Landing gear lights - general outline of process

Are you building a cockpit, planning to build one or just dreaming, this is your cockpit builder meeting point

Moderators: russ, Ralph

Kaellis991

Landing gear lights - general outline of process

#1 Post by Kaellis991 »

The landing gear switch / knob for my Xplane cockpit is my first real attempt at building a switch in conjunction with lights.
Everything is to be coded to work with a 2560 and Xplane commands / datarefs.
I think I will eventually figure out the details of the coding and the creation of the hardware.

But to get this process started I am looking for some sort of advice for the broad strokes.
What’s the first place to start looking at? Then what might be the next steps after that?

I have seen many bits and pieces on multiple forums of gear switches and lights. I’ve gone through many of the Siminnovations tutorials by Tony.

But what I could really use is a clear big picture view of how this project might break down into a few main categories and a logical order to approach it.

I have the switch. It’s an NKK S-2AL which was easy to set up using the BBI-32, but incorporating lights I now think I need to move over to my Arduino 2560 and use Air Manager.

So where’s the best place to begin now that I’ve collected all the hardware (including LEDs and resistors) needed for this project?
A simple 1,2,3…..basic outline would be most helpful to get my head wrapped around this.

Ralph

Re: Landing gear lights - general outline of process

#2 Post by Ralph »

The easiest solution is to take the necessary hardware functions, define the pins, and you're done :) Now I think about it, I'm not sure if there's a gear handle hardware function. I suppose there is...

Ralph

#3 Post by Ralph »

I've just checked, both lights and handle are available. So it's just a matter of defining the pins. Unless you want to do it yourself of course :)

Kaellis991

#4 Post by Kaellis991 »

Found it and have the switch working.