Helicopter Chin Windows

Are you building a cockpit, planning to build one or just dreaming, this is your cockpit builder meeting point

Moderators: russ, Ralph

gopop

Helicopter Chin Windows

#1 Post by gopop »

Hi All (especially Russ!)

I'm a Private Helicopter (and fixed-wing) pilot.

I've dabbled in Flight Sims before but I'm basically a newbie. However, I run an IT business and so am tech-savvy.

I'd like to build a helicopter sim around X-Plane11 and the Puma Controls - and of course, Air Manager. I found my way to this forum thanks to the excellent Youtube videos from Russ, which are wonderfully informative. I'm learning a lot from them, Russ - thank you!

After watching Russ' videos, I'm currently thinking of using three HD panels, each with 60 deg FOV - and a touchscreen PC running AirManager for instruments (with knobster to follow!) However, I know from experience that peripheral perception of the ground is rather essential for hovering. I'm wondering if I should allow for a couple of monitors (and of course another graphics card) for "chin" windows. However, these would be near-horizontal in orientation. Does X-Plane allow for orienting monitors in this way? And does anyone more experienced than me have an comments on this?

Thanks for your time. :)

Bob
Bob Gilchrist
PPL (H&A) since 1982, Basic Instrument ticket, rated on Enstrom, R22 and R44 pistons and B206 and H369 turbine singles. And complex fixed-wing.

SimPassion

Re: Helicopter Chin Windows

#2 Post by SimPassion »

Hello Bob

here's my settings with 2 monitors, so you can see the allowed shifting
SettingsGraphics_00.jpg
SettingsGraphics_01.jpg
SettingsGraphics_02.jpg

gopop

#3 Post by gopop »

Hmm. Thanks Simpassion

It would appear that there is no provision for rotating the monitors in the direction required for chin window views. Unless I've misunderstood!

kind regards
Bob

Keith Baxter

#4 Post by Keith Baxter »

gopop wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 9:17 pm Hmm. Thanks Simpassion

It would appear that there is no provision for rotating the monitors in the direction required for chin window views. Unless I've misunderstood!

kind regards
Bob
Rotating of the screens can be done in the NVIDA control panel or windows Display settings. There you also set up the monitor number.

You will have to check and change the resolution in the XP monitor settings.

Keith
AMD RYZEN 9 5950X CPU, Corsair H80I cooler, ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS AMD Ryzen Mother Board,  32Gb ram Corsair Vengeance 3000Mh, MSI GTX960 4G graphics card 

SimPassion

#5 Post by SimPassion »

gopop wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 9:17 pm Hmm. Thanks Simpassion

kind regards
Bob
Yes the third screenshot allow to rotate the view on additional monitor up, down, right, left
I've personally made adjustment for overlay due to monitor bezel size

gopop

#6 Post by gopop »

Thanks guys

Yes, I get that bezel corrections and angular displacement can be made but chin windows would need to be horizontal - it would be like laying a monitor on the floor and looking down at it. Do you reckon these adjustments could accommodate that orientation? (Looking at that adjustment dialog, it isn't obvious to me that it could..)

Thanks for taking the time to respond!

Bob

SimPassion

#7 Post by SimPassion »

There's no reason it wouldn't work
try the shift settings

Regards
Gilles

Shawn

#8 Post by Shawn »

I built a helicopter sim using P3D that had a monitor for a chin bubble view. I would position the monitor to suit the best viewing angle regardless of where you actually put it. For the chin bubble view the monitor was in front of my pedals and at the correct angle to be directly facing me when I was looking down at it, probably around 55 degrees. If I can find a picture I will post it. Oh and it was way better than I expected for flying a helicopter sim, wouldn’t build another one without it.

Cheers
Shawn

SimPassion

#9 Post by SimPassion »

gopop wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 7:56 pm Thanks guys

Yes, I get that bezel corrections and angular displacement can be made but chin windows would need to be horizontal - it would be like laying a monitor on the floor and looking down at it. Do you reckon these adjustments could accommodate that orientation? (Looking at that adjustment dialog, it isn't obvious to me that it could..)

Thanks for taking the time to respond!

Bob
So, to be clear, we are using the "Vertical rotation offset" in the VISUAL OFFSET section : Wraparound (Rotation) Offsets of the targetted Monitor

Regards
Gilles

SimPassion

#10 Post by SimPassion »

Shawn wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:11 am I built a helicopter sim using P3D that had a monitor for a chin bubble view. I would position the monitor to suit the best viewing angle regardless of where you actually put it. For the chin bubble view the monitor was in front of my pedals and at the correct angle to be directly facing me when I was looking down at it, probably around 55 degrees. If I can find a picture I will post it. Oh and it was way better than I expected for flying a helicopter sim, wouldn’t build another one without it.

Cheers
Shawn
Hello Shawn

Just watch your video today by chance, bouncing from other videos
great example

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYjCCeGlz3w

Regards
Gilles