Hardware API and SiMessagePort

Are you building a cockpit, planning to build one or just dreaming, this is your cockpit builder meeting point

Moderators: russ, Ralph

Detlef

Hardware API and SiMessagePort

#1 Post by Detlef »

Hi,

I have started to build some additional hardware with switches, display and other. I am kind of slow with that, being more in an experimental phase right now. I see in the AirManager Wiki that it is quite easy to flash an Arduino and talk to LEDs, rotory decoders and other. I also saw the message port mechanism (SiMessagePort Arduino lib) described there. My question is:
Is it possible to use the same Arduino with the SiMessagePort in addtion to the "standard" Hardware API? How would I do that?

The reason I ask is, I want to use a Waveshare ePaper Display. I want some part of my hardware panel to be very flexible. For example for a jetliner the buttons on the panel shall have different functions and labels than on say a helicopter. The ePaper will basically be loaded once per aircraft type and will show the labels of the buttons. That part of the panel will have 20 buttons (with LEDs). Two ePaper displays will show the labels.

I'd appreciate your thoughts.

Thank you
Regards
Detlef

Sling

Re: Hardware API and SiMessagePort

#2 Post by Sling »

Hi,

No you can’t have both on the same Arduino but you can plug in multiple Arduino’s which are cheap or you can interface all the standard API hardware via message port. This makes the code for standard hardware more complex but you can interface pretty much anything with message port.

Tony

Detlef

Re: Hardware API and SiMessagePort

#3 Post by Detlef »

Tony,

thank you for the fast reply. And yes, I thought so myself. I just wanted to make sure before I go ahead wiring and programming. (And before that: other mechanical work.)

Thanks,
Detlef