JPI FS-450 Fuel Flow Instrument

Working on a instrument project or just finished a project? Show it to others!

Moderators: russ, Ralph

JackZero

Re: JPI FS-450 Fuel Flow Instrument

#21 Post by JackZero »

The Single Engine FS450 is now submitted. If anyone wants to try it before it gets released, just send me a PM.

Ralph

#22 Post by Ralph »

Thank you. I'll upload some new submitted instruments this week.

JackZero

#23 Post by JackZero »

@Ralph
I just submitted a new version as I encountered a few bugs and updated the instrument description.

Ralph

#24 Post by Ralph »

I uploaded one instrument, that already took quite some time to make suitable for uploading. Hopefully a few more this week :)

Sling

#25 Post by Sling »

Ralph,

I am interested to know what causes you to have to make instruments suitable for upload. Perhaps it’s my simplistic view but if an instrument is not suitable surely it needs to be communicated back to the submitter so they can fix and learn what’s required for the next time. If you are taking it upon yourself to alter the submitted instruments how does the submitter learn the exact details of what needed changing. This is where I think a list of requirements would help. Simply if the instrument does not meet the requirements it will be rejected. You have enough stuff to do without having to tinker with these. They should be ready to upload without changing a thing.

Tony

Ralph

#26 Post by Ralph »

In this case there had been a lot of back and forth already, so I decided to do it myself, to prevent it from turning into a never ending story.

jph

#27 Post by jph »

Sling wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:42 am Ralph,

I am interested to know what causes you to have to make instruments suitable for upload. Perhaps it’s my simplistic view but if an instrument is not suitable surely it needs to be communicated back to the submitter so they can fix and learn what’s required for the next time. If you are taking it upon yourself to alter the submitted instruments how does the submitter learn the exact details of what needed changing. This is where I think a list of requirements would help. Simply if the instrument does not meet the requirements it will be rejected. You have enough stuff to do without having to tinker with these. They should be ready to upload without changing a thing.

Tony
I think the above may well be misguided.
That view can appear, on the surface to be appropriate. However it may well be, and probably is short sighted, and almost certainly is a very 'simplistic view.'
imho, A ' list of requirements ' may appear at first glance to offer a solution, but in reality any ' list of requirements' , in coding, is by it's very nature an unrealistic 'objective' target which mostly becomes a 'subjective' target as It is more often than not open to 'interpretation' and misunderstanding as no list can be totally objective and comprehensive. Hence, to maintain a desired standard, I believe it is always going to be the case that some form of manual intervention is both appropriate and necessary for the accepted items that become available to the public on the main dl section.

'Simply if the instrument does not meet the requirements it will be rejected'

Hmm, errm, well, if we follow your suggestion, then .. in a moving target and the whole issue of differing standards of coding and approaches of such, that does not and should not really appear to work for the main site which has very high standards to maintain any may hint at a lack of understanding.
However, if you want to approach it from some 'off - MAIN - site' offerings that may be offered for download in your personally 'acceptable' state, then you have to be - errm - 'realistic', and I am sure you could monitor and correct and standardise offerings for such an approach by checking each upload manually for your personal standard of conformity............ ;) - ergo - back to square 1. :o :)

As for- If you are taking it upon yourself to alter the submitted instruments how does the submitter learn the exact details of what needed changing then, partly, and probably mostly, from the above, and also the fact that, as was stated, this took place after a lot of communication that was taking more time that to simply DIY - or so it appears.
Ralph wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:09 pm In this case there had been a lot of back and forth already, so I decided to do it myself, to prevent it from turning into a never ending story.
I don't think it is a matter of 'rocket surgery' ;) . Just more a case of understanding of the realities of offering such a diverse and superb platform aimed at ALL levels of users and the fact that there is no specific 'rule' for coding. AS per all languages, a sentence can be spoken in many different ways, all with the same meaning.

Just because James T Kirk wanted to 'boldly go' still does not excuse the use of the 'split infinitive' :lol: - but has become acceptable to the great unwashed.
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

Keith Baxter

#28 Post by Keith Baxter »

Hi,

Nice short sweet post. I wonder how many weeks I will keep @Ralph busy when I submit the G1000. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

200.gif
200.gif (988.87 KiB) Viewed 3431 times

Keith
AMD RYZEN 9 5950X CPU, Corsair H80I cooler, ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS AMD Ryzen Mother Board,  32Gb ram Corsair Vengeance 3000Mh, MSI GTX960 4G graphics card 

jph

#29 Post by jph »

:D :mrgreen: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

JackZero

#30 Post by JackZero »

I found quite a lot of bugs after the last code changes and did a major code update yesterday (finally using the MVC approach I suggested as a best practice). A first test flight appears to be promising, but after the last experience finding too many bugs after release, I have asked Ralph not to test the previous versions and won't submit the new one until it's thoroughly tested. So if anyone wants to help testing the FS 450, here it is...
JPI FS 450.siff
(119.88 KiB) Downloaded 196 times
If you find bugs, have any question or think that any of the user properties needs clarification, just drop me a line. Or if anyone wants to help add FSX, P3D or MSFS support (currently it's XP only), feel free to add to the code.

From the description:

Replication of the JPI FuelScan 450 according to POH for single engine planes.
Graphics by J. ZAHAR
The following features where omitted, as they are irrelevant to the sim or can be configured in user properties:
- PROG MENU: K-Factor, brightness, GPS format
- SETUP Menu (unit, capacity, carb, alarm threshold, ...)
- Used fuel, Remaining fuel, Trip mode and Cycle-Time will persist between sessions
As an easy mode, there is a option to toggle "Auto-Fill-Mode" by setting the appropriate user property. In this case, it is not necessary to set the correct fuel amount by the programming mode or at startup but instead the correct fill level will be automatically set when the instrument loads or any time the amount of fuel in the plane is increased.

Changes V 1.02:
For mouse use, there's a hidden button on the upper display to simulate pressing both buttons at once.
Fixed a bug where used and/or remaining fuel would initialize with negative values when the instrument was started before the plane is loaded.
Fixed a bug that used fuel would not be reset when powering on if in non-trip-mode.

Changes V 1.03:
Major code restructuring using the MVC approach.
Added a user property Persistance ID so different instances of the instrument on different panels will store persistent data (fuel used, fuel remaining, PROG settings) independently.
Fixed a bug that the instrument wouldn't turn off when power was shut down.
Fixed a bug that the (extremly small) fuel flow reported by X-Plane when the engine is shut down would cause the flight time display to show random numbers.

Regards
Florian