Universal Avionics EFI-890r

Working on a instrument project or just finished a project? Show it to others!

Moderators: russ, Ralph

brodhaq

Re: Universal Avionics EFI-890r

#11 Post by brodhaq »

Some updates here. I did a short video about them. Sorry for the microphone which quit working few minutes before the end of the video.

Pavel

Pavel Brodský
Prague, Czech Republic

Sling

#12 Post by Sling »

Very impressive work Pavel. I love incorporating this level of detail In my instruments so it’s nice to see others doing similar work. Shame the audio quit towards the end but nice video.

Tony

brodhaq

#13 Post by brodhaq »

So with all the menu and options done and fully working, and with map working very well, it was time to move forward again. This time I started to add weather radar to my EFI. As you know, X-Plane does not have weather radar datarefs. So? So we will make them!
As you know, X-Plane is transmitting weather data via UDP (to be used by their iPhone Control Pad). So my friend has built a small windows app which is listening to that UDP port, and receiving the data. The app then takes the tiny part which is relevant for weather radar simulation, and saves the values into my custom datarefs. Each pixel of the original xplane weather data has values 0-9, where 0 = no rain, 9 = the most rain. We are using 60 datarefs, each of them being a 130 values-long array. Air Manager is reading those datarefs, saving the values into a lua matrix, and the draw function is reading them couple times per second, and plotting the results on canvas (and select colour depending on how much rain there is).

The screenshot is a preview only - the colours are not yet calibrated (I took some random RGB values), the range is not correct, and I have to do some masking of the relevant part of the image. Also we will add the simulation of the radar beam sweep into the windows app, which will update the values as we fly (currently the whole image is updated at once every few seconds).

Am I the first one to have functional weather radar in Air Manager instrument? :twisted:

Also I have to finally finish the TCAS library which is still not working as I would like, and maybe the terrain display comes next after the WXR is finished :D Or I will adjust my EGPWS module to include also RAAS callouts, if I motivate myself enough...

Pavel
200237401_359743985771860_7898933455000042329_n.png
Pavel Brodský
Prague, Czech Republic

Keith Baxter

#14 Post by Keith Baxter »

Very nice Pavel.

I have been discussion with Dr Gluk over this. Never had the time to thoroughly investigate. Was hoping that the SI guys would do something for us.

Awesome that you have something working.

Can you get lightning strike info?

Keith
AMD RYZEN 9 5950X CPU, Corsair H80I cooler, ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS AMD Ryzen Mother Board,  32Gb ram Corsair Vengeance 3000Mh, MSI GTX960 4G graphics card 

brodhaq

#15 Post by brodhaq »

Thank you Keith. I am not sure if there are lightning strike data in the UDP packets, but we did not even look for them, as the real unit does not have lightning detector, so I have no use for them currently. But I will eventually check, would love to do a stormscope for an old Pa-28 panel 😎
Maybe the SI guys could do something similar, but I am not sure if they can actually listen do UDP port from inside their xplane plugin. There is no other way to get the meteo data as far as I know. Some guys tried sniffing the weather map texture from OpenGL buffer, but it makes no sense now with Vulkan

PB
Pavel Brodský
Prague, Czech Republic