Bell 206 Jetranger Project

Are you building a cockpit, planning to build one or just dreaming, this is your cockpit builder meeting point

Moderators: russ, Ralph

Shawn

Re: Bell 206 Jetranger Project

#21 Post by Shawn »

Well the dealer in Hong Kong contacted me and the driver board is in the mail. I got the bezel finished for the GNS finished and the buttons and screen installed. Hopefully will have a functioning unit in a few weeks

I've also added an additional sub panel that runs a couple more gauges I thought might be useful but didn't have room for in the main panel.

flyallthings

#22 Post by flyallthings »

Your pit looks amazing. Can I ask how you mounted the screen to the Main Instrument Panel? Got any pictures of it?

Shawn

#23 Post by Shawn »

Thank you, the screen was mounted with L shaped screw brackets that I 3D printed. I removed the plastic case from the monitor before mounting which allowed me to get the screen right up against the instrument bezels. Sorry I don't have any photos but if I remember I will take one and post it here.

Cheers
Shawn

AVIATor-Olav

#24 Post by AVIATor-Olav »

Great job! Your panel looks really good!

twinSim

#25 Post by twinSim »

Hi!
Great panel - I mean it! Your post was among those inspiaring me to look into 3d modelling and later printing. Currently I have had still no real success getting the gtn and a simple bezel finished - so still time before ordering the printer:)
For the GTN 650/750 I will try - as you did in the beginning - a 9 incher. It seems to be slightly thinner than needed, but that could be adapted in the model - once knowing how to do that.
Is there a chance for you sharing your GTN model with me to speed up things? Would be great!
Thanks and regards from Vienna
Alfred

Shawn

#26 Post by Shawn »

Hello Alfred, I sent you the STL files a few days ago, let me know if you didn't get them. I'm happy to share any of my work with anyone who might be interested. I mentioned it in the email I sent you but thought it might be of interest to people here as well. Fusion 360 CAD/CAM is free for hobbyist and startups (making less than a certain dollar figure a year?) My experience with CAD/CAM software is pretty limited but so far I couldn't be more pleased with Fusion, the CAD side is amazing and the CAM is twice as good : ) Top that all off with the price tag (free) and the fact that there are hundreds of really well done tutorials on Youtube that cover everything from the basics to advanced user features, Fusion 360 can't be beat.

Cheers
Shawn

shadyowl2

#27 Post by shadyowl2 »

Shawn,
What type of screen are you using for your gtn750? Is it a raspberry pi? I'm looking to do the same for my simpit. Any info you can give would be great.
OORAH!!!! Its a Marine Thing....USMC retired

Shawn

#28 Post by Shawn »

The screen is just one of the cheap 7" LCD screens from China, it is compatible with the Pi from what the listing said but I am just using it on my desktop. I got screwed on the screen though as the seller didn't include the drive board and having never been scammed before I ended up giving him too much time to make things right and he simply let the clock run out on my time to take it up with Ebay. I will be ordering another 7" screen shortly :D

Shawn

shadyowl2

#29 Post by shadyowl2 »

So something like this would work then? I've read that they work as a touchscreen and others say they do not with windows 7....

https://www.amazon.com/interface-Capaci ... pc&sr=1-41
OORAH!!!! Its a Marine Thing....USMC retired

Shawn

#30 Post by Shawn »

That looks exactly like the screens inhabe been using. I believe the touchscreen functions with a raspberry Pi but not on a normal computer. I haven't needed the touch screen function so I haven't even tried it. The touchscreen function works with a separate USB connection.

cheers
shawn