My set of basic instruments

Working on a instrument project or just finished a project? Show it to others!

Moderators: russ, Ralph

a13

My set of basic instruments

#1 Post by a13 »

Hi everybody,

i made some basic instruments for myself, which i would like to show to you.
And perhaps someone is interested and gives me a feedback or even a hint what could be optimized?

Please have in mind that i am not a programmer (but a retired military helicopter pilot), so for all the pros out there my coding style may be amateur style to you - yep, you are right :D .
I learned a lot from all the others here (and the wiki of course) and hopefully gave credit to all of you in the scripts.

As i fly mostly twin engine jets (Cessna Mustang and Citation X, Gulfstream G650 and Pilatus PC24) i did not try to copy a real cockpit but to build a versatile set of instruments which use X-Plane datarefs only.

As rotary dials did not really worked for me in flight (for me personally it takes to much time to push, hold, rotate and hit the desired value) i decided to concentrate on a point and click copckpit.
Important for me was a visual feedback of the switches, so i can see with a quick side check if a switch is on or off, in which state the apu is (still starting or operative) and so on.

I would like to start with my first instrument, i began nearly two years ago: Main Batteries, Bus Tie, Avionics Master and Hydraulic.
Battery Avionics and Hydraulic.png
As i said before i am a pilot not a full time developer, i rewrote the script at least twice - everytime i found a better or smarter solution while working on the latest instrument i came back and implemented it in my 'finished' instrument. Some of you will think that i commented to much, but for me it was very usefull to know, what the idea or purpose was after one using the instrument and not developing it constantly.

Perhaps one last thing about the layout: All instruments are fairly large, i personally use them with a height of 180px (50%), so i can 'stack' 6 instruments on a 1080 display.

Stefan (a13)

My wife would say: To much text, where is the business summary at the beginning?

Instrument:
14c9611d-944e-4473-afd6-1345e0999fdb.7z
(281.54 KiB) Downloaded 205 times
Cockpit:
Cockpit FvG May 2020.jpg