Electronics International Gauge Collection

Working on a instrument project or just finished a project? Show it to others!

Moderators: russ, Ralph

Sling

Electronics International Gauge Collection

#1 Post by Sling »

I finally got round to putting all my EI gauges in a panel and recording a video showcase. I also incorporated the dimming functionality I've also been playing with.

Tony

Ralph

Re: Electronics International Gauge Collection

#2 Post by Ralph »

Awesome set! I particularly like the night setting, very cool with that start-up check :D

JackZ

#3 Post by JackZ »

Pretty good work Tony!
I’m interested in implementing such a dimmer function for my own instruments and for my A320 OVH project (still a WIP).
Things have changed since v2.x in terms of lighting. Was using opacity masks but think your method is better
Would you share your techniques, and in that case elaborate a bit about it, including a code snippet if needed?

Thanks

Jacques
My YouTube Chanel on the A320 (Real SOPs by an Airline Pilot IRL):
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 0Q6SBASRqJ

Sling

#4 Post by Sling »

Thanks Guys.

Jacques,
Are your lighting needs for Xplane or FSX/P3D?

The reason I ask is the support for lighting in Xplane is so much better. FSX only supports the 3 fixed lighting modes and as such this would cause the panel to jump between levels. I suppose you could detect the step change and soften the transition using a timer.

In case you didn't know xplane provides a dataref float value that represents the current ambient light level. Its a bit like having a built in photocell. If you really want to get fancy you could possibly do what Xplane does in lua code for FSX/P3D but that might start getting complex to keep it in sync with the view outside. The other feature Xplane has is multiple dim control datarefs. Some of these are used in aircraft but many are spare.

My technique uses a black 1x1 pixel image set to display as fullscreen. I can then use opacity to control the amount of this image that is shown. I use the Xplane photocell and dimmer settings to determine the level.

For individual instruments the key is to get the black layer in the right z order for the other elements of your instrument. For example parts of the instrument that are affected by cabin lighting such as the bezel, switches, knobs etc need to be below the mask. Backlit displays etc need to be on top.

Tony

zaruthoj

#5 Post by zaruthoj »

Side question:
Could you point me towards the lighting mode variable for FSX? My searches have been rather un-helpful.

Also, I'm looking forward to trying out your fuel flow instrument. I'm about halfway through building my own, and would be happy to skip some work :)

Sling

#6 Post by Sling »

FSX and P3D are very limited on the lighting side. The Var used is TIME OF DAY. It returns either 1 day, 2 dusk/dawn, 3 night.

Xplane is much more capable.

Tony

rowi

#7 Post by rowi »

Although the post is somewhat older, I also face the problem of night flying with my brightly illuminated panel. So I (also) tried to put opacity in, but I can do this for an instrument, not for the whole background image. Further it looks you found a much more elegant way to dim everything, not just the background. Could you tell us?

SimPassion

#8 Post by SimPassion »

rowi wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:05 pm Although the post is somewhat older, I also face the problem of night flying with my brightly illuminated panel. So I (also) tried to put opacity in, but I can do this for an instrument, not for the whole background image. Further it looks you found a much more elegant way to dim everything, not just the background. Could you tell us?
add a whole size bitmap layer and made it varying using opacity

Gilles

Sling

#9 Post by Sling »

@rowi The method’s used are in this post.
Sling wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:20 am Thanks Guys.

Jacques,
Are your lighting needs for Xplane or FSX/P3D?

The reason I ask is the support for lighting in Xplane is so much better. FSX only supports the 3 fixed lighting modes and as such this would cause the panel to jump between levels. I suppose you could detect the step change and soften the transition using a timer.

In case you didn't know xplane provides a dataref float value that represents the current ambient light level. Its a bit like having a built in photocell. If you really want to get fancy you could possibly do what Xplane does in lua code for FSX/P3D but that might start getting complex to keep it in sync with the view outside. The other feature Xplane has is multiple dim control datarefs. Some of these are used in aircraft but many are spare.

My technique uses a black 1x1 pixel image set to display as fullscreen. I can then use opacity to control the amount of this image that is shown. I use the Xplane photocell and dimmer settings to determine the level.

For individual instruments the key is to get the black layer in the right z order for the other elements of your instrument. For example parts of the instrument that are affected by cabin lighting such as the bezel, switches, knobs etc need to be below the mask. Backlit displays etc need to be on top.

Tony

rowi

#10 Post by rowi »

Thanks both! So I stay with the opacity of a fullscreen image that I have top most, so it doesn't dim the instruments themselves. Thought there would be another, even nicer way.