Classic Boeings

Working on a instrument project or just finished a project? Show it to others!

Moderators: russ, Ralph

SimPassion

Re: Classic Boeings

#71 Post by SimPassion »

The only case when we can include original artists/authors work is when we obtain agreement from them after requesting
We have in this case, also to ensure the authors/artists that the resulting instruments will not be used in a paid work and then mention them in embedded file and/or infos

Gilles

RoundEngine

#72 Post by RoundEngine »

BW901, I have no case against your concerns and your experience certainly qualifies you. I was aware of not using the actual artwork (png files, etc.) and would not dream of doing that but had figured X-Plane screenshots were okay. I did my radios for my use but if I share it with the community what then? If I used a public picture, or actual picture from an aircraft, to create which is probably what the designers do aren't they basing their work on the same thing I would be and if it looks more or less the same as theirs would there be an issue since we both used public data? I guess worst case I can replace any art with black boxes.

Unfortunately, I do not know of any good graphic artists. I wish I did but I'll look around.

Interesting. You have what looks like a Sperry SP50 or one of it's versions and the FJS 727 has a fascimile of a SP-50G (https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Sperry-SP-50G-A ... UC&vxp=mtr ) but it's not exactly modeled probably due to sim limitations.

BW901

#73 Post by BW901 »

The purpose of an in-game screenshot is the key to whether it would fall into the category of fair use, and it looks very doubtful to me that developing an Air Manager instrument would meet that criteria. I don't know whether there's been a similar case to set precedent though. Developers, at least the serious ones, will use photos that have been taken specifically for their development purposes. Even photos on the internet are generally subject to copyright, so use (or at least distribution) of any derivative work would as Gilles said be subject to original photographer's permission - but if you've edited the **** out of it until it's unrecognisable how's anyone going to know?

I have many photos, but in the past I took them for the purposes of assessing or selling an aircraft, not from the perspective of trying to replicate instruments, so they're not going to be great for development work :roll: I (semi-)retired last year but maybe when this lockdown is over I might see if I can go mad with a camera on a powered-up Classic for a couple of hours. Never worked with 727s though, have only ever been SLF in the back.
Last edited by BW901 on Sun May 31, 2020 1:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

RoundEngine

#74 Post by RoundEngine »

It's definitely not cut and dried. I avoid copyrighted photos.

BW901

#75 Post by BW901 »

After the discussion on images I started to go through my garage and see just what I had buried in boxes, to see how easy it is to turn actual hardware into imagery with an Iphone camera and Photoshop (also because hopefully we'll be moving house in a few months after this lockdown's over). It's surprising how difficult it is to get lighting right, or angles lined up for multiple switch or switch guard positions, but the end results seem OK.
This is the 737-200 overhead Flight Controls panel updated. I rewrote some of the switch/guard logic and it works flawlessly now, it used to suffer from the odd glitch which resulted in a CTD for X-Plane.

Found a Fairchild CVR tucked away in a shoebox. Background for the CVR panel now done, just the gauge to add. I should take pictures of a selection of DZUS fasteners and substitute my Photoshop drawn versions.

Also been messing with engine instruments, a side-by-side comparison of old vs new N2 gauge for the 727 or 732. I think I'd kept images sizes too big, and reducing their physical size more in line with on-screen display size results in a much clearer image with no jaggies.

Steadily drawing closer to completing the 732, and the 727 MIP won't take much to finish once that's done. I think it's pretty much 2 years since I started, must make Air Manager the best value for money software I've ever bought! Got to figure out simulating 2 bulbs behind the annunciators so we get a better lit image, what's there now is too "clean" more like the modern LED versions.

RoundEngine

#76 Post by RoundEngine »

Nice. Keep it up. Will you be posting the instruments here or on the community?

BW901

#77 Post by BW901 »

Not sure what I'll do yet - still working away. Clock for the 727, 732 and 742 done, user preference to select between 12 or 24-hour clocks. Elapsed time switch is a dummy until I can figure out exactly how this works. Elapsed time hands are tied to the timer at the moment. Timer/running indicator is implemented, timer on the right is running, on left stopped.

BW901

#78 Post by BW901 »

Moving on to improving the primary flight instruments, and covering the 727, 737-200 and 747-200, ready for release of that one sometime in the future. Screenshot below of a test panel running three ADI versions with the FJS 737-200 flight model. Left instrument is modelling a Collins FD-108, right two are as fitted to the 742, with either V-bar or crosshair options, selectable within the instrument as user preferences. I need to improve the horizon cards on both, but I'm pretty happy with the results so far, I think I'm slowly getting to grips with Photoshop.

russ

#79 Post by russ »

I've been terrible at monitoring the forum and especially the PMs but I guess I inadvertently deleted the message i sent last november. Sorry. I think I was just commenting on the B737 Classic sice I had flown the B727-100, 727-200, 737-100, 737-200, ,737-300, 737-400. I am impressed by these panels and they make me feel a bit homesick. I think I was offering to help out in any way I could but it looks pretty complete now..

SimPassion wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:52 am I see on my notification list, a Russ's notification of a reply in this thread, however I don't see it here ???

Gilles

image.png
Russ Barlow
Air Manager Evangelist

RoundEngine

#80 Post by RoundEngine »

They are some fantastic work.