Excellent post oldairmail !!! 8-)

optimatech

Re: Building your own GPS with an Arduino controller

#12 Post by optimatech »

Facing problem while initiating.

optimatech

#13 Post by optimatech »

The NEO6MV2 uses 3.3V logic level, whereas the Arduino uses 5V logic level.

The Arduino can read the 3.3V output signal from the GPS module just fine. However, the GPS module needs a level shifter to bring down the 5V logic from Arduino down to the 3.3V logic that it needs.

russ

#14 Post by russ »

There is a kit available by Chuck Kendall( Air Manager User) to build a 100% scale G530 from simwarekits.com. It has custom printed circuit boards and has all the parts except the 3D printed plastic parts, a Arduino Mega and the LCD screen. I have written a Air Manager instrument that runs it perfectly. I even added custom user properties so you can set the Arduino channel assigned in the setup, and whether it is GPS 1 or GPS2 without modifying the Lua scripts. If anyone is interested I will post it here or get it into the community store.
SWK530.jpg
SWK530.jpg (38.21 KiB) Viewed 4320 times
Russ Barlow
Air Manager Evangelist

PapaLima

#15 Post by PapaLima »

russ wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 6:41 pm There is a kit available by Chuck Kendall( Air Manager User) to build a 100% scale G530 from simwarekits.com. It has custom printed circuit boards and has all the parts except the 3D printed plastic parts, a Arduino Mega and the LCD screen. I have written a Air Manager instrument that runs it perfectly. I even added custom user properties so you can set the Arduino channel assigned in the setup, and whether it is GPS 1 or GPS2 without modifying the Lua scripts. If anyone is interested I will post it here or get it into the community store.
SWK530.jpg
Hi Russ,

Yes i know and already ordered one kit yearly this year but did not get the time to build it.
It is great to know that you have an AM manager which runs over this kit because the former solution based on ArdsimX was not a good one for me as I use P3D.
Thus yes, I am interested ! 8-)

SimPassion

#16 Post by SimPassion »

Also interested Russ, i've also watched your related YT demos, like incorporate into an Air Manager Bezel or instrument poitionning
i've planned to use such GPS instrument in AM, when i find time for flight simming

Gilles

monkeysuncle

#17 Post by monkeysuncle »

HI, I have a question related to this thread. I have a device similar to the above. I'm trying to program the buttons through FSUIPC is FSX. There are two buttons I cannot find the FSUIPC offset/event ID: The Power On/Off toggle, and the "Push CV" (swapping radio tuning). I've tried using the FSUIPC console to capture the event, but I get nothing when I press them (all of the other buttons give feedback in the console.) If anyone can help me with this, I'd really appreciate it. I did find a GPS power toggle event listed in the the FSUIPC interface, but this did toggle to power on the GNS530 that I am using in FSX ( am using the 430/530 package from SimFlyer)

Thanks, Dave

PapaLima

#18 Post by PapaLima »

monkeysuncle wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:41 pm HI, I have a question related to this thread. I have a device similar to the above. I'm trying to program the buttons through FSUIPC is FSX. There are two buttons I cannot find the FSUIPC offset/event ID: The Power On/Off toggle, and the "Push CV" (swapping radio tuning). I've tried using the FSUIPC console to capture the event, but I get nothing when I press them (all of the other buttons give feedback in the console.) If anyone can help me with this, I'd really appreciate it. I did find a GPS power toggle event listed in the the FSUIPC interface, but this did toggle to power on the GNS530 that I am using in FSX ( am using the 430/530 package from SimFlyer)

Thanks, Dave
Hi Dave,

I will have done the same approach you did : reading the FSUIPC console... Did you tried to contact SimFlyer for that ?

Bye

monkeysuncle

#19 Post by monkeysuncle »

I did try to reach them a few days ago, have not heard back yet. Would I avoid this trouble if I were to use and different add-on, say the one from Flight1 or RealityXP?

PapaLima

#20 Post by PapaLima »

monkeysuncle wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:49 pm I did try to reach them a few days ago, have not heard back yet. Would I avoid this trouble if I were to use and different add-on, say the one from Flight1 or RealityXP?
I have no experience on it. Just bought the GPS kit and it is still waiting after me to build it...
But as a P3D user I am forecasting to use the GNS530 from RealityXP to display the GPS on an external 5" LCD and driven from AirManager using an Arduino MEGA ST for the buttons.
You have the user's manuals availables on their side. You can check for the power button support (it seems supported as far as i see) and even contact their Sales support for a confirmation ;)