Classic Boeings

Working on a instrument project or just finished a project? Show it to others!

Moderators: russ, Ralph

BW901

Re: Classic Boeings

#81 Post by BW901 »

russ wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:44 pm I think I was offering to help out in any way I could but it looks pretty complete now..
Russ,
Thanks for your comments, much appreciated. As someone who's total time on a 727 amounts to 20 minutes right seat on a -100 I'd really value the input of someone who really knows what they're talking about. I'm about to seek some beta testers, if you're able to assist and take a look at these panels that would be great.

Right now it's little details which are hard to find - like getting the horizon scale on the FD-108 right. Also obviously most folk don't see the Instrument Comparator as the "sexiest" instrument on the panel, so it's hard trying to find decent images to work of for them. I'm summoning up the courage to do that and the APD and then the 732 will be ready to start testing, followed closely by the 727 Captain's panel. In the meantime I keep busy with little rewrites/updates/improvements.
Cheers
Jon
Last edited by BW901 on Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BW901

#82 Post by BW901 »

I've started work on a set of Collins HSIs, though there seem to be more variations and presumably company options than you can shake a stick at. First up the 331A-3G as fitted to the 747-200 and (I believe) non-EFIS versions of the 737-300. There's about 6 hours of work on Photoshop to get this far, 16 image layers make up the instrument, which'll probably go up to 20 with all features added. I'll try and animate it tonight, may put invisible knobs for HDG and CRS selection at bottom left and right as user preference so you don't have to move up to the MCP. Also I think the right-hand digital display was used to display DME2, Ground Speed or CRS depending on airline preference, so I might make that a user selectable option in preferences. There are 2 other models I'll look at later to cover the 727 and 737-200.

SimPassion

#83 Post by SimPassion »

Very nice work, full of visual details and precision
Congrats with this highly immersive level of instruments set @BW901

Gilles

BW901

#84 Post by BW901 »

Thanks Gilles.

Inching forward with progress. 727 Captain's panel is populated, and appropriate Collins-style instruments are in work. I still have a to-do list that's 20 items long on that one panel, but it's getting to the point of being ready for testing.

I'll be looking for a couple of folks who have the FJS 727 and 737 and can help test these. They're built for running on a separate monitor, so that'll be a requirement or better still a network setup, so I can check that on someone else's system as well. Built for 2560 x 1440 full-screen. If anyone's interested please PM me.

Cheers
Jon

BW901

#85 Post by BW901 »

I think there's an end in sight !! Should be ready to start external testing in a few days. Here's how the 727 Captain's panel and 732 Captain and centre MIP panels now look, with more appropriate ADI and HSI. Basics are in place, what's left is making tweaks and adding little details.

BW901

#86 Post by BW901 »

The 737-200 (for FlyJSim's X-Plane 732 Twinjet version 3)is pretty close now to release of a full MIP and Overhead and the 727 (for FlyJSim's 727 v3) Captain and Centre MIP should follow closely behind.

After some discussion (many thanks to those concerned, you know who you are) I'm going to release them as payware through my website. That's got to be worked on, but for now I have a demo captain's panel with paired back functionality as a free trial version. It's currently available to download through a new forum I've set up at http://airlinerperformance.freeforums.net. My website just hit 150,000 views, but up to now it's had nothing to do with Air Manager and has been devoted to PFPX, a flight planning programme some of you may be familiar with. The site's getting a makeover, so it'll have a change in focus and at least for a while be seen predominantly by flight simmers who probably have no knowledge of Air Manager.

If anyone uses the FlyJSim 732 and wants to give the demo a try I'd certainly welcome any feedback, hopefully you'll like it enough to go for the full-fat version. I'm aiming to have a free demo for the 727 up within the week, time permitting.

AVIATor-Olav

#87 Post by AVIATor-Olav »

Fantastic work!

JackZ

#88 Post by JackZ »

BW901 wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:24 am The 737-200 (for FlyJSim's X-Plane 732 Twinjet version 3)is pretty close now to release of a full MIP and Overhead and the 727 (for FlyJSim's 727 v3) Captain and Centre MIP should follow closely behind.

After some discussion (many thanks to those concerned, you know who you are) I'm going to release them as payware through my website. That's got to be worked on, but for now I have a demo captain's panel with paired back functionality as a free trial version. It's currently available to download through a new forum I've set up at http://airlinerperformance.freeforums.net. My website just hit 150,000 views, but up to now it's had nothing to do with Air Manager and has been devoted to PFPX, a flight planning programme some of you may be familiar with. The site's getting a makeover, so it'll have a change in focus and at least for a while be seen predominantly by flight simmers who probably have no knowledge of Air Manager.

If anyone uses the FlyJSim 732 and wants to give the demo a try I'd certainly welcome any feedback, hopefully you'll like it enough to go for the full-fat version. I'm aiming to have a free demo for the 727 up within the week, time permitting.
Interresting and nice work!
I have just a question: How do you plan on protecting your hard work, since everything in a panel (except for the payware which are in the store) are open (code and resources) in AM community version?
Piracy risk (easy to copy and share an open panel and instruments) and reuse of somebody else's work is what prevents nice and complicated panels to be released in AM, I guess...

Jacques
My YouTube Chanel on the A320 (Real SOPs by an Airline Pilot IRL):
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 0Q6SBASRqJ

BW901

#89 Post by BW901 »

Jacques, To be honest the amount of folks who will be interested in using these panels anyway is very small, it's not as if someone's going to rip of my work and make a fortune out of it at my expense. I don't have any issue in any case with someone using code to help improve their own work, I've only got to the stage I'm at now by benefiting from other people's help and knowledge. I'll be relying on the goodwill of users. Naivety or just lack of paranoia? Who knows :lol:

On a more positive note the latest IXEG update contains many more datarefs. With only a little work I'm currently tootling around with a SWA-style clockwork cockpit for the 733. I have to say it''s a very smooth experience. Looks like they've introduced some quite significant switch handling options, so hopefully I can complete all the overhead functions. All I need now is a freighter. Happy days!

BW901

#90 Post by BW901 »

Nearly a year since my last post, how the world has changed in that year!

I've not done much with the FJS aircraft in that time, as I switched focus to the still-in-development Felis 747-200, which will be a wonderful aircraft for X-Plane, and is quite a step-foward for X-Plane lovers of classic jetliners. Working now on overhead and pedestal, with many sub-panels already done, but here's a composite image showing how the MIP and glareshield looks right now. I'll make the instruments freely available when Felis releases his aircraft.