PA28R Panel

Working on a instrument project or just finished a project? Show it to others!

Moderators: russ, Ralph

JackZ

Re: PA28R Panel

#31 Post by JackZ »

The problem of the panel the OP posted in that thread is, if I’m not mistaken, that the background is most probably « borrowed » from an existing addon. That might cause some serious copyright issues if ever released for public use.

Moreover IMHO a panel that contains everything on a same 16/9 screen has drawbacks due to the the size of the actual panel: if one want to have « usable » (by this I mean readable) gauges, the fact that the engine gauges plus the secondary gauges are in a 4th or even 5th row make the round gauges very small and barely usable.

So unless you have a 16/9 the size of a 36 inches TV, all the gauges in one panel will be impractical and way too small.
If you put such panel on a tactile screen, the buttons wills be half the size of the original ones, better have small fingers! 8-)
Same applies for the radio stack panel: They tend to eat up way more width in a single panel.

Remember that the primary goal of Air Manager is to display panels outside the main screen, for home cockpits.So the goal is to have gauge size nearly the same as original ones once displayed.
If you end up with as small as instruments as you get by simply detaching your 3D panel in an external view, what’s the point?

If we examine closely the panel made by the OP, we realize that @jasong had to actually make each instrument « pop » out from the panel to be zoomed and readable.A different philosophy I would say, but don’t talk about realism in that case...

For these two reasons, we decided with Gilles not to include the radio stack panel, and I setup a panel that keeps the size of the main gauges really close to the real one. For the same reason, we didn’t include a throttle quadrant, since you already have a physical one.

If one wants a radio stack there exist already one on the store that can be displayed on another screen on another panel.
As for the Autopilot stack, it’s already on the works, since it is meant to be placed on the left of the original.

But do as you please, at least there is one solution, the other one being to bite the bullet and create one panel per you liking.

Jacques
My YouTube Chanel on the A320 (Real SOPs by an Airline Pilot IRL):
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 0Q6SBASRqJ

Kaellis991

#32 Post by Kaellis991 »

Copyright issue aside, would it be possible to modify the background of the @jsong panel to remove everything to the right? For my setup there is no need for the top Nav/com switches, the radio stack, the lighting and battery switches, the throttle, the alternate air nor the EGT.
I am currently using the automatic loading PA28R panel that you and Gilles developed and it is working very well. But that panel would work better for my application if it didn’t have the switches, the alternate air, the EGT gauge, the avionics switch, and all of that writing to the right of the panel.
However, since your panel is embedded in some sort of autoloading thing and not a simple standalone panel, I have no clue how to modify that panel. I for one don’t need the ability to switch between multiple aircraft. And I may be the only simmer that can say that.

JackZ

#33 Post by JackZ »

Why don’t you just move manually the panel partially out if view, using its coordinates?
My YouTube Chanel on the A320 (Real SOPs by an Airline Pilot IRL):
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 0Q6SBASRqJ

Kaellis991

#34 Post by Kaellis991 »

Because this is what I see as the panel in Air Manager and I don’t have a clue what I am seeing or how to modify this multi aircraft auto loader. What I would prefer is what’s in the bottom image with everything to the right of the tape removed. If this was a simple,standalone panel I might be able to edit the graphics and remove the switches and egt gauge, but it’s a complicated multi-aircraft configuration that I can’t modify. Too many moving parts...
4D69AF15-1D4B-49D0-B8F1-D7CC4F15BAB7.jpeg
324C6995-ACF0-4693-8DDC-5BA141A66F17.jpeg
Last edited by Kaellis991 on Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sling

#35 Post by Sling »

Hi @Kaellis991

If you are not that comfortable yet with modifying panels I would suggest you start with a basic panel or even a blank panel and simply add or remove the instruments as needed. This will help you understand how all the panel settings work. I’m afraid there are no short cuts. You have to walk before you can run as the saying goes.

Tony

Kaellis991

#36 Post by Kaellis991 »

I understand that and I know how to make a simple panel by just dragging instruments that are pre made. For me to learn how to create the background graphics and script any instruments would take me more time than I have. I was hoping that I could find someone I could pay to create a custom panel for me. But I guess that is out of the question. I think It would be easy to modify that Arrow III panel if it wasn’t part of a more complicated system. It’s not worth my time any longer trying to get something customized. Think I will go back to the old way with the mouse clicks. It was actually working fine. And now I have a Knobster that I can try using with KnobXP.

jasong

#37 Post by jasong »

Hi everyone,

This project is still much alive, I've been waiting for the update to the arrow from just flight to be released as there were problems with the auto pilot and landing gear.
This should now work properly. I also have been helping REP with the REP Arrow's so there hasn't been much time for this AM panel.
When I'm happy with some updates I've made I'll post the updated version.. no ETA.

The concept behind my panel, is to fit every control of the arrow on a screen as well as some sim commands so that I can have everything on my laptop, as I fly from the couch with textbooks then sitting at the "Sim" desk.
But... When I finish building my real size panel/pit I can just delete as resize the gauges. Anyone can feel free to modify my panel to suit their needs.

I used the just flight graphics to theme the panel as I fly the JF arrow. I haven't asked those guys if I can distribute it to AM yet, as I only want to bother them when it's finished.

Hope this helps.

brlowe

#38 Post by brlowe »

I tried the links to download and test out the panel but the link no longer works. Will there be a new link?

Ralph

#39 Post by Ralph »

brlowe

#40 Post by brlowe »

Ralph wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:01 am Just tried it, still works here.
https://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/f ... novations/
Thanks Ralph for that link but that is not the panel from the first post on this thread.