Classic Boeings

Working on a instrument project or just finished a project? Show it to others!

Moderators: russ, Ralph

Serge Luke

Re: Classic Boeings

#61 Post by Serge Luke »

BW901, thank you for the explenation.

Very impressive work!

BW901

#62 Post by BW901 »

Thanks! I havn't publicly released instruments, but there are a few folks who have them for testing, so I'm happy to help out if there's anything in particular you need for the 727, aside of course from Tor's superb creations.

Quick screenshot of IXEG testing, XTextureExtractor and transparent panel cutouts working great, Lot of work left to do, and hopefully once we have the update and missing datarefs we can start to put the EADI into Air Managerand make things even tidier. Next step is to see how this networks and hope that everything runs smoothly. And looking at this I must set the standby ASI/altimeter so it at least shows standard pressure on start-up!! :oops: It's independent of the captain and FO sides.

Cheers
Jon

I just replaced the image, with an updated version of the WIP captain panel. Lower screen is the AM panel, upper is what's showing on my X-Plane monitor for outside view. Still a way to go, but it's now possible to operate an entire flight with this panel.
Last edited by BW901 on Tue May 19, 2020 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Serge Luke

#63 Post by Serge Luke »

BW901, thank you for the offer! I'd be happy to help by testing any instrument you want in FlyJSim 727 (since I don't have their 737-200). Though, now that I've seen your panel, I will purchase 737-200 next time it is on sale :)

Right now what we lack in 727 but I can see in your 737-200 panel are adequate VOR2/ADF, DME2 and Rudder/Aileron indicator. Perhaps TCAS VSI too. I think those are most likely to use the same datarefs. Hopefully no modifications are needed at all.

If someone was interested in 727 project, I would propose:

- adding dials and bugs to Tor's airspeed and HSI.
- Flight Director/Autopilot in 727, which is located in two places. It is very complicated to operate it switching views, and having it in Air Manager would be great.

RoundEngine

#64 Post by RoundEngine »

Nice work. I do have the FJS 737 but haven't flown it (got it on sale) as I'm concentrating on the 727 and learning to fly it.

I'm working on the B727 and created an avionics instrument for COM/NAV/ADF and a panel with them in it. I started the autopilot for the 727 but an running into some issues on datarefs.

BW901

#65 Post by BW901 »

I forgot I'd even made the 727 flight control position indicator. Have attached it below for you to test.
FJS727_Flight_Controls_Indicator.siff
(1.64 MiB) Downloaded 187 times
The TCAS VSI is just a visual dummy, it only works as a standard VSI.

I never did anything with the 727 autopilot, but I have got a working WIP version for the 732. You can see for example that heading and course displays need to be converted to rotary, the digital outputs were the quick way of testing the system. Attached is my lua script - this may help you with looking at the 727's autopilot, hopefully Jack's logic was the same for the 2 aircraft, so switch operation, etc will be similar.

logic.lua
(9.22 KiB) Downloaded 176 times
I am not sharing the actual 737 autopilot because 90% of the images are not my original work. They are screenshots out of X-Plane which I used as placeholders to get the script working - no point in wasting time on graphics if you can't actually get the instrument to work first!

Serge Luke

#66 Post by Serge Luke »

BW901 and RoundEngine,

thank you both for the instruments. Here is what my current B727 panel looks like at the moment - using your and community instruments that I found to work with FJS 727:
B727 Panel 2020-05-19_4-54-59.jpg

RoundEngine

#67 Post by RoundEngine »

BW901, thanks. I'll check it out as I'm trying to do the B727 autopilot but have run into some issues. Some good points you make. I had not thought of using rotaries for the displays - I just did a text display.
I just used X-Plane screenshots for the artwork in my instruments. After lots of searching and finding many different looking radios I went with what was in the plane.

Who is Jack? Is he a developer on the 727? I love the FJS stuff. I've only worked with the 727 although I got the 737 when it was on sale. FJS did fantastic work on it. My only complaint it they don't do more airplanes - just joking as I know the process is long and hard but when you get a company that does such good work you want more.

I'll download the script and instrument and take a look.

Thank you.

RoundEngine

#68 Post by RoundEngine »

Nice job, Serge.

RoundEngine

#69 Post by RoundEngine »

BW901, a clarification please. When you say you can't include the autopilot original artwork what do you mean? Is there other artwork than the X-Plane screenshots or are you referring to what FJS did and is in the aircraft folders? I know we definitely can't use their artwork and wouldn't dream of it.

BW901

#70 Post by BW901 »

My legal experience extends to corporate, contract and aviation law, not copyright. My understanding however is that inclusion in an Air Manager instrument of an image derived from an in-X-Plane screenshot would not be deemed fair-use and ownership of that image would still lie with the original creator. That's aside from any moral issues of just ripping off someone else's work!

As I Introduced new functionality the key issue for me was getting code which worked and to save wasting time for test purposes I used some images derived either from the original texture files or in-game screenshots. That breaks copyright but hey it's for my own use and the developer has my money for the original software. When the instrument works I replace the images and you'll see the look of my instruments become more uniform which helps with everything looking like it belongs.

So in a nutshell I am very careful that if I distribute a gauge it only includes images which are my work, and neither extracts from texture files nor screenshots are included. If anyone has a good case against my legal concerns I'd like to hear it, would make life much easier :lol:

For me the biggest issues are annunciators and 3D items like switch guards. I would like to find a graphic artist who could provide professional quality annunciators - ideally for free, but if it meant paying a reasonable fee so be it. Anyone know someone?