Three Screens + Air Manager

Are you building a cockpit, planning to build one or just dreaming, this is your cockpit builder meeting point

Moderators: russ, Ralph

Matt_Thomas

Three Screens + Air Manager

#1 Post by Matt_Thomas »

I'm working on a flight simulator project with three 32" HDTVs and a separate 19" monitor that is running Air Manager. This is what it looks like so far.
The three TVs are running off an old Nvidia GeForce GTX 650 with bezel correction. The frame rates were not good at 1080p though, so I had to set it at 768.
I tried to get the 4th monitor to run off a second video card, but I couldn't do it, so it's running off a laptop that networked to the PC. Air Manager connects with FSX via the network with no problems.

Unfortunately, the light gray paint on the frame reflects in the glass of the monitor: see the left screen in the picture. Next, I will paint the whole frame dark gray so I can get some better pictures and video.
Attachments
DIY Deluxe Desktop Flight Sim Prototype caption.jpg
Matt Thomas
Roger Dodger Aviation

shadyowl2

Re: Three Screens + Air Manager

#2 Post by shadyowl2 »

Are you using nvidia surround or a matrox tripple head? With nvidia there is a way you can use that second card but it's a real pain in the ??? I use 2 650 it's w 5 monitors, 3 primary and 2 for gauges
OORAH!!!! Its a Marine Thing....USMC retired

russ

#3 Post by russ »

Matt

Very cool looking setup. I have three 49" 4K monitors that I am running at 1080P in nvidia surround, I get frame rates about 40-50 fps running X-Plane on a i7 cpu and a gtx 770 gpu,.

I have heard FSX /P3D has lower demands than X-Plane but I think you still need more horsepower. You know you want your 1080p !

The gtx 960 might be a good choice, Triple your gpu performance *about equa to my gtx 770) for about $200

Here's the performance comparison
video cards.PNG
Keep the pictures and videos coming. I'm interested in your build. I built three monitor stands using 4" PVC schedule 40 pipe and attached them to plywood bases using inverted toilet flanges to attach the pipe. I got 3 big screen wall mounts at Harbor Freight on sale for $20 apiece and bolted them to plywood and then used U-Clamps to attach the plywood backing with the mounts to the pipe. So far so good but now I am using a table as the "cockpit". Pretty lame. I did put the Air Manager monitor ( 23" touchscreen) on a adjustable pipe mount so I can set the height of the instrument panel for each different aircraft type, I'd love to have a nice cockpit frame to use in my setup.
4K setup.jpg
Here's my setup in action:

Russ Barlow
Air Manager Evangelist

frumpy

#4 Post by frumpy »

I like that beer bottle :)

Matt_Thomas

#5 Post by Matt_Thomas »

shadyowl2 wrote:Are you using nvidia surround or a matrox tripple head? With nvidia there is a way you can use that second card but it's a real pain in the ??? I use 2 650 it's w 5 monitors, 3 primary and 2 for gauges
I am using Nvidia surround. I tried Matrox TripleHead2Go but I couldn't get it to work with my displays. I also tried installing a 2nd video card to run the instrument panel monitor, but I couldn't get that to work either so that monitor is run by a laptop that is not in the picture.

In summary: There are two computers in the pic. One computer running FSX and triple screens. The other computer is a laptop running Air Manager and is connected to the small monitor with the instruments. The two computers communicate over wireless network.
Matt Thomas
Roger Dodger Aviation