MSFS Carenado Mooney Panel

Working on a instrument project or just finished a project? Show it to others!

Moderators: russ, Ralph

Evil-Alan

MSFS Carenado Mooney Panel

#1 Post by Evil-Alan »

Recently bought AirManager with the intent to run it on my Surface Pro as an instrument panel for some GA aircraft. I also recently purchased the Carenado Mooney for MSFS and found someone else's work for the top panels in the community panels for Xplane. I cloned those panels and made changes so that it would work with the Carenado version of the Mooney on MSFS. I made a real simple panel with some of the other free instruments which I think represents the pilots side of the cockpit pretty well.

I also created a github repo for work I might do in the future. I'm pretty new to AirManager but do have some experience with lua.
https://github.com/busybox42/AirManager-Plugins

Cheers!

Sling

Re: MSFS Carenado Mooney Panel

#2 Post by Sling »

Hi,

Welcome to the forum.

The method for sharing your work is to submit what you’ve done to the community store using the submit button. If you search the forum for submissions you’ll find some guidelines for this. When updating instruments or using work previously done by others I think you should ask the authors permission before re-sharing particularly important as you seem to be sharing their work away from the community store. If you’ve already done that then I guess that’s fine.

This following note applies here but is also in general for everyone to note.

Updates to existing store instruments should have the same UUID as the original but with a later version number unless the specific intention is not to update the original but create another instance in the store of what is essentially the same instrument. There would need to be a good reason why the second approach is taken.

Evil-Alan

#3 Post by Evil-Alan »

Thanks for the info, I suppose I didn't realize all of that. I think these do need to be different instruments if put in the store as the changes I made will affect the Xplane version in probably an undesirable way. For example I changed some of the math to get the dials on the gauges to line up like they are in the game. Also and perhaps due to my knowledge of the api I did some math to round the rpm's to the nearest 10th to make it match the game and the bus volts was negative when in game it was positive so I did some math to reverse it. Is there a method for contacting the original publisher?

Sling

#4 Post by Sling »

There are many examples of instruments that work for multiple sims already in the store and it’s the norm so I would suggest you take a look at the methods used in those to get the concept. It’s really quite straight forward. If you need some help with that just ask away on the forum and someone will jump in to help. Ralph has been adding FS2020 support to a lot of the existing instruments already.

As for contacting the author I would pm them if you know their forum name. If not Ralph may be able to help with putting a name to a forum name. It’s something that’s a little lacking. I think I’ll add to the submission guidelines to suggest forum names are included so authors are easier to contact. I guess Ralph or Corjan from Sim Innovations would have to advise the suggested approach if the author cannot be reached.

Hope this helps.

Crunchmeister

#5 Post by Crunchmeister »

You might want to check out my group's GitHub for other Mooney instruments. These will be submitted to the community store shortly.

https://github.com/Simstrumentation/Air ... ooney_M20R
- Ryzen 5950x, 64GB 3600MHz RAM, RTX3070Ti

Simstrumentation Instrument dev
Free Air Manager instruments for MSFS available at http://www.simstrumentation.com

Evil-Alan

#6 Post by Evil-Alan »

Crunchmeister I checked out your work, well done! This is a great addition to the Mooney instruments. I am glad there are more people working on the Mooney which has been my favorite GA aircraft to fly in sims for a number of years now.

Crunchmeister

#7 Post by Crunchmeister »

Yeah. There are a lot of great genetic instruments in AM that work great for building genetic panels. But there are gaps when it comes to specific planes. And I try to fill them for those planes I fly.
- Ryzen 5950x, 64GB 3600MHz RAM, RTX3070Ti

Simstrumentation Instrument dev
Free Air Manager instruments for MSFS available at http://www.simstrumentation.com

Sling

#8 Post by Sling »

While on the topic of the Mooney. Does anyone have any opinions about its current state as a viable aircraft. The reason I ask is I’ve read a lot of stuff suggesting that using this aircraft since it was released for the MSFS platform has been a roller coaster ride with deep dips. I hear flight model performance, fuel selector inop, lights issues etc etc. I know some of this is fixed but I don’t trust Carenado at all based on their past update/support track record. Just wondered how it is today and any insight to its future.

Evil-Alan

#9 Post by Evil-Alan »

The fuel selector, radio and speed breaks bugs that were introduced after sp5 have been fixed. The flight model has also definitely been adjusted too. I will say I am not a pilot but this new flight model seems more realistic as I am pretty sure the real plane can't climb to like it use to.

Mccluress

#10 Post by Mccluress »

I made some of the older X-Plane Mooney stuff a while back while I was just learning everything. I’m sure if you are more familiar with coding you probably caught some mistakes. Those were my first ones made so go easy on me! Haha. MSFS2020 wasn’t even thought up when I made those!