TBM 930 instruments, hardware, software, and an intro.

Working on a instrument project or just finished a project? Show it to others!

Moderators: russ, Ralph

hiddencreative

TBM 930 instruments, hardware, software, and an intro.

#1 Post by hiddencreative »

First some background, and since this is my first post it will cover a lot. My projects have been expanding over the last few months. I have been working on overlays and instruments for MSFS 2020 and x-plane for the glass cockpit on the TBM 930. This all started from an interest in Arduino and being a real life pilot, bringing the two together into flight sims is the natural progression. I found the DIY Knobster, designed and resin printed a case (I have a Elegoo Saturn, and 2 Creality 3D printers), and used it with Air Manager on some simple panels. Then I met Keith and joined the Air Man Discord. Keith and I worked on a project together, and here I am.

By trade I am Software Engineer, in the security industry, with an advanced degree in the same, but I started out 30 years ago in the electronics engineering space as a hardware engineer. So I understand both the software and hardware sides, am well versed in graphics design, 3D modeling, and CAD. I have the following projects in flight or completed right now.

1. DIY Knobster - complete (MSFS 2020 and X-plane)
2. G1000, full replica build to Garmins design specifics, Full working hardware, knobs, buttons, - complete (works fully with MSFS 2020 and X-plane)
3. Complete cockpit build with touch screen, above G1000, Honeycomb Alpha, Bravo, rudder pedals, Logitech Radio Stack, and 22" touch screen and DIY knobster. (MSFS 2020 and X-plane

Air Manager Instruments in other items in progress for MSFS:

1. Garmin G1000 (PFD/MFD) working overlay Mobiflight/RSG- nearing completion (MSFS 2020)
2. Garmin G3000 (PFD/MFD) working overlay- complete (MSFS 2020)
3. Garmin GTC 580 working overlay - complete (MSFS 2020)
4. Garmin GMC 710 nearing completion (MSFS 2020)

Other items coming up:

1. Switch panels and indicators to complete all the instruments on the TBM 930/40 (coming soon)
2. Adding functionality to all the instruments for x-plane
3. Adding functionality to all the overlays for both Mobiflight and Real Sim Group connectors
4. Developing my own generic connector to MSFS 2020 for those that are not using Mobiflight/RSG

And the most important item...

My ultimate goal is to create a series of flight instruments for Air Manager that are photo realistic. As a pilot I am fortunate to be in an area where I have an international airport, several executive airports, and about 8 other GA airports, including a major university with a great aeronautical program within 50 miles of me. My goal is to leverage that to take photographs of actual instruments, convert them down to a manageable size and use them to release a series of instruments that look as close to the real deal as possible.

To see some eye candy from a few things I have been working on, please visit the Air Man Discord. I will also have my own discord server, related to my own development that I am working on and will post up later. But you can always find me on Air Man. Sometime I do live streaming there while working on instrument development. Basically, this was a long post to provide and introduction, and say that I am available to provide some guidance or answer some questions related to some of the projects I have been working on, which many of you are working on as well.

Joe - Hidden Creative Industries
Last edited by hiddencreative on Sat May 01, 2021 4:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
joe -at- hiddencreative -dot- org
https://discord.gg/WMKCC9fp

jph

Re: TMB 930 instruments, hardware, software, and an intro.

#2 Post by jph »

First some background, and since this is my first post it will cover a lot. My projects have been expanding over the last few months. I have been working on overlays and instruments for MSFS 2020 and x-plane for the glass cockpit on the TMB 930. This all started from an interest in Arduino and being a real life pilot, bringing the two together into flight sims is the natural progression. I found the DIY Knobster, designed and resin printed a case (I have a Elegoo Saturn, and 2 Creality 3D printers), and used it with Air Manager on some simple panels. Then I met Keith and joined the Air Man Discord. Keith and I worked on a project together, and here I am.

By trade I am Software Engineer, in the security industry, with an advanced degree in the same, but I started out 30 years ago in the electronics engineering space as a hardware engineer. So I understand both the software and hardware sides, am well versed in graphics design, 3D modeling, and CAD. I have the following projects in flight or completed right now.

1. DIY Knobster - complete (MSFS 2020 and X-plane)
2. G1000, full replica build to Garmins design specifics, Full working hardware, knobs, buttons, - complete (works fully with MSFS 2020 and X-plane)
3. Complete cockpit build with touch screen, above G1000, Honeycomb Alpha, Bravo, rudder pedals, Logitech Radio Stack, and 22" touch screen and DIY knobster. (MSFS 2020 and X-plane

Air Manager Instruments in other items in progress for MSFS:

1. Garmin G1000 (PFD/MFD) working overlay Mobiflight/RSG- nearing completion (MSFS 2020)
2. Garmin G3000 (PFD/MFD) working overlay- complete (MSFS 2020)
3. Garmin GTC 580 working overlay - complete (MSFS 2020)
4. Garmin GMC 710 nearing completion (MSFS 2020)

Other items coming up:

1. Switch panels and indicators to complete all the instruments on the TBM 930/40 (coming soon)
2. Adding functionality to all the instruments for x-plane
3. Adding functionality to all the overlays for both Mobiflight and Real Sim Group connectors
4. Developing my own generic connector to MSFS 2020 for those that are not using Mobiflight/RSG

And the most important item...

My ultimate goal is to create a series of flight instruments for Air Manager that are photo realistic. As a pilot I am fortunate to be in an area where I have an international airport, several executive airports, and about 8 other GA airports, including a major university with a great aeronautical program within 50 miles of me. My goal is to leverage that to take photographs of actual instruments, convert them down to a manageable size and use them to release a series of instruments that look as close to the real deal as possible.

To see some eye candy from a few things I have been working on, please visit the Air Man Discord. I will also have my own discord server, related to my own development that I am working on and will post up later. But you can always find me on Air Man. Sometime I do live streaming there while working on instrument development. Basically, this was a long post to provide and introduction, and say that I am available to provide some guidance or answer some questions related to some of the projects I have been working on, which many of you are working on as well.

Hi Joe,
With the greatest respect, I do not see how
As a pilot I am fortunate to be in an area where I have an international airport, several executive airports, and about 8 other GA airports, including a major university with a great aeronautical program within 50 miles of me
Or most of the other ... preamble..., albeit 'reasonably' interesting and somewhat informative - Has ABSOLUTELY ANYHING at all to do with the prerequisites to accomplish -
My goal is to leverage that to take photographs of actual instruments, convert them down to a manageable size and use them to release a series of instruments that look as close to the real deal as possible.
I am really happy that you want to add to the collection with high res instruments when that can be accomplished, in most cases, on the ground.
It is super that your end goal is to add to the community, I just don't understand, what you seem to understand as prerequisites or benefits. WHERE you fly has no real meaning ? :?: :?: :?: :?:
:shock:
All contributions are welcome of course.

Nice to see you here amongst the many pilots already present, some RL commercial / heavy pilots, some private, both recreational and very experienced.
Enjoy. . ;)
Welcome on board and nice to have you here.
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

hiddencreative

Re: TBM 930 instruments, hardware, software, and an intro.

#3 Post by hiddencreative »

jph wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:21 am I just don't understand, what you seem to understand as prerequisites or benefits. WHERE you fly has no real meaning ?
Hello jph,

There is no prerequisite to be here. The benefit of the post was to merely stating that I am fortunate enough to have a considerable amount of resources (lots of different types of aircraft) in close proximity to me, and I am fairly active in the flight community. I am hoping that I can utilize that to my advantage to gain access to a number of aircraft that I may not -- under other circumstances -- have access to, in order to be able to photograph and create near photo real instruments. Some people may not care if their instruments look real, or not, and that is okay. But my intention is to develop more photo realistic versions for those that are, not persuade those that are not.

The post was just as the title suggested.

1. Some was an introduction, since I really don't post here, and now know you know a little about me and what I am working on.
2. To follow that up, some was a little information on how I plan to accomplish that, which included the area I am in, and availability of various types of A/C.
3. And some was directed directly at the topic (TMB 9 instruments), which I am actively working on and have many working components at this time.

That was the purpose.

And thank you for the warm welcome.
Last edited by hiddencreative on Sun May 02, 2021 4:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sling

Re: TMB 930 instruments, hardware, software, and an intro.

#4 Post by Sling »

TMB 930 instruments, hardware, software, and an intro.
It seems you think it’s a TMB as that’s used a few times in your posts. I think you’ll find that’s TBM and not TMB. It might help others find this thread in future if it refers to the right aircraft. For information there are others who post here who are working on TBM panels also. I also have them on my list down the track. So many others to tackle.

hiddencreative

#5 Post by hiddencreative »

Sling wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:53 pm
TMB 930 instruments, hardware, software, and an intro.
It seems you think it’s a TMB as that’s used a few times in your posts. I think you’ll find that’s TBM and not TMB. It might help others find this thread in future if it refers to the right aircraft. For information there are others who post here who are working on TBM panels also. I also have them on my list down the track. So many others to tackle.
Thanks, I corrected the typo.

Mike Horsten

#6 Post by Mike Horsten »

Let me just say :welcome
Building a home Cessna 172SP Steam. X-plane/MFS2020
(ex Name on Airmanager forum Polarair)

nikegds

#7 Post by nikegds »

Look forward to your input and expertise....

Best
nikegds