Amazing red on black LCD display - 2 line by 20 characters. High contrast.

You can talk about anything flight (simulation) related here

Moderators: russ, Ralph

jph

Amazing red on black LCD display - 2 line by 20 characters. High contrast.

#1 Post by jph »

Just ordered a couple of these for testing -

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3266378 ... 4c4dwRmuGB

really nice looking high contrast red display on black background units.. should be amazing for radio display etc - also, of course, nav, transponder, AP etc.
Not quite OLED, but the high contrast should make a superb display. This is the first I have seen of these that are easily available. There seems to be only this one supplier with the units, but at the price they are well worth exploring ! you can do most things needed with this little beauty.

the size is perfect for radio stacks etc, also it should be direct support in AM as it uses the standard 44780

image.png
Joe
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

Mike Horsten

Re: Amazing red on black LCD display - 2 line by 20 characters. High contrast.

#2 Post by Mike Horsten »

~Also ordered 2 units to look at the com's or even other things. Looks nice.

Mike
Building a home Cessna 172SP Steam. X-plane/MFS2020
(ex Name on Airmanager forum Polarair)

jph

Re: Amazing red on black LCD display - 2 line by 20 characters. High contrast.

#3 Post by jph »

Hi Mike,
For easy installation you can use - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3291898 ... 4c4dVO2CJh

The second or third units will be fine. I have a few of these on order. They contain the contrast pot and I2C converter, or you can get the plain parallel edge connector pcb. I just ordered the 3 one along with the 8X2 to 16 converter pcb and the included I2C module. With that you can chose either I2C or standard parallel 15 pin connector. For working directly with arduino I would always use I2C.

Note ! - it would appear that AM only supports the parallel connection ! - hence the plain add on PCB would work (the last and cheapest option) - or, simply to wire to the 2 x 8 pins instead which contain the same pin routing. - this would work fine with AM .
However, imho, I think in this day and age AM would support I2C as those I2C converter boards have been available for a VERY long time - at least 10 years - and I have been using them for that time. However, I presume there is probably a reason - possibly I2C function code space / addressing etc.
The small cheap converter boards also contain backlight on off control and contrast so no need for addition contrast pots etc.
Joe
Joe. CISSP, MSc.