Garmin G1000 MFD

Working on a instrument project or just finished a project? Show it to others!

Moderators: russ, Ralph

Keith Baxter

Re: Garmin G1000 MFD

#71 Post by Keith Baxter »

Sling wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 2:14 pm Keith, what’s the point unless you are sitting in an altitude chamber. :lol:

One to skip I think.
LOL Tony,

I got a compressor in the garage. :lol: :lol:

For a few euros/$/Rand worth a try and nice to have that working on the instrument.
Just wondering what output one gets.

Keith
AMD RYZEN 9 5950X CPU, Corsair H80I cooler, ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS AMD Ryzen Mother Board,  32Gb ram Corsair Vengeance 3000Mh, MSI GTX960 4G graphics card 

jph

#72 Post by jph »

Keith Baxter wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 2:24 pm
Sling wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 2:14 pm Keith, what’s the point unless you are sitting in an altitude chamber. :lol:

One to skip I think.
LOL Tony,

I got a compressor in the garage. :lol: :lol:

For a few euros/$/Rand worth a try and nice to have that working on the instrument.
Just wondering what output one gets.

Keith
Hi Keith, for oximetry, you get an output percentage in 02 saturation, where the max is 100%, much lower than around 80- 90 % (assuming an otherwise fit individual) and you are starting to have difficulties
A 'normal' fit adult reading would tend to be around 95 to 98% so you could fix it at that. If needed, - you could build in a bit of code that lowers the level to around 80 to 88% at > 10000 feet and down to 68 /70% at 18000 feet.. at these levels hypoxic signs are manifested leading to the classic pilot hypoxic responses. (again, this is presuming an otherwise very physically fit individual)

Of course, for the type of aircraft, the pressurisation altitude would come into play.
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

Keith Baxter

#73 Post by Keith Baxter »

Joe,

Perhaps I am being misunderstood.

I want to know what output the MAX30100 provides. Digital or Analog so that I can do the math in script and display on the instrument.

There are datarefs for pressure altitude and differential pressure so that can be simulated.

This is the other one for Co2 :lol: :lol: :lol:
MG-811 Sensor

Keith
AMD RYZEN 9 5950X CPU, Corsair H80I cooler, ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS AMD Ryzen Mother Board,  32Gb ram Corsair Vengeance 3000Mh, MSI GTX960 4G graphics card 

jph

#74 Post by jph »

Keith Baxter wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:05 pm Joe,

Perhaps I am being misunderstood.

I want to know what output the MAX30100 provides. Digital or Analog so that I can do the math in script and display on the instrument.

There are datarefs for pressure altitude and differential pressure so that can be simulated.

This is the other one for Co2 :lol: :lol: :lol:
MG-811 Sensor

Keith
:mrgreen:
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

jph

#75 Post by jph »

Hi Keith, just for reference, there is actually a library for the arduino for the for the MAX30100 that has all the major IR and pulse info which will allow you to check out the interface protocol data. https://www.arduino.cc/reference/en/libraries/max30100/ . It uses an I2C standard interface so you could use a fairly simple message port on a cheapo arduino and get all the digital I2C data from the MAX unit. :D
Quite incredible unit as, in another life in a galaxy far far away - ie, when I was much younger... I was a Paramedic and the Sp02 sensors we used were hooked up to a portable unit that was around the size of a Meanwell SM power supply ! :shock: - and weighed about a kilogram and still used a small lcd to display text info for SP02 and pulse per min :o . I have seen some of the modern units that are literally built into the finger IR sensor. Moore's law in action... :D
The datasheet from maxim also has some great info. The Garmin instrument is pretty incredible !.
I am not a fan of glass cockpits myself - I love the 'steam' gauges, but am still blown away by what these garmin units can do. Amazing stuff.
Last edited by jph on Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

Keith Baxter

#76 Post by Keith Baxter »

Joe,

Thank you for that info. I have ordered two MAX30100 just in case I blow one and will play around see what the results will be.

Keith

jph

#77 Post by jph »

Nice :D
I have just ordered a couple of breakout boards as well to play with as they would be great fun. I am amazed how cheap they are. !
Hook that up to the arduino library I listed via I2C and job sorted.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000598 ... hweb201603_
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

jph

#78 Post by jph »

This library also looks good - in fact goes a little further than the previous, but both have the ability to get all the data and completely set up and read all the max IC registers.
I have just looked at the examples in the arduino IDE and on the second, the output (of the library!) is really simple. In its most basic form, which appears to be all that is needed, you can get two integer values - one for heart rate - the other for Sp02. you could then then pass them to AM as two simple integers.
Worth grabbing this one as well.

All the background work of the libraries are in the .cpp files (and .h) in the library directory so you can look at the real background stuff and see how it compares to the datasheet. Bloody interesting and a thanks go out to the rather smart guys that go to the trouble of creating and releasing such wonderful work. This is one of the reasons I really love arduino. There is virtually a library for everything.

https://www.arduino.cc/reference/en/lib ... x30100lib/

There is, of course ;) - for the arduino - a simple library also for the MG811 sensor.
https://github.com/smart-tech-benin/MG811

This unit basically produces an analogue output that decreases as the C02 rises. The library allows a simple calibration routine listed in the link above. The sensor though, is MUCH more expensive at about 20 to 25 dollars as a breakout board. :o

but, there is another unit much cheaper https://pt.aliexpress.com/item/10050016 ... hweb201603_
This looks to be - to all intents and purposes - a slightly less accurate version of the MG811 so will produce the same output more or less - and will probably work with the above library - as well as the adafruit one listed below. As incredibly high accuracy is simply not needed, this would be fine.

and apparently can be used with the adafruit CSS811 library. https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-ccs ... iring-test

this gives C02 and TVOC.

Of course, if you just wanted to have the code to use the MG811, then it is really simple as it is an ADC output from the sensor so your code would only have to read the value - you can add the calibration by looking at the arduino library which is fairly simple. that could all be done in AM directly. I think though, that it would be better to pass a variable to AM (rather than have a direct ADC input value) via an arduino where all the main work is done on the arduino. (and the sensor(s) are hooked up to the arduino - That way the usage is sensor independent as the arduino is doing all the work. you could even make the arduino accept various c02 sensors and simply convert any outputs of ANY CO2 sensor to AM with the same variable range converted at arduino level, and of course, you could add both the Sp02 oximetry AND the C02 sensor(s) - and anything else - like temp, humidity etc - to the same arduino and the only output to AM is a few variables. Really neat.
All good fun :mrgreen:

We use a log burner (stove) as our heating in the winter, and it will be nice to build a little unit to monitor 02 levels, CO and CO2.. - again, just for fun.

A nice little project for a wet day.
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

Keith Baxter

#79 Post by Keith Baxter »

Hi,

PA46 (350) Air-Frame done and tested with this version.

https://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/f ... 46-malibu/

I will do the PA46 (500) Carenado over the weekend.
PA46_(350).png
Keith
Last edited by Keith Baxter on Thu Jan 28, 2021 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jph

#80 Post by jph »

Nice one Keith, are you going blue around the lips and fingertips yet ? :mrgreen:

I have this vision of you in a sealed garden shed with a vacuum cleaner on suction attempting to lower the pressure to reduce SpO2.... :D :shock:

Lovely job on the Garmin by the way. !

I just cannot get the image out of my head (Henry the hoover in the background) .............................. :P ... 88% .............. 86% ...........82% ............ "what was I looking for " ....... " where am I "........... :mrgreen:
Joe. CISSP, MSc.