Classic Boeings

Working on a instrument project or just finished a project? Show it to others!

Moderators: russ, Ralph

BW901

Classic Boeings

#1 Post by BW901 »

I'm a fan of the old Boeings before the introduction of Magenta lines and I'm working on panels for the IXEG 733 and FJS 737-200v3 for X-Plane. Gauges for the 732 overhead are done, and I will start on annunciators next and then look at switches. The centre panel is almost complete as well, just the EPR gauges to finish, and I am well down the road with the Captain's panel. My graphics capability is a bit basic, but hopefully they look half decent (overhead gauges as shown below as they are so far), but if there's anyone who's a wizz with Photoshop and can help make them look as professional as most of the Air Manager instruments already available to download I'd love to hear from you :D

Cheers
Jon

Last edited by BW901 on Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ralph

Re: Classic Boeings

#2 Post by Ralph »

Very nice graphics. Quite a lot of work :) Good luck!

BW901

#3 Post by BW901 »

Thanks Ralph. Yeah long way to go and learning new programming along the way. It's very satisfying when you finally figure something out, but please put a health warning on Air Manager, once you start messing with gauge design it quickly becomes addictive!

Gauges for the Centre MIP for the 737-200 are also coming along nicely now.

Last edited by BW901 on Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BW901

#4 Post by BW901 »

Another big step. May not look like much but the dial and knob below the RadAlt now let me dial in a specific Magnetic Variation which the RMI, HSI, heading bugs etc all adjust to accordingly. That'll allow historic charts to be flown in X-Plane with the correct headings. I'm building navaid and airport/runway scenery for Europe from the early 1990s - back to the days of the Berlin Air Corridors, and I can now fly everything correctly instead of having to do mental arithmetic to correct for changes in variation and magnetic headings and bearings. Time to get those RMI needles tracking NDBs !

Sling

#5 Post by Sling »

Nice one Jon,

Glad to see you got to grips with that inter instrument code.

Tony

frumpy

#6 Post by frumpy »

A lot of time and effort, respect! Looks very pretty!

BW901

#7 Post by BW901 »

Thanks Frumpy and Tony.

Credit where credit's due though, the ADI is in the downloads by AVIATor-Olav (Tor) and it's an absolute jewel, he was on top form when designing that one. The HSI is based on Tor's coding, I am reworking things to better represent the 732 rather than his 727, and the code which makes the RMI needles spin is based on Siminnovations' generic RMI with DME. I'll go seek approval before releasing anything based on those 3 gauges.

I am working on various options to represent early or later modded cockpits - old style or digital altimeters, a pseudo TCAS/VSI versus traditional clockwork one, digital dual DME, etc. Hopefully will be ready to release some instruments soon if anyone's interested. Question though, would the preference be for instruments with bezel, screws etc, or without - or maybe I just leave them and in the comments note which lines of the lua script to remove?

Anyhow if Tor's ADI and HSI weren't already in existence I wouldn't have embarked on my own work, so Cheers! :D

Jon

Sling

#8 Post by Sling »

BW901 wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:52 am Question though, would the preference be for instruments with bezel, screws etc, or without - or maybe I just leave them and in the comments note which lines of the lua script to remove?
You can have all of those things as optional if you setup user properties in your code. That way the user doesn't need to touch the code but just select it in the settings pane. Let us know if you need any help with it.

Tony

frumpy

#9 Post by frumpy »

Jon, since you got the grips on using rotation drums, I wonder if you are having any plans
on the IXEG-style altimeter? I find the drum is not easy to make.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFxfy5wQsq0

I'd love to use some of your gauges later on.

BW901

#10 Post by BW901 »

Hi Frumpy. That looks a lot like this (with a little modification)

Thanks for the video link, that's great close up detail, much better than looking at a static photo. One point it shows is that there are only 3 drums for each baro window, I'll take a look at that and make some changes. There seem to be an almost infinite number of altimeter options :o

Cheers
Jon