Bell 206 Jetranger Project

Are you building a cockpit, planning to build one or just dreaming, this is your cockpit builder meeting point

Moderators: russ, Ralph

Shawn

Bell 206 Jetranger Project

#1 Post by Shawn »

Sorry but these are mostly renders, when I get home i will take a few more shots of some finished parts.

All the bezels for my project were 3D printed, I'm amazed at the quality of my Printrbot, cheap but does a great job.

This is a test cut of the Garmin 750/650 GPS panel, I have ordered a 9" touchscreen and will cut the final version from plastic.

Sim Innovation instruments running behind the panel. The plastic panel was scrapped as it didn't provide enough support for the rotary encoders and I was getting some blemishes on the LCD screen when you pressed to hard. I have rebuilt the panel from 1/2" MDF and that seems to be much better.

I haven't started the pedals for the Jetranger yet but I am working on these, they will be for a generic twin engine fixed wing sim.

Cheers
Shawn

russ

Re: Bell 206 Jetranger Project

#2 Post by russ »

Shawn

The quality of these printed parts is AMAZING! Can you tell us more about what equipment is used and how the panel oberlay is made? What costs are involved? What software is used to create the model? Are there any places that can "print" objects for a fee?

Thanks
Russ Barlow
Air Manager Evangelist

Shawn

#3 Post by Shawn »

Thanks Russ, most of those pics were renders taken from within Fusion 360. I use Fusion 360 for all my CAD/CAM work and love it. The instrument panel was cut from 1/2" MDF on my CNC router, the bezels were printed on my Printrbot Simple metal.

This is the panel prior to paint, the printed bezel for the attitude indicator is in this shot as well. The bezel was lightly sanded after coming off the printer but that's it in this shot. I eventually coated the bezel with Durham Water Paste, sanded and painted to get a more finished look on the part.

Shapeways is the biggest online 3D print company that I can think of, they use a different and much better 3D print technology than I am using. Not sure what the cost would be but they will print your own design for you or you can order various things from their website. There is a network of people who will print 3D parts for you at a reasonable cost. There are also a few networks who provide links to get people who own 3D printers together with people who need parts printed. Basically you put your file online and people close by can offer to print it for you at a cost.

Cheers
Shawn

Shawn

#4 Post by Shawn »

After looking through some of the other build posts I couldn't help but have a go at designing a VEMD. Might just have to build a B3 next.

Cheers
Shawn

Amok

#5 Post by Amok »

Nice try, what was the model?

Shawn

#6 Post by Shawn »

The modelling software that I used is Fusion 360, I think that's what you were asking. I really like the idea of building an AS350B3, great aircraft and would be lots of fun to fly. Its too bad there wasn't a fully functioning one for FSX similar to the Dodo 206. I got the throttle for my collective cut to size last night, I don't know if anyone wants to see machining videos but I for one always find it interesting to see parts being made.

Shawn

Shawn

#7 Post by Shawn »

I got the bezel stripped on the monitor and attached to the panel. I really like the look of the siminnovation gauges :)

Shawn

#8 Post by Shawn »

Shawn

#9 Post by Shawn »

Few more parts getting close to completion.

Cheers
Shawn

Ralph

#10 Post by Ralph »

Wow! The 3D renders look good, but even the finished product looks amazing. Do you have a LED behind every text on the annunciator panel? Doesn't the light leak to other texts?