AT-6G Texan Real to Sim Conversion

Are you building a cockpit, planning to build one or just dreaming, this is your cockpit builder meeting point

Moderators: russ, Ralph

warbirdguy1

AT-6G Texan Real to Sim Conversion

#1 Post by warbirdguy1 »

Hey all,

I obtained an AT-6G Texan a little ways back and are in progress to convert it into a functional flight simulator using Perpar3D as the base simulator environment.

This will be my first simulator fuselage I convert with the intent on using Air Manager as the primary tool to drive my hardware.

I have a fair bit of experience with MobiFlight on a communal A-4 Skyhawk and Cessna 152 I built with friends but feel with some learning Air Manager is a vastly more capable tool.

https://imgur.com/Fupd7g0

https://imgur.com/KHEl6I7
"I know just enough to break something"

Keith Baxter

Re: AT-6G Texan Real to Sim Conversion

#2 Post by Keith Baxter »

Hi,

Oh WOW. Thank you for sharing.
That is an amazing project. I sure hope you are not going to replace that panel with a flat screen. :twisted:

Many of us will be following the progress and look forward to the next update.

Keith
AMD RYZEN 9 5950X CPU, Corsair H80I cooler, ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS AMD Ryzen Mother Board,  32Gb ram Corsair Vengeance 3000Mh, MSI GTX960 4G graphics card 

jph

#3 Post by jph »

Keith Baxter wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 12:30 pm Hi,

Oh WOW. Thank you for sharing.
That is an amazing project. I sure hope you are not going to replace that panel with a flat screen. :twisted:

Many of us will be following the progress and look forward to the next update.

Keith
YE GADS ! - Keith - I misread and thought you said - " I hope you are going to replace that panel with a flat screen"
I nearly fell of my chair. :shock:
I was about to apply the curse of Beelzebub on you for sacrilege ....
Phew... :o ;)
NEVER EVER replace mechanical gauges you have with false prophets of the LCD... :!:

Mech' gauge are simply the best.
I - personally - Hate looking at garmin units and other 'modern' LCD type instrument displays as I could be flying in ANY generic aircraft. There is simply no 'personality' to the experience. (imho of course. ;) )
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

warbirdguy1

#4 Post by warbirdguy1 »

As tempting as LCD screens are I have decided it would be better to preserve the integrity of the simulator by using mechanical instruments everywhere I can.

Small updates nothing spectacular I have decided to go with the A2A Simulations T-6 addon.

I anticipate I will gain some traction on this project in the comings months once I finish helping my friend out with his 737-800.

As the T-6 project develops I will post my progress.

warbirdguy1

#5 Post by warbirdguy1 »

Good news my employment situation has greatly improved in regards to work/life balance so I expect my simulator projects will develop faster than before.

I was touring the south east US and was able to source numerous parts for the project. Parts include a seat, fixed canopy section, front windscreen, and an assortment of smaller parts.

I was not ready to spend $1500 on a real T-6 seat so I went with an Air Tractor seat that looked similiar.