Help for Carenado Saab 340B instruments

Working on a instrument project or just finished a project? Show it to others!

Moderators: russ, Ralph

JackZ

Re: Help for Carenado Saab 340B instruments

#11 Post by JackZ »

Last one. Have you tried and searched for all the Datarefs that start with Thranda in dataref editor?
For nearly all the Carenado I know of, their published Datarefs always starts with Thranda/xxx so if you are lucky, one or more transmission oil Dataref might creep up
My YouTube Chanel on the A320 (Real SOPs by an Airline Pilot IRL):
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 0Q6SBASRqJ

Sling

#12 Post by Sling »

Not all Carenado datarefs start with Thranda even if Thranda where involved in the project. It’s a good check though. Some start with dk. There may be others.

Ralph

#13 Post by Ralph »

JackZ wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 5:00 am I don’t own the Saab 340 but from my experience with others Carenado planes, they are more than often poorly developed systemwise, although they are very nice looking aircrafts externally and internally.
This reminds me of an article I read a couple of months ago. I think it was Thranda, who stopped developing for Carenado. He said, in a friendly way, that Carenado is only interested in producing as many aircraft as possible. There was no time for proper systems in depth and support.

Sling

#14 Post by Sling »

That sounds about right. Although IMHO Thranda are not as blameless as they would have you believe. I’ve seen things done where a better implementation could of been achieved with the same level of effort.

Detlef

#15 Post by Detlef »

Jacques,

thank you for your suggestions. I have tried a lot of course, but will do so with your named datarefs, in case I overlooked them. Tomorrow I cannot work on this but after that.
There are not that many Thranda specific datarefs. Many were just standard X-Plane datarefs, as you say.

Tony,
right, I will do that. I got their customer support satifaction survey, have not replied yet.

Thank you
Detlef

Detlef

#16 Post by Detlef »

JackZ wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 5:21 am Have you tried:
sim/cockpit2/transmissions/indicators/oil_temperature float Transmission oil temperature. Units are the same as the max oil temperature in acf
sim/cockpit2/transmissions/indicators/oil_pressure float Transmission oil_pressure

I have the feeling that these two values should yield some result

Jacques
Hello Jacques,
thanks again for your suggestions. The temperature dataref above is somewhat close, but shows 0..10 degrees or so lower than the prop oil temp gauge in the aircraft. And also, the S340B has two engines, but the dataref is just one value. Is there only one transmission? Sorry if a silly question. I see, if I shutdown one engine both gauges show the same value and then, it is pretty much the same as the dataref.
So I have decided, to just use the the transmission temp dataref.

For the pressure: The oil pressure dataref also has only one value. If I shut down one engine, the prop oil gauge for that engine goes to zero. The dataref goes from .9 to .45. That is with engines in idle thrust. If I throttle up to full thrust, the dataref shows .9998, the pressure gauges show 50 (down from 110 with both engines in idle). The dependance from torque maybe there but is not simple.

BTW, I used 326 kg of fuel just seaching datarefs on the ground. I really need to do some flying, got the aircraft down in one piece the day before in Madeira.

Thank you
Detlef

JackZ

#17 Post by JackZ »

Yes, I also found it weird that the transmission Datarefs seemed to be single values and not an array of values based per engine as usual.
I think in Laminar’s mind the transmission is for helicopters with two turbines on a single transmission shaft.

From videos I saw of the real SAAB 340 startup, the prop oil temp seems to be -10C lower than the turbine oil, which is weird, I would have thought that the gearbox would heat up more.
Should be checked in flight and a take/off where the torque is maximum.
Anyways knowing Carenado, they probably « invented » out the prop oil values from the engine ones.

Jacques
My YouTube Chanel on the A320 (Real SOPs by an Airline Pilot IRL):
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 0Q6SBASRqJ

Detlef

#18 Post by Detlef »

JackZ wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 10:46 am Yes, I also found it weird that the transmission Datarefs seemed to be single values and not an array of values based per engine as usual.
I think in Laminar’s mind the transmission is for helicopters with two turbines on a single transmission shaft.

From videos I saw of the real SAAB 340 startup, the prop oil temp seems to be -10C lower than the turbine oil, which is weird, I would have thought that the gearbox would heat up more.
Should be checked in flight and a take/off where the torque is maximum.
Anyways knowing Carenado, they probably « invented » out the prop oil values from the engine ones.

Jacques
saab2.jpg
Hi Jacques,

<<I think in Laminar’s mind the transmission is for helicopters with two turbines on a single transmission shaft.>>
:) may be

<<Anyways knowing Carenado, they probably « invented » out the prop oil values from the engine ones.>>
I am in contact with Carenado, trying to get a follow-up reply on my comments.

Nevertheless, I enjoy flying the aircraft. I append a picture of my cockpit setup. As it is I can operate it well without having to switch cameras except for generator starts and other functions needed only once or twice per flight.

Thank you
Detlef

Detlef

#19 Post by Detlef »

Just a short update.

Carenado closed my ticket without any additional message. I have sent my support satisfaction survey accordingly, also saying I will not buy other Carenado aircrafts because it is a too big a risk for me. Here even without modifying the product I got no help.

For me this issue is closed. I fly the aircraft now with my cockpit not fully complete, but I will not try to talk other people out of buying Carenado products. For them they may be ok, not for me, though.

Thank you
Detlef

Ralph

#20 Post by Ralph »

I haven't been following this closely. But is it not possible to mimic some data (maybe already suggested)? Based on outside temperature, torque, etc...