Glareshield Neon Tubes with Arduino and LEDs

Working on a instrument project or just finished a project? Show it to others!

Moderators: russ, Ralph

marcel_felde

Glareshield Neon Tubes with Arduino and LEDs

#1 Post by marcel_felde »

I am coding the behaviour of the Interio Lighting of our sim. This is so far the simulation of the neon light starter:

JackZ

Re: Glareshield Neon Tubes with Arduino and LEDs

#2 Post by JackZ »

That’s what I call dedication to details! Well done
My YouTube Chanel on the A320 (Real SOPs by an Airline Pilot IRL):
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 0Q6SBASRqJ

marcel_felde

#3 Post by marcel_felde »

Thank you so much! In fact, I have been inspired by the IXEG 737 years ago. :)

This effect is random btw. It sometimes starts better, sometimes slower. I should bind this to the aircraft cabin temperature. ;)

Ralph

#4 Post by Ralph »

I was thinking of temperature and you said it, that would even be nicer, but it already is. If you go all the way, I suppose they start faster (IRL) when they have been on earlier before. Is there maybe also a 60(?)Hz flicker IRL? Not sure if you would want that, it would drive you nuts :lol:
It might also be interesting as a hardware function for us to add.

marcel_felde

#5 Post by marcel_felde »

In fact, there is already a temperature factor on it. So if you start it again, it should be faster. But I have to finetune this. And it is not yet depending on the cabin temperature. ;)

Keith Baxter

#6 Post by Keith Baxter »

Hi,

For flicker, You could use the timer function. 60hz = 16.666666666667 ms

Keith
AMD RYZEN 9 5950X CPU, Corsair H80I cooler, ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS AMD Ryzen Mother Board,  32Gb ram Corsair Vengeance 3000Mh, MSI GTX960 4G graphics card 

Keith Baxter

#7 Post by Keith Baxter »

marcel_felde wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 2:29 pm I am coding the behaviour of the Interio Lighting of our sim.
Marcel,

Can you elaborate a bit on "our sim" please. I see you refer to it freely and I am intrigued why it is not my sim.

Keith
AMD RYZEN 9 5950X CPU, Corsair H80I cooler, ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS AMD Ryzen Mother Board,  32Gb ram Corsair Vengeance 3000Mh, MSI GTX960 4G graphics card 

marcel_felde

#8 Post by marcel_felde »

Sorry @Keith Baxter , it is more about our hardware, our PA-42 simulator, not about 'our software'. ;)

Feel free to visit my Instagram Account for more information. :)

MF_2102202_0009.jpg

marcel_felde

#9 Post by marcel_felde »

Neon_Tube.jpg
Neon_Tube.jpg (28.65 KiB) Viewed 4096 times
The code for the neon tube simulation was in X-Plane before. Now I have done it also in AM. With a GUI, temperature simulation and simulation of the starter depending on the voltage. Overall brightness depends on voltage too.
The only variables that come from X-Plane are the cockpit temperature, the tubes voltage and the position of the dimmer knob.

The flickering, visible in videos, does not come from any gauges update rates but from the brightness function of AM. In fact I am using the LED function at the moment. Did not try the PWM option yet.
When filming with 60 FPS, it is smooth. But I don't have the option at my smartphone. So I did the video with the DSLR.

bartroozendaal

#10 Post by bartroozendaal »

marcel_felde wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 2:29 pm I am coding the behaviour of the Interio Lighting of our sim. This is so far the simulation of the neon light starter:
That is so cool. Are you open sourcing the code for this? I wouldn't mind having this as my future lights in my cockpit :-)
Bart Roozendaal
https://fsarduino.com