Avro Vulcan simulator

Are you building a cockpit, planning to build one or just dreaming, this is your cockpit builder meeting point

Moderators: russ, Ralph

larrylynx

Re: Avro Vulcan simulator

#11 Post by larrylynx »

Hi Everyone

We have uploaded a short video of the Vulcan, been very busy with it hence no uploads recently, next steps are to add lots of junk to fill up the cockpit and flight model tuning. Its very cramped and getting in and out are not for the faint hearted, we had to place pilots ejector seat on a set of rails to give people more room and to cater for us olduns. We hope to go live with it mid october, so I am presently learning the Mach loop, inflight re-fueling and formation flying, oh yeah, and old school navigation.

Thankfully the instruments are working perfectly. There are 2 quite old computers running a screen each and we don't experience any lag so a big thumbs up to the development team, you know who you are ;)

All the best and if anyone is going to Leystad this year look me up, i'll be with the Prosim team and most probably talking with Russ for a few hours like last year

Steve

russ

#12 Post by russ »

Nice work Steve....now you have time to plan a trip to Oshkosh next summer!

You guys did a excellent job. Neat to see Air Manager on such a cool project.

BTW...I put your video inline as you can see above. I think it is more inviting with the image compared to a hyperlink.. You just need to paste the youtube reference characters for the video's link , select them, and then click the youTube button above the post editing pane.
Russ Barlow
Air Manager Evangelist

stevem737

#13 Post by stevem737 »

Hi Larry,

I've been thinking of building a Vulcan cockpit in my basement, identically to yours. Could you answer some general questions:
1) Are the classic Vulcan instruments available for sale or download in SimInnovations' site?
2) I live here in the states, and I don't have access to a real Vulcan... do you have any construction drawings?
3) How many computers are you running, and how are they organized/networked?
4) Can you give any details on your visual system? It looks like a wrap-around system of some sort.
5) What cards are you using to interface the hardware switches (i.e., Arduino and Desktop Aviator cards, etc.)?
6) Did you build flight controls from scratch, or did you modify existing off-the-shelf controls?

Thanks for any info!

Ralph

#14 Post by Ralph »

I can answer the first question. They made the instruments themselves.

stevem737

#15 Post by stevem737 »

Thanks, Ralph. I'm wondering if the instruments they programmed can be purchased, or if they're available somewhere. I can program instruments, but to save time, I'd rather not reinvent the wheel. Thanks for any further information.

Ralph

#16 Post by Ralph »

It's probably quicker if you contact the museum, I don't think he visits the forums that often.