G3X Touch for single engine turboprop

Working on a instrument project or just finished a project? Show it to others!

Moderators: russ, Ralph

Ralph

G3X Touch for single engine turboprop

#1 Post by Ralph »

Since I fly helicopters in real life, I thought it would be interesting to make a fixed wing simulator for myself, to get some experience with that as well.
I'm very fond of aircraft like the Cessna C208 Caravan and the Quest Kodiak. So I decided to go for a generic single engine turboprop setup, mostly based on the Kodiak cockpit.

I'm still working on the 3D design, had to get the touch screen first. I've ordered a Asus VT168N 15.6" touch screen, which eventually I'll order another one from to have a two screen cockpit.
I don't really like the G1000, so I decided to make an instrument based on the Garmin G3X Touch 10.1, which should work perfectly with the touch screen.

This is what I have so far. It's something I work on in the evening hours, just for fun. I might add it to the store later on, but it'll be specifically made for the C208 or Kodiak, I have no plans to make it generic.
The part that is still black is going to be a split screen, that has PFD on the left, and various functions on the right, or a full screen PFD. I'll see if I can make it animated, just like the G3X.

All engine the gauges are currently a guestimate, I have to fine tune those with the flight sim model.
g3xv1.jpg

Glenn

Re: G3X Touch for single engine turboprop

#2 Post by Glenn »

Looking good Ralph. Obviously this will need GPS capability at some point to make it complete... are you still planning GPS functionality for AM in the future?

Regards

Glenn

xp-wym

#3 Post by xp-wym »

Looks good and will make a great demo - you wont have to worry about the myriad of 'soft keys' that Garmin have placed on their G1000.

Ralph

#4 Post by Ralph »

@Glenn: At first it's going to be a moving map. Next year it'll have GPS functionality. It's still on our road map for 2018. Maybe even synthetic vision in the far future.
@xp-wym: Exactly, I don't wan't to make all sorts of custom components, using touch makes it very simple. And this is the route that Garmin is going anyway, looking at the G3X, GTN750, GTN650, etc....

I implemented the split screen mode today, it's not doing anything else then splitting the screen at the moment. The split screen button on the top actually has to become a switch that shows it's active when the screen is split, no matter what mode it is in (frequencies, engine data, map, etc...).

It's running on old hardware, a GTX 260, which is running X-Plane 11 as well. So that's why it's stuttering a bit.

Ralph

#5 Post by Ralph »

Another update, this shows the basics of how I want to implement the pages. I've started with the engine page, which is very dull at the moment. There's going to be some graph bars in there, but I needed something quick.

Aviador_Virtual

#6 Post by Aviador_Virtual »

Hello, looking very nice so far ... any progress ? or plan to upload ?.... i also fly in my pit single engine turboprop and would like to test and maybe continue working on it now i´m geting the hand on LUA, had already modified some instruments to my prefered turboprop wich is the STMA PC12.

thanks

Ralph

#7 Post by Ralph »

It's made for Air Manager 3.0. It's also far from ready, so that won't be this year I'm afraid.

Aviador_Virtual

#8 Post by Aviador_Virtual »

Thanks for feedback.

BR

mrozema

#9 Post by mrozema »

Hi, I'm interested in the G3X. How much further did you get Ralph?
I am part of a group putting together a simulator with an instrument panel that will house three G3X units. Two landscape and one rotated to portrait.
I think right now we're hoping to have a Raspberry Pi behind each G3X.
Also, our aircraft is a bit different from yours, so I expect to have to customize a fair bit. It will be equipped with two GE CJ610 turbojets. Whoo hoo!

Thanks,
Matt.

Ralph

#10 Post by Ralph »

This was a project when I had plans to build a simulator. I never continued that project due to various reasons. And now since I'm moving to a new (actually very old) smaller house, chances even got slimmer :)
I'll see if I can find the instrument somewhere and post it here. But to be honest, I'm not sure if it is of much use.