Twin Otter Cockpit

Are you building a cockpit, planning to build one or just dreaming, this is your cockpit builder meeting point

Moderators: russ, Ralph

MarkH

Re: Twin Otter Cockpit

#11 Post by MarkH »

Crazierchief wrote:im about to order some screens for gauges, im thinking of Dell P2016 19.5" 1440x900, is this an ok screen for use with the upcoming gauges?
Hey Frank, my screens are exactly those ones and I have found them to be a bit on the small side, both physically and in resolution. The physical size is the most significant, I think, as I have had to downsize the gauges a bit from life-sized to get them all to fit on. The resolution is only an issue with the distinctness of the smaller text on some of the gauges (e.g. the word 'MILLIBARS' on the Altimeter). The gauge markings themselves are generally clear enough.

If I was doing it again I would be tempted to go for 1080p monitors at maybe 22". That said, it is quite usable with the Dells. Just make sure you mount the portrait one with the bottom bezel facing inwards, as you get a better viewing angle from this direction.
MarkH

russ

#12 Post by russ »

And remember the gauges are all controllable via touch if you can spring for a touch monitor.

I prefer capacitive touch (like an iPad screen) but the IR versions will work fine too. I have both types,

https://www.amazon.com/Dell-23-Inch-Tou ... nitor+dell

there is a 21.5" model too
Russ Barlow
Air Manager Evangelist

Crazierchief

#13 Post by Crazierchief »

Hi, THX for the advice, i will buy 1 of these dell 19" and see what i think of the size. if its a little on the small side then i can use that on the copilot seat and go for 22-23" on capt and eng.
im not so found of touch screens, i like to feel the buttons as i switch on/off electronics so i have the complete goflight airliner setup but i want to expand this, i really like the way MarkH has setup his cockpit, its cool and in the same time i have the possibility to use several airplanes. so i really look forward to the release of this gauges, Russ i tried to PM you about trying out the gauges but havent heard anything. i guess i just have to wait.

frank arne
Norway

BigC208

#14 Post by BigC208 »

Are those Twin-Otter engine instruments available? Running FTS with older version of X-Plane 10 with Twottr panel but later versions of X-Plane 10 are incompatible with FTS.

Ralph

#15 Post by Ralph »

As far as I know it's only compatible with FSX or P3D.

BigC208

#16 Post by BigC208 »

I'm running P3D and X-Plane 9 thru 11. Did not see those instruments in the download section.

russ

#17 Post by russ »

I'd be happy to try to modify the twin otter instruments for X-Plane but the only Twin Otter I have is RW Designs version which isn't really detailed enough to support all the systems that the Aerosoft extended version has. Can you suggest an X-P Twin Otter that has most of the switches working?
Russ Barlow
Air Manager Evangelist

MarkH

#18 Post by MarkH »

Thought it was about time for an update. I have been adding side views to my cockpit, which is a non-trivial undertaking. I now have to start up three computers to run my sim and do all manner of tap-dancing before I'm ready to fly! Time will tell if it's worth it. (I have since figured out the problem with the ADI and flap indicator, which isn't a problem with either AM or Opus.)

MarkH

Ralph

#19 Post by Ralph »

Looks like you're flying with doors off :lol: But I think it's a real improvement, it gives a more immersive experience.

MarkH

#20 Post by MarkH »

Ralph wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:40 pm Looks like you're flying with doors off :lol: But I think it's a real improvement, it gives a more immersive experience.
Ha yes, I can make it have the doors if I use VC views on the sides. I have yet to try installing the Twin Otter on the server but I can use the C172 to get door and wing views that kind of work. I may try installing the Twin Otter. I could also try the older Twin Otter X, which might not take up so much resources.
MarkH