Instruments submission releases and Online status tracking

Working on a instrument project or just finished a project? Show it to others!

Moderators: russ, Ralph

Keith Baxter

Re: Instruments submission releases and Online status tracking

#51 Post by Keith Baxter »

Ralph wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:21 am This is only Windows. You're forgetting that our software also runs on Mac and Linux. And how would you go about with Air Player? And Air Player on a Raspberry Pi?
Hi

Not sure I understand that response Ralph ?

Font folders for the different operating system reside

windows = windows/fonts
mac = Library/Fonts
linux = /usr/share/fonts

How does Air Player currently use fonts? From the AM font folder I presume or the instrument resource folder. The later we want to make redundant because that is where the licencing issues are, and the reason for vetting.

So the test is. if the font exists in the AM/font folder do nothing. If the font does not exists in the AM/font folder, check the <operating systems> font folder. If it exists them make a temp folder with the font or copy to the AM/font folder. If it does not exists in the <operating systems> font folder, use the default font.
Does one download an instrument directly to <Air Player> ?

Besides, it is not like the AM temp font folder will hold 100s of fonts for an instrument on Air Player. One or two maybe!!

Keith
Last edited by Keith Baxter on Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:40 pm, edited 3 times in total.
AMD RYZEN 9 5950X CPU, Corsair H80I cooler, ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS AMD Ryzen Mother Board,  32Gb ram Corsair Vengeance 3000Mh, MSI GTX960 4G graphics card 

Corjan

#52 Post by Corjan »

Hi,

Both AM and AP have a couple of fonts pre-packaged that you can use in an instrument. These are described on the wiki.

AM and AP never use system fonts, since you never know what is or what isn't available there.
Or fonts might have the same name but look slightly different on different platforms.

Corjan

Keith Baxter

#53 Post by Keith Baxter »

Hi Corjan,
Corjan wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:38 am Both AM and AP have a couple of fonts pre-packaged that you can use in an instrument. These are described on the wiki.
Corjan
Yes that is fully understood. We are discussing streamlining the submission process and the reason for font vetting. What I propose is to make the process easier on Ralph and to be able to have free fonts that have commercial license implications. Could these "pre-packaged " fonts not be extracted from the system font folder and packaged into a temp folder?
Corjan wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:38 am AM and AP never use system fonts, since you never know what is or what isn't available there.
Yes but you could you not check the font folders? Something like the plugin looks for installed sim's. Then add to a temp font folder if found, if not then use the default font.
When a user uploads an instrument from the store AM scans the instrument for .ttf of .oft files. then check the AM font folder then checks the system font folder.
Creates a temp folder or uploads the font from the system font folder to the AM font folder.

Just suggestions. The way I would do it. But you guys know best, and if possible.

Keith
AMD RYZEN 9 5950X CPU, Corsair H80I cooler, ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS AMD Ryzen Mother Board,  32Gb ram Corsair Vengeance 3000Mh, MSI GTX960 4G graphics card 

Ralph

#54 Post by Ralph »

I think there went more time into discussing this then the actual work :) It's not a major task, it's just one of them, but certainly not the biggest.

Keith Baxter

#55 Post by Keith Baxter »

Ralph wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:23 am I think there went more time into discussing this then the actual work :) It's not a major task, it's just one of them, but certainly not the biggest.
LOL Ralph,

If we discuss 50 aspects and come up with 50 solutions then you could laze around your swimming pool sucking on some "Jonge Jenever" rather than vetting instrument submissions.

Ok winter coming your side now. So perhaps no pool lazing getting a tan. Trade that for sitting in front of a log fire teaching you daughter to code. :lol: :lol:

Keith

Ralph

#56 Post by Ralph »

PMDG conversion is not going online yet. It's full (parts of) of X-Plane script, that needs to be removed first and there are a lot of prints in the script.

flyatr

#57 Post by flyatr »

First of all I'm very happy to have Air Manager. It's the best. Period. I'd also like to wish you and your family well and I'm not mad at you or anything.
Ralph wrote:
I have never said that I'm not willing to upload your version(s).
I didn't mean to accuse you. I believe I only said we had to write many e-mails to hash things out.

Allow me to show an abbreviated version of our dialog vis-a-vis my submitted instruments:
flyatr wrote: My changes are also documented in the Info text of the instrument:

V2.10
- adapted for FS 2020
- added user property for power switch and radio selection
Ralph wrote: I've uploaded the original ones with FS2020 conversions. Did you try them? Maybe they are already okay.
flyatr wrote: I fixed [a bug] and added new user properties to ALL radios
Ralph wrote:
I did fix that as well as far as I know: math.floor....
flyatr wrote:
Now what will it take to get my updates to the store (it's more than a bugfix)?
The info that I did more than adapting the instruments to FS 2020 never got through to you! I hope you can see how this is frustrating. And this is not the first time I'm having these problems (viewtopic.php?f=9&t=947).

Sisyphus

Ralph wrote:
@flyatr I was fixing a few bugs yes, I've never said that I didn't touch your script, I don't see the issue?
Well the issue is: we accidentally forked the script because we created different versions working from the same base script. This problem can be solved but it's avoidable.

Everything above - for me - comes down to miscommunication and you need to fix that for the developers' sake as well as your own.

a13

#58 Post by a13 »

Hi all,
do i understand the process itself right:
I submit the instrument for all others to use (and modify)
the scripts are reviewed and modified/improved
but i myself never get the chance to continue working on them again?

Am i correct so far?

All the best
a13

Ralph

#59 Post by Ralph »

No that's not correct. You can always submit a new version.
It is smart to keep a local copy which is your working copy. If you don't do this, and we would ever change something, you could loose your modifications.

flyatr

#60 Post by flyatr »

Just to prove a point - my updates still haven't made it to the store...
3 months and counting. It kills the joy of sharing.