New PC

Are you building a cockpit, planning to build one or just dreaming, this is your cockpit builder meeting point

Moderators: russ, Ralph

mickbass

New PC

#1 Post by mickbass »

I am about to start to build some sort of flight simulator, and starting with a new computer. Can someone give me advice on processors. Is there any advantage on getting a 12 core processor over an 8 core, I will be using the new Microsoft flight sim 2020 with windows 10.

jph

Re: New PC

#2 Post by jph »

MSFS2020 is not a known factor at this time, even as of today. It relies too much on internet DL speeds etc, and of course, the processor and gpu. getting a 12 core processor etc is going to make no difference at all, the key is processor speed as the sim is virtually single threaded as - are all at this moment.
As an example. - if you take X-Plane with a 9700 or 9900k and run it at stock speeds (Presuming a reasonable gpu like the 2080ti) you will see a single core maxed.
If you got - say, - 5.2 ghz overclock (ON ALL CORES! - with or without HT) - with the 2080 ti, then the processor starts to become NOT the bottle neck in most situations and starts to use multicores.. however . there is no real difference in actual performance.

I can show you data for a 9900K (with 8 Core) at 5.2 ghz that starts to multicore with a 2080 ti... the 2080ti is maxed most of the time apart from when the 9900k starts to multicore as it saturates.
So, basically no. Clock speed and a modern processor are the way to go, within reason, more than 6 to 8 cores at 5 to 5.2 ghz is about it and then the processor is bottle necked. Dont be fooled by intels ludicrous claims of 5.3 in 10900 etc, you will never get that in a modern sim unless it will do that on a multi core frequency lock.

Modern processor - max speed (preferably on all cores overlooked) and a good gpu - at least a 2080ti, how the new 30 series react- we will have to see but it is certainly more processor bound and always will be.

there is also nothing on the horizon for processors that is going to make much difference in the nest 2 to 3 years..

you can of course always reduce the level of detail.... however, that makes jack difference to the number of cores..
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

jph

#3 Post by jph »

Also, on the point of overclocking.... for example, a 9600k is highly unlikely to clock more that 5GHZ all cores.. if you are lucky, a 9700k might get to 5.1 if you are lucky with the silicon lottery. whereas a 9900k with HT off is likely to get to 5.2 all 8 cores with relative ease (with adequate cooling of course.)

as to - is it all worth it ???? Hmmmm. ;) I am happy with 5.2 on 8 cores.. however, the difference is NOT night and day overstock, it is about 10%... 30FPS is 33.... so do you want to bother ? ... make you own mind up.
My processor is deliriously happy at 5.2Ghz, so no reason not to run it at that speed. but will it really help you ? unlikely, unless a 10-15% difference in frame rate is really going to make a difference to you ///

Again, to stress, I have no hands on experience with fs2020.. I can only say, that from trusted sources, you are going to be extremely limited.
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

Ralph

#4 Post by Ralph »

It's in Dutch, but whenever I'm looking for a game PC I have a look at the 'Best buy guide' from Tweakers.net. It's updated once every 2 months I think it is.
https://tweakers.net/reviews/8118/3/des ... aming.html
The Ryzen CPU's have been recommended for many months now and they still are. In this case they recommend the AMD Ryzen 5 3600.

For the GPU I would suggest to wait for the new Nvidia 3000 series. Or the 5700 XT from AMD, which is reasonably priced.

jph

#5 Post by jph »

Ralph wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 2:38 pm It's in Dutch, but whenever I'm looking for a game PC I have a look at the 'Best buy guide' from Tweakers.net. It's updated once every 2 months I think it is.
https://tweakers.net/reviews/8118/3/des ... aming.html
The Ryzen CPU's have been recommended for many months now and they still are. In this case they recommend the AMD Ryzen 5 3600.

For the GPU I would suggest to wait for the new Nvidia 3000 series. Or the 5700 XT from AMD, which is reasonably priced.
I would suggest to be careful to understand that that site is comparing low end processors on a cost basis (low end being relative lol) ..... for almost ANY game out there, intel will and does surpass AMD simply due to clock speed. AMD may be cheaper (sometimes) and offer more cores in some situations, but multi core 12 /16 and more make jack difference for games. - it may give you a slight boost in synthetic scores like R20 etc.
We all have out own personal choice websites and references. I would check out https://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/3 ... 3600-et-al for that amd 3600 - which I wouldn't personally buy.. but also for any comparison - for gaming - between Intel and AM.. and the 3000 series Nvidia are superbly priced with the entry level half the price of the 2080ti.

As for gpus, I think AMD is history with the 3000 series, as are most bank balances for those like me who bought the 2080ti lol :lol: :lol: :lol: the base / entry 3000 is looking to outperform the 2080ti at half the price (499 dollars) !!!!...

Check out both sites and make your mind up ..
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

Ralph

#6 Post by Ralph »

AMD just announced their new RX 6000 GPU's.

It's indeed based on cost. But if you're not considering cost, you can easily go over €1000 for a CPU. So it must be a factor. At some point the performance you gain is not in balance with the price anymore.

jph

#7 Post by jph »

Ralph wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 10:57 am AMD just announced their new RX 6000 GPU's.

It's indeed based on cost. But if you're not considering cost, you can easily go over €1000 for a CPU. So it must be a factor. At some point the performance you gain is not in balance with the price anymore.
Oh, indeed, but the 3000 series gpu is a complete game changer and amd have absolutely nothing in store to compete - even at a price per price. it looks like the ENTRY level 3000 will be much faster in all aspects than even the 2080ti. AMD are not their target as they have nothing to compete - the target price for the 2080ti beater entry level 3000 is 499 !..

their target is the console market.

as for 1000 for a cpu ??? i dont know where you get that figure from Ralph ? .. it is POSSIBLE to spend that on a cpu - but definitely not for playing games like X-Plane etc (and of course fs2020 which seem more cpu bound than ever)

A 9900K is about 425 / 430 euro ! - this will easily clock to 5.2 on 8 core.
Joe
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

Keith Baxter

#8 Post by Keith Baxter »

Hi,

You might want to try and purchase a decent setup in ZA.

https://www.evetech.co.za/PC-Components ... u-167.aspx

The Rand -> Euro is 19.8 ZAR to the EURO.
So that AMD 3990x is e4200. :o

Keith
AMD RYZEN 9 5950X CPU, Corsair H80I cooler, ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS AMD Ryzen Mother Board,  32Gb ram Corsair Vengeance 3000Mh, MSI GTX960 4G graphics card 

Ralph

#9 Post by Ralph »

jph wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:24 am as for 1000 for a cpu ??? i dont know where you get that figure from Ralph ? .. it is POSSIBLE to spend that on a cpu - but definitely not for playing games like X-Plane etc (and of course fs2020 which seem more cpu bound than ever)

A 9900K is about 425 / 430 euro ! - this will easily clock to 5.2 on 8 core.
Joe
Just to give an example: https://tweakers.net/pricewatch/540205/ ... boxed.html
I don't say it's one you should get for a gaming PC :) But that's exactly what I mean, price is not the only thing to consider.

jph

#10 Post by jph »

Keith Baxter wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:46 am Hi,

You might want to try and purchase a decent setup in ZA.

https://www.evetech.co.za/PC-Components ... u-167.aspx

The Rand -> Euro is 19.8 ZAR to the EURO.
So that AMD 3990x is e4200. :o

Keith
actually Keith, that's the same price over here (in Euro) for the AMD. (its no good for x-plane though haha :lol: )..
Dont know about SA but one of the best things about the EU (In regards to purchase) is that everything has a 2 year warranty. - whatever the manufacturers may normally quote. What is also really good is that anything you purchase from the internet can be, by law returned within 14 days of arrival with automatic refund providing it is not damaged and all the original packaging is complete and undamaged. It's great for testing a new processor or gpu to see if it is worth the upgrade for - say - x-plane. We have about 6 or 7 big outlets in Portugal for PC gear and they are usually cheaper than the UK if you shop about. (there are certain exceptions to the warranty / return rules such as digital downloads etc - but not many) The yanks get good prices on a lot of stuff but I am not sure about warranties and taxes etc. All the prices I quote are including IVA (VAT) etc. We had three electric kettles in 6 years :o they seemed to have a built in fail mode at about 23 months. The plastic shell would go brittle and crack. Take it back and they just give you a new one or equivalent one. It is interesting to look at warranties on some computer items as there are usually 3 world bands - america the EU and everywhere else - and it seems the yanks get a bad deal on most things. At least a lot of PC items have great warranties anyway - my Zotac 2080ti has 5 years for example. The return in 14 days is excellent and the best. :) a great way to test gear and do comparisons. :D
Joe.
Joe. CISSP, MSc.