X-plane add on advice

You can talk about anything flight (simulation) related here

Moderators: russ, Ralph

shadyowl2

X-plane add on advice

#1 Post by shadyowl2 »

Hello All,
I've downloaded the demo and test ran it on my system and it run's perfect so I am thinking of adding x-plane to my list of simulators and I am looking for advice for add on's. What would be some must have's recommendations be from everyone.

1. Weather Engine near active sky next.
2. Add on GA Prop's single or twin near A2A quality.
3. GA Jet's
4. Scenery upgrades if needed like Rex4 Texture direct.
I know there are a few guys here who run it and I value your opinions
Thanks Guys
Shadyowl2
OORAH!!!! Its a Marine Thing....USMC retired

russ

Re: X-plane add on advice

#2 Post by russ »

Shady

The beauty of X-Plane is that you can pretty much run it as it is and get a pretty good result. Historically it has been a community freeware centered sim with not a lot payware addons required. That may be changing however.

The best web board to download freeware scenery and planes is x-plane.org.

It is relatively easy to create your own airport scenery using the free World Editor (WED) and if you do you can upload your creations using the scenery Gateway where they are checked by Laminar and made part of a future routine upgrade to everyone.

There are many payware airplanes by many of the same developers as for FSX/P3D. X-Plane.org also has a store to sell those. The included airplanes are pretty good to start with.

The best XP11 weather addon seems to be X-Enviro but I do not have it yet as it is pricey at about $70. Save it for your Christmas list as you can get by without it for a while.

I like the YouTube channel by Q8Pilot as he has lots of good info on addons and graphics settings.

The best thing I can say about XP11 is that it handles very realistically and especially in the landing phase. Recent interface changes make it much easier to use when first starting.

If you make the switch let me know and I can help you find the Dataref Tool which lets you explore datarefs for making your X-Plane compatible AM panels. Feel free to PM with specific questions.
Russ Barlow
Air Manager Evangelist

shadyowl2

#3 Post by shadyowl2 »

Russ,
Thank you for the info, I appreciate it.
OORAH!!!! Its a Marine Thing....USMC retired

baumeisterinn

#4 Post by baumeisterinn »

Have a look into the reality expansion packs (REP) by simcoders for an a2a accu sim like experience for some carenado planes.
The Airfoillabs C172SP has a good reputation, but i haven't tried it for myself.

For better (and free) meshes have a look at http://www.alpilotx.net/

Regarding scenery and in case you are into photoscenery - there is the tool ortho4xp and many videos on youtube explain it.

The norway pro scenery is great: http://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/fi ... r-scenery/
Same is true for the Great Britain Scenery: http://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/fi ... t-britain/

Both are - free!

Ralph

#5 Post by Ralph »

Maybe posted already.