TBM 900 Cockpit Build Update

Working on a instrument project or just finished a project? Show it to others!

Moderators: russ, Ralph

toneill

TBM 900 Cockpit Build Update

#1 Post by toneill »

Hello
Its been awhile since I was last here. A few things like a lightning strike and cataract surgery put the TBM cockpit on hold for several months, but I am back in business.

Last posts related to the Hotstart TBM 900 cockpit build, which I called version 1. I used Air Manager to interface with hardware switches and X-plane 11. I learned a lot from that project and so began version 2 this January.

This more ambitious version 2 project combines software panels built with Air Manager and hosted on a touch screen monitor. Air Manager also interfaces with 4 Arduinos ( 2 Uno an 2 Mega) . A future version 3 project will attempt a realistically constructed and functional TBM 900 cockpit, but for the moment that is beyond my current skill level. So the concept with version 2 is to build a single 12 inch by 36 inch panel which can be easily installed and removed so I can do other work when I want to. Since I also like to fly the Aerobask Eclipse and Epic 1000 I wanted to be able to construct similar panels to fly these aircraft, just by simply exchanging panels. That is the concept and it has worked well so far. It is not a realistic layout but an approximate one. Since this whole project is for fun, this suits me just fine.

There are over 100 hardware connections with some more to be added. Air Manager interfaces with the four microprocessors. I adapted the G1000 overlay from the Sim Innovations instrument store and I am building some instrument panels of my own. I have a master caution/warning instrument which works on my touchscreen monitor and is essential to kill that loud warning which blares so regularly when testing. Now i just touch the screen instrument to cancel the warning.

Here is an image of my current progress.

My setup uses two new and fairly high powered desktop computers - one is I9 with 32 GB memory and the other i7 with 16 GB. The I9 runs the sim and air manager and currently uses 2 monitors -touch screen on the left. The I7 runs the 3 monitors on the top showing the views out the cockpit window. Currently these are 24 inch monitors but I want to replace them eventually with 3 x50 in tv's in the future to provide a better partial surround view.

Enough for now. Looking forward to questions and suggestions. If anyone wants advice on my experience I would love to help.

cheers
Ted
Attachments
TBM 900.jpg

Keith Baxter

Re: TBM 900 Cockpit Build Update

#2 Post by Keith Baxter »

Hi,

I am busy with the TBM850 and TBM930 ATM.

I should have the stl files for the GMC710 available mid next week. Tweaking the knobs so that they are a tight fit and sorting out the scroll wheel.

This build you can catch the eye candy of the development on the Discord.
I am using the dimensions from here.
http://static.garmin.com/pumac/GMC710_I ... Manual.pdf

Sorry, I have images but just do not have the appetite to go through the process of resizing and changing from jpg to png.

Keith

EDIT: Ok I did one while waiting for F1 qually to start. :D
gmc710_v1.png
Code is done. I did the GMC710 for the HMB sr22 that is in the store.
Last edited by Keith Baxter on Sat Mar 27, 2021 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AMD RYZEN 9 5950X CPU, Corsair H80I cooler, ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS AMD Ryzen Mother Board,  32Gb ram Corsair Vengeance 3000Mh, MSI GTX960 4G graphics card 

toneill

#3 Post by toneill »

Thanks Keith
Are you referring to the Discord server where the Hotstart developers hang out?
Ted

toneill

#4 Post by toneill »

Great. Thanks Keith. Built with you 3D printer?

Keith Baxter

#5 Post by Keith Baxter »

toneill wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 2:05 pm Thanks Keith
Are you referring to the Discord server where the Hotstart developers hang out?
Ted
No,

Air Man Discord.
https://siminnovations.com/forums/viewt ... f=4&t=4422

Keith
AMD RYZEN 9 5950X CPU, Corsair H80I cooler, ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS AMD Ryzen Mother Board,  32Gb ram Corsair Vengeance 3000Mh, MSI GTX960 4G graphics card 

Keith Baxter

#6 Post by Keith Baxter »

toneill wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 2:06 pm Great. Thanks Keith. Built with you 3D printer?
Hi

Yes.

Keith