expectations wrong?

#2 Post by Sling »

Terry,

Hopefully i can put your mind at ease by saying this setup should work as you expect. Its pretty much what AP was designed to do.

Can i suggest you try the things mentioned on the wiki. https://siminnovations.com/wiki/index.p ... n_problems

If all that fails please post back here. If one of the solutions works for you please also post back to let everyone know what fixed it for you.

Tony

Flingwing

#3 Post by Flingwing »

Hi Tony. Many thanks for the pointers.

I found my way into the Win10 Firewall Manager and for no reason other than it was disabled I enabled the Air Manager Domain Profile in the Inbound Rules section of the Windows Defender Firewall. That suddenly gave me an active Air Player icon (for the Air Player running on my tablet) in Air Manager. All good I thought...however I seem to have confused the licencing side of things by earlier installing and activating Air Player on the desktop pc. So I will see if Ralph or someone can help de-activate the desktop so I can activate the licence on the tablet now...

T

Flingwing

#4 Post by Flingwing »

A dumb question... How many licences of Air Player can I set up given that I only have one Air Manager licence instance?

Thanks
Terry

Sling

#5 Post by Sling »

Terry

You need to have purchased a Licence for each machine you have Air manager or Air player installed on. So in your case you purchase an AM and an AP licence. You can add further AM or AP machines to scale up your system as you see fit. You just need a minimum of one AM to make multiple AP machines work because AM is used for development and for managing and pushing panels to the AP machines. Some users choose to also have multiple AM copies but its not necessary.

Tony

Ralph

#6 Post by Ralph »

Let me know if a license should be reset. Glad to hear that it got solved, bloody firewalls :)

Flingwing

#7 Post by Flingwing »

Thanks Ralph...I couldn't wait so I just bought another licence for Air Player. All working great now...

Next steps -

1. Get a USB 'C' type to USB 'B' type cord to connect my tablet to the Arduino.
2. Wire up the Arduino into the loom with the sensors.
3. Investigate I2C for retreiving the sensor info...maybe. I might be ok with the Arduino analog inputs tho.
Screenshot (8).png
Much excite.

Terry

Ralph

#8 Post by Ralph »

If you can use the analog inputs and no I2C, then you can maybe use a hat board with a few ADC's. Saves you another board. If they exist... Note that you probably also need to add a shutdown button, to prevent corrupted SD cards.

Flingwing

#9 Post by Flingwing »

Thanks Ralph.

The on/off button is a good idea...

I probably have enough analog inputs on the 2560 as it goes for now.

I will have to build a small ac to dc device to convert the ac tacho coil voltage to a dc voltage equating to rpm...either that or a hall effect or optical sensor on the engine to pick up the rpm.

Thanks for the interest and tips, much appreciated.

Up Your Knots
Terry

Ralph

#10 Post by Ralph »

Some RPM gauges wind a wire around one of the sparkplug wire, you'll pick up a pulse. This will probably have to be amplified, but maybe not, I've never tried it.