2019 Solo generic panel project

Are you building a cockpit, planning to build one or just dreaming, this is your cockpit builder meeting point

Moderators: russ, Ralph

Serge Luke

2019 Solo generic panel project

#1 Post by Serge Luke »

This is my plan for the cockpit project in 2019. After a long research on what hardware is available (and relatively affordable) I’ve created multiple iterations of panels based on Virtual Fly’s Solo Airliner, but using Air Manager, a 22” inch touch-screen monitor, knobster, Ipad mini, Saitek yoke, throttle and trim wheel, and other optional hardware components from Saitek, Desktop Aviator and possibly others.

The drawing is in Visio, with the gridlines representing dimensions of various components. The panel is 34” wide, 20” tall, but with the tilt it would be 16” above the desk level, allowing the “windshield” monitor(s) to start at 15” height above the desk.

The instrument layout is somewhat generic. The 22” inch touch-screen monitor at 1920x1080 should yield enough space to customizable panel, while Desktop Aviator hardware is based on Cessna yet universal enough to be used in other scenarios.

Any suggestions, recommendations?

The goal is to build this cockpit during 2019. Hopefully, this is the right venue to converse on development, challenges, recommendations and enhancements.

Regards,
Serge
Attachments
Panel 9 h16h18-3.5w34.png

Serge Luke

Re: 2019 Solo generic panel project

#2 Post by Serge Luke »

Phase 1 is 90% complete, with touch screen monitor running from the second computer via Air Player, Knobster, and Ipad Mini running the Duet monitor & Garmin GNS530 overlay via Air Manager on the primary PC.

IMG_7430 (1).jpg
IMG_7427 (1).jpg

JackZ

#3 Post by JackZ »

Nice work!

I can see that you are reusing the PA28 background I posted elsewhere, that means at least it has found a happy user :D
I found that you even used the center black hole of the panel (which’s was meant to be a dummy for the yoke tube) as a position for the Vacuum pressure indicator! The beauty of AM is that you can adapt whatever suits your needs.

My suggestion is to put the background overlay (if you have added it to your panel as an instrument) in front of the round gauges, so it hides the grey square bezel of the Cessna(?) AI.

This can be done easily on AM3.5 by right clicking on the selected instrument from the panel in the panel tab, then selecting « move forward/backward » accordingly to have the panel displayed in front of the Cessna AI.

If this instrument (the Attitude Indicator) is the only one that has a bezel, another solution is to go and try to get rid of the bezel from the graphic resource itself of the instrument by using the Skinman trick with Boolean operations. I published a tutorial on how to do this somewhere in the forum.

A quick question: what is displayed on the left monitor? Looks like a engine instrument?
Jacques
My YouTube Chanel on the A320 (Real SOPs by an Airline Pilot IRL):
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 0Q6SBASRqJ

Sling

#4 Post by Sling »

Nice one.

I have a similar project in planning but using 2 24" screens and some hardware switches/dials etc. I'll post some pictures when i finally get round to construction.

Those engine gauges if that is indeed what they are don't look like an AM creation. The EDM or something similar on another tablet would be a nice addition. The reason i'm opting for 2 screens is so I have the real estate to fit all this in without compromising much on scale.

Serge Luke

#5 Post by Serge Luke »

JackZ and Sling, thank you!

JackZ, the left monitor has CAM application that reads CPU loads, temp, clock and fan speeds. I use the monitor for ActiveSky and Air Manager (Garmin GNS 530 Overlay often disappears from Ipad/Duet emulation so I need to restart it).

Regarding PA28 background - thank you, flying has been a lot more pleasant since you posted the panel background. I have followed your instructions and made it an instrument (without preview), and have tinkered a lot with other instruments to position them behind/in front of the background overlay. Today I replaced C152 Tachometer with Russ Green's one made for PA-28 so that is another nice touch.

I'm using Piper PA-34 Seneca V Attitude Indicator and that one does not have controls to remove bazel. I will need to look up for the Skinman trick tutorial.

Once again - I appreciate you posting the Piper background panel, it looks great, and makes panel clean and closer to the real thing.

Serge Luke

#6 Post by Serge Luke »

Here are few more pictures of completed phase 1.

The whole setup, with left monitor used for supporting applications and additional iPad for charts.
IMG_7443.jpg
Because of the 1980x1080 touch screen monitor size, I have decided to angle the panel. The main screen/windshield is still a bit high, but it is realistic.
IMG_7444.jpg
The side has been masked with spare boards. Makes the whole thing cleaner.
IMG_7597.jpg
Top dashboard makes the panel look cleaner. I will add LED lights below it in future.
IMG_7599.jpg

Future plans:

Add second knobster, once v2 becomes available
Add recess LED lights
Add couple of Saitek panels (it would be nice to remove radio stack from AM panels to dedicated hardware)
Add components from CockpitPHD and other sites.

Sling - I'm looking forward to see your project!

JackZ

#7 Post by JackZ »

The "quick and dirty" method for removing the bezel of an existing instrument is explained here.
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=474

My advice is of course to create a Clone of the existing instrument and modify the Clone copy only, otherwise you might see your original instrument erased when updating AM for example.

Jacques

Sling

#8 Post by Sling »

I agree about having the radio stack off of the main screen and it’s one of the reasons i’m adding a second monitor. I don’t like the Saitek radio panels as they are much less realistic and flexible. Having the radios on a screen means I can pick and choose between different aircraft. For me at least i’d like it to be generic and flexible.

Serge Luke

#9 Post by Serge Luke »

Great points, Sling.

I'd rather use AM/AP with the touch-screen & knobster than the Saitek panels for com stack too.

JackZ

#10 Post by JackZ »

Agreed about the Saitek radios, which are bulky and way too long to fit into a realistic panel.

If you no longer have warranty issues, you can hack the Saitek radios by cutting and removing the left side near the « function « dial, and carefully transferring the Xfer button in between the two Led display where it should be.
Same can be done with the AP panel, this time by getting rid of the right part with the trim wheel and A/T (which can be placed elsewhere). That’s what I did and the end result is much more satisfactory.

You can see in the picture the AM Baron panel I was designing at the time, which was in its early stages.
92EE6E27-8E25-424E-A247-164A667354B1.jpeg
B5A18D11-F51E-4B34-A0F0-2EAB37D10EC6.jpeg
Anyways the use of a real hardware encoder is a real asset in terms of realism when compared to a tactile touch, and the Knobster’s concept is really interesting.

Jacques