Dell P2418HT Touch screen - New Cockpit Build

Are you building a cockpit, planning to build one or just dreaming, this is your cockpit builder meeting point

Moderators: russ, Ralph

Laverdure

Dell P2418HT Touch screen - New Cockpit Build

#1 Post by Laverdure »

Howdy!

I'm new to the forum and have recently discovered AM as a result of wanting to build a simulator. Before I invest money into the project though, I'd like to probe the community about it's take on touch screen requirements for seamlessly running AM. Before posting this, I did some reading on other questions and come across these two instances. If there are more, pardon me as I missed them.

In this thread, JackZ recommends the Iiyama Prolite 2452MTS and this thread den4 recommends the Acer AL1916W.

However, neither seem to be touch screens, and that's a requirement for my build.

Question: Are there recommended touch screen models that have proven to work best with AM? I have my eye on this one: Dell P2418HT

Thanks for your help!

Sling

Re: Dell P2418HT Touch screen - New Cockpit Build

#2 Post by Sling »

Welcome Laverdure,

I'll have that exact same monitor soon so if no one else can give any feedback on it before I have it then I'd be happy to post back to this topic with my impressions.

Tony

Keith Baxter

#3 Post by Keith Baxter »

Sling wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:36 pm Welcome Laverdure,

I'll have that exact same monitor soon so if no one else can give any feedback on it before I have it then I'd be happy to post back to this topic with my impressions.

Tony
Tony,

I would also be interested. Especially on how the touch screen works via a RPi. I have not seen anyone successful having a touchscreen work on a RPi.

Keith
AMD RYZEN 9 5950X CPU, Corsair H80I cooler, ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS AMD Ryzen Mother Board,  32Gb ram Corsair Vengeance 3000Mh, MSI GTX960 4G graphics card 

Laverdure

#4 Post by Laverdure »

Hey Sling,

That would be amazing. Thanks for your help!

JackZ

#5 Post by JackZ »

Laverdure wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:52 am Howdy!

I'm new to the forum and have recently discovered AM as a result of wanting to build a simulator. Before I invest money into the project though, I'd like to probe the community about it's take on touch screen requirements for seamlessly running AM. Before posting this, I did some reading on other questions and come across these two instances. If there are more, pardon me as I missed them.

In this thread, JackZ recommends the Iiyama Prolite 2452MTS and this thread den4 recommends the Acer AL1916W.

However, neither seem to be touch screens, and that's a requirement for my build.

Question: Are there recommended touch screen models that have proven to work best with AM? I have my eye on this one: Dell P2418HT

Thanks for your help!
FYI the Ilyama is not a resistive screen but rather a screen with an IR bezel that can nevertheless do multi touch. It works perfectly with AM. The price/quality ratio is very good in my view.

Jacques
My YouTube Chanel on the A320 (Real SOPs by an Airline Pilot IRL):
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 0Q6SBASRqJ

Sling

#6 Post by Sling »

Got the new touch monitor guys and it works nicely with Air Manager and windows 10. I just plugged it in and selected touch control from the Air Manager settings and it just works. I did not need to install any driver to get it to work. I have however installed the correct driver since but it doesn't appear to have made any difference to the operation.

So far I'm super impressed with this monitor and I like the slim bezel (5mm) and super adjustable stand. The monitor was supplied with power, DP, VGA and USB cables. Touch performance is good but I would recommend actual hardware for rotary controls as its a little fiddly while you are flying to operate some of these. These would apply no matter what touch screen you used. The Knobster would be a great addition to the touch cockpit in my opinion to overcome the rotary issue.

I hope this helps someone.

Tony

Keith Baxter

#7 Post by Keith Baxter »

Sling wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:07 am Got the new touch monitor guys and it works nicely with Air Manager and windows 10. I just plugged it in and selected touch control from the Air Manager settings and it just works. I did not need to install any driver to get it to work. I have however installed the correct driver since but it doesn't appear to have made any difference to the operation.

So far I'm super impressed with this monitor and I like the slim bezel (5mm) and super adjustable stand. The monitor was supplied with power, DP, VGA and USB cables. Touch performance is good but I would recommend actual hardware for rotary controls as its a little fiddly while you are flying to operate some of these. These would apply no matter what touch screen you used. The Knobster would be a great addition to the touch cockpit in my opinion to overcome the rotary issue.

Tony
Tony,

Did you test on a RPi?

Keith
AMD RYZEN 9 5950X CPU, Corsair H80I cooler, ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS AMD Ryzen Mother Board,  32Gb ram Corsair Vengeance 3000Mh, MSI GTX960 4G graphics card 

Sling

#8 Post by Sling »

Keith,

No not at this point but i will. I just can't promise it soon. I'll be sure to post back when i get round to it.

Tony

Keith Baxter

#9 Post by Keith Baxter »

Sling wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:52 am Keith,

No not at this point but i will. I just can't promise it soon. I'll be sure to post back when i get round to it.

Tony
Thank you Tony,

The main reason is that I want to know how you get the touch screen to work and how you load the touch screen driver to the AM RPi image.

Keith

Laverdure

#10 Post by Laverdure »

Sling wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:07 am Got the new touch monitor guys and it works nicely with Air Manager and windows 10. I just plugged it in and selected touch control from the Air Manager settings and it just works. I did not need to install any driver to get it to work. I have however installed the correct driver since but it doesn't appear to have made any difference to the operation.

Tony
Thanks a lot for the feedback. This is helpful.

Cheers!