Formula 1 .....

You can talk about anything flight (simulation) related here

Moderators: russ, Ralph

jph

Formula 1 .....

#1 Post by jph »

French GP..
'Diddums' hamilton

who only a week ago was attempting to compare himself to MLK or Ghandi if he was to give an inspirational speech and was then kicked in the nuts by RB. :D
Go Max. The orange army marches on.

The #magic# button cockup by hamilton at Baku wasn't 'his' fault according to Merc. Neither was his loss at PR. The team were quick to come grovelling to him in both cases - including James! and say it was 'their fault' not his ! - HE tried the falling back bluff to trigger a second pit. HE said after his tyres were ok till the end. (well, hinted that)
they are seriously worried that if they say anything else apart from lick his arse he would have thrown his toys out of the pram. I love that way that Rosberg twisted the knife in the post race interviews. ;)
In the post race interviews, Max always - deliberately - sits in his team full kit where sir sulk-alot tries to buck the trend and appear 'cool', in fact, when he isn't the focus of attention, he pulls out his phone and pretends to read a message or two, or pulls out a towel and starts mopping his brow and face, anything to try to attract attention . He tries to play mind games and they are backfiring.
I LOVE it. What a season this is setting up to be. The next two at the RedBull ring may be the season deciders.
Still undecided about Checo ... but, we can hope. At least he was up there.
Maybe when George is in the (Merc) team next year (or later this year!) then it may be different as he will cause an even bigger brain fek for hamilton. I wonder where Valtteri goes ? ... depending on results, maybe replace Checo ? - unlikely - but.
If there is any way around the contract, I would imagine RB would grab Lando with both hands, The guy is the best of the rest.

Of course, these are just my opinions, feel free to poo poo them :lol:
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

Sling

Re: Formula 1 .....

#2 Post by Sling »

Poo poo. You can’t be objective about something if you just want to ignore the facts.

Diddums as you seem to have latched on to was in reference to Red Bull being out witted by Mercedes on strategy. Nothing at all in reference to Verstappen or Hamilton. No agendas here I just like the racing. Red Bull have since returned the strategy favour with one over Mercedes of their own so diddums Mercedes on that particular weekend.

It’s of course perfectly acceptable for anyone to have an opinion on sport but what frustrates me is when the facts are ignored because of a personal dislike for someone. It just proves ignorance as far as I’m concerned. I’m not suggesting for one minute we all have to like everyone but we shouldn’t bring a personal dislike for someone into the merits of a sporting discussion. There have been plenty of successful sports people down the years who people have chosen to dislike and mostly because them or their team were the most successful at that time. It’s an unfortunate trait that people like an underdog because they want to see change.

Don’t ignore the facts. Lewis Hamilton is a 7 time world champion, has won more Grand Prix and had more pole positions than anyone else in history. To dismiss this and claim someone else who has a current record that does not even get close to this as better is just plain nonsense. If in the future the records are comparable then there will be a legitimate discussion to be had.

jph

#3 Post by jph »

It all depends on what you are comparing.
And, of course, I have to agree that it is absolutely your opinion as to what you believe or think - and you are fully entitled to it even if it may seem flawed to me.
I also love the sport but am totally fed up of false prophets getting titles they may or may not deserve as far as ability.. as for constructors ? - absolute FACT merc ARE 7 times world champions and absolutely deserve it 100% ! - but not necessarily hamilton !
You can argue that it is a 'fact' that hamilton won 7 titles, and as a FACT - I cannot disagree, however... that is in no way at all an indication of being the best driver on the grid. or even in F1 etc.. That is the difference.
The only 'real' reference of one car that is seemingly superior in it's ability is(are) the driver / drivers. As in one team mate to the other in that team.
Hamilton is a good driver, no doubt about it. I don't 'dislike' him. I DO believe he is totally overrated though. The thing about hamilton is he is good - at the front - and makes few mistakes unless he is actively racing against others. Then he starts to fall apart and the team need to treat him with kid gloves due to his very fragile ego. Valtteri is a damn good wingman, but not the 'second best' of the grid. Yet, in the same hardware, he can often make hamilton look poor.
Therein lies the issue....

If you were to put George or Lando, or even Saintz in the merc, they would outclass hamilton I believe -. The more he gets outclassed, even if it is from time to time, the more he starts to crumble. Danni Ric is a classic example of crumbling under pressure when at RB and has never recovered.
I 'hope' they move George to mercedes this year - I really do. however, merc 'may' decide to keep Valtteri simply because they would be shit scared of George out classing their hero. If that was the case, hamilton would do a danni ric.

We have one very small reference - that is George.. he got in the car at Sakhir, with a few days notice, it didnt fit, it was not set up in any way for him and yet he blew away his team mate and should have won the race twice over. Is it a 100% negative for hamilton ? of course not. But a sign of things to come.
Look at all the BS that Merc - especially hamilton - has been throwing around re the Honda PU.. 'they have done something to it' - 'it is much faster than ours' etc... only a few weeks ago.. yet, Lando, with the same merc customer PU blew them away for a very good period.. End of hamiltons excuse. One of many. He is rapidly running out of them.

It is not about 'facts' that are not real or cannot be quantified in their context of use (apart from what they SAY ! - and they are simply FACTS as to what they say ...)

MERC have won the constructors championship 7 times - now THAT IS 100% FACT, it just happened that a good driver who makes few mistakes was in their team. MERCEDES are 100% well deserved 7 times F1 constructors champions. With or without hamilton as there are others that could take his place. Valtteri would probably have been the world champion if hamilton wasn't there. Hence, you cannot say that hamilton is the best driver and won 7 world championships on merit. Mercedes as a constructor could not reasonably be replaced in those years, yet, the driver certainly could. (within limits of course ! - hamilton is good - but.. he is only really 'good' compared to his teammate as a reference compared to the grid.

Silverstone will be superb, especially with the sprint. :D
Looking forward to it.
You may well admit is is going to be an excellent year.. and the silly season will be amazing. ...
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

Sling

#4 Post by Sling »

Well we agree on one thing, the car makes a big difference. This year RB have the best car so they are winning. But the driver can absolutely make a difference. We can see that when the cars get close on performance. I think the very best drivers can extract that little bit more from the car. Take the most recent season when Ferrari had the fastest car. Hamilton still won the championship. A couple of examples of when the car difference is too great that spring to mind are Button in the Brawn and Vettel in the RB. Those cars were just way faster than the field. The technology interests me but F1 frustrates so often. I hate the fact there is a performance gap, crappy no overtaking tracks, policy that forces non flat out racing etc. I think slowly Ross Brawn and his team are trying to make the racing better so lets hope that remains the focus. After all i just want to see great racing. It's one of the reasons why i also watch F2 and back in the day the Touring Cars.

As for Hamilton. I agree there is an ego at play but i think that would apply to all the drivers at various times. Lets face it its easy to keep cool and say nothing when things are going well. I don't like and never will like the mixing of sport and politics or entertainment and politics for that matter. This is where i think Hamilton loses favour. He uses his position as a means for speaking about things that have nothing to do with the basics of his sport. He's not the only one who does this and i don't like it when others do it also. In fact it makes me switch off. This is kind of my point about the forum. Its primarily for AM and flight sim support discussion. We all have opinions about other things and there are plenty of places to go to have those discussions if one is so inclined. When i come here I expect the subject matter to be what it says on the tin but granted there is this catch all discuss anything area that folks can use if so inclined. I think i'll stick to the main topics at hand.

Roll on Silverstone.

Corjan

#5 Post by Corjan »

Sling wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 9:33 am Don’t ignore the facts. Lewis Hamilton is a 7 time world champion, has won more Grand Prix and had more pole positions than anyone else in history. To dismiss this and claim someone else who has a current record that does not even get close to this as better is just plain nonsense. If in the future the records are comparable then there will be a legitimate discussion to be had.
Just want to remind you here that this forums are maintained by dutchies! ;) Better be carefull :D

Sling

#6 Post by Sling »

I love RVB and MVG, 2 of my favourite ever darts players. Does that help. :D

jph

#7 Post by jph »

Sling wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 11:15 am Take the most recent season when Ferrari had the fastest car. Hamilton still won the championship.

Roll on Silverstone.
Hi, the 'Ferrari fiasco' in 2019 was a bit of a misnomer. Firstly, they were only the 'fastest' as far as having the most powerful PU - by a long way (estimated at >50HP by the tech gurus). The car was dominant on the 3 fastest tracks due to mainly straight line high speed being a major factor and some quali due to mode options.
Then, when called out for 'cheating' - some may call it other things - but... ;) - when the tech directive regarding fuel sensor reading bypass during pulses was initiated (after 10 teams submitted reports as to a theoretically impossible power output within the rules), the miraculously, prior to the US GP they lost all the massive advantage as they had to remove the cheat device. So realy, they only had the 'fastest' car in a straight line, until they were caught. Not the fastest car overall. It went pear shaped from there. A similar thing in 2018 due to KR batter delivery 'circumvention' when the FIA mandated a second sensor their power miraculously dropped. As Max famously said - 'the clipping of Ferrari's wings was “not strange” and was expected “when you stop cheating.”'

As to 'roll on Silverstone' - couldn't agree more. Really looking forward to the sprint format as I don't know what to expect at such a level.
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

jph

#8 Post by jph »

Corjan wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 12:59 pm Just want to remind you here that this forums are maintained by dutchies! ;) Better be carefull :D
Just for you ........... :mrgreen: - the beginning of the orange army from early 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43HCYSX ... itstopBoys

And, while RB are the relaxed Party team, here is a short clip of Toto 'pep' talking his 'not so happy looking' staff. They cannot even smile.
Sheesh...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OgJ2OY ... SethTurner

What a bloody miserable looking lot. Last Austrian I heard make a speech like that was prior to the Polish GP in 1939............... ;)
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

jph

#9 Post by jph »

Ok, this isn't F1, but.... people sometimes talk about how dangerous F1 is. Well, I say it is all completely relative and indeed, F1 is on the upper scale of safe.
Some outside the UK may not know of the TT races. The Isle of Man (Manx) TT - Tourist Trophy races. - held every year.
Most famous for Motorbikes.
If you want to see absolutely THE BEST world class drivers (riders) who can be literally less than a second away from death for 99% of the course, doing nearly 200 MPH around public closed streets with absolutely no run off areas - Just walls, houses farmers fences, trees etc ... then this is simply amazing. These guys are totally on a different planet. Deaths there each year are unfortunate, but accepted as part of the reality.
And NO, the video isn't sped up !.
Mind blowing. He could literally kill himself at any moment. again, this isn't a 'track', it is public roads. 37 miles ! per 'lap' some drivers struggle to remember 10 or 12 turns in F1.... :shock:
Another level. mind blowing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFJSVts ... anTT-iomtt
Joe
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

jph

#10 Post by jph »

VERY well presented and a dedication to the total hypocrisy and attention seeking of idiots like this and why F1 should NEVER allow it.

AND, it was posted BEFORE Silverstone. So So true.
He didn't even mention 'lie gate' in 2009 ...
the comments are excellent. Look at the view and comments ! - the YT algorithm working well for once.
Keep this crap out of motorsport.
;)
Joe. CISSP, MSc.