Twin Otter Cockpit

Are you building a cockpit, planning to build one or just dreaming, this is your cockpit builder meeting point

Moderators: russ, Ralph

MarkH

Twin Otter Cockpit

#1 Post by MarkH »

Some may know about my cockpit, which is a very loose approximation of a Twin Otter built around the Aerosoft Twin Otter Extended. For a while now Russ has been helping me make it better by adding gauges with Air Manager. We're almost there so I thought I would share this video of an early test flight with the new panel.

MarkH

JackZ

Re: Twin Otter Cockpit

#2 Post by JackZ »

Neat setup!
My YouTube Chanel on the A320 (Real SOPs by an Airline Pilot IRL):
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 0Q6SBASRqJ

Corjan

#3 Post by Corjan »

Hi,

Very nice work Mark :)

Something that might be of interest to you somewhere in the future, is that the upcoming raspberry pi version of Air Manager also has support for hardware I/O, like LED's, buttons, rotary encoders, etc. You can also drive the full HD monitor with all the instruments from the same raspberry Pi.

See this link for available API functions:
http://siminnovations.com/wiki/index.ph ... lopment.29

Demo:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEZkd7cYj6k

Not sure if you even want to go that route, or maybe you have another way of interfacing hardware with FSX. Just saying :)

Kind regards,

Corjan

MarkH

#4 Post by MarkH »

Corjan wrote: Not sure if you even want to go that route, or maybe you have another way of interfacing hardware with FSX. Just saying :)
Well it looks like a different direction but ultimately it may be a better option. I can't tell how it's all going to fit together from those little snippets but I would imagine you are taking all the logic (Lua code) off the server and onto a client machine. As long as we can read and write the FSX vars and Lvars remotely it will make things a lot simpler than now. No FSUIPC and no LINDA, for a start :)
MarkH

Corjan

#5 Post by Corjan »

Hi,

It is indeed a client raspberry pi which does basically all the work.

It can run a full instrument, just like the desktop version of Air Manager. In fact, the same instrument that runs on the desktop version can run on the raspberry pi (with one exception to the text objects). The raspberry is powerful enough to run a full HD monitor around 30 FPS.
The functions that drive the hardware are available in the same manner as all other API functions. So you can for example write to a LVAR when you press a button, or drive a LED from a LVAR. The possibilities are quite endless :)

Small code example:

Code: Select all

-- Bind to Raspberry Pi 2, Header P1, Pin 38, and drive the output low initially
hw_output_id = hw_output_add("RPI_V2_P1_38", false)

function callback(altitude)
    -- Drive the output high when altitude is higher then 1000
    hw_output_write(hw_output_id, altitude > 1000)
end

fsx_variable_subscribe("INDICATED ALTITUDE", "Feet", callback)

For the hardware functions to work, the instrument should run on the raspberry pi itself, it cannot run on the desktop. We have plans to also support the hardware API functions with external hardware like teensy and arduino's, but that will still take a while.

Kind regards,

Corjan

Crazierchief

#6 Post by Crazierchief »

Plz when can we ekspect to Get our hands on these Gauges.twin otter

JackZ

#7 Post by JackZ »

Hello to All

Christian the french cockpit builder, has published on the Aircockpit forum a few pics of his Twin Otter cockpit. Though the message is in french, I thought you could have a look at the photos.
http://www.aircockpit.com/viewtopic.php ... 429#p64429

Jacques
My YouTube Chanel on the A320 (Real SOPs by an Airline Pilot IRL):
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 0Q6SBASRqJ

russ

#8 Post by russ »

Christian a fait un grand projet

Google chrome offers to translate the forum page to English so I was able to get most of the comments there.
Russ Barlow
Air Manager Evangelist

arcc

#9 Post by arcc »

Christian a fait un grand projet
Merci, tous les développeurs y sont pour quelque chose.

Thank you also in developers(gauge, electronic, panel ...)

Christian

Crazierchief

#10 Post by Crazierchief »

im about to order some screens for gauges, im thinking of Dell P2016 19.5" 1440x900, is this an ok screen for use with the upcoming gauges?

frank