Two SSD drives question

You can talk about anything flight (simulation) related here

Moderators: russ, Ralph

Keith Baxter

Two SSD drives question

#1 Post by Keith Baxter »

Hi,

My sata hard drive is giving me issues. I have a 256mb sata ssd as a C:/.

My MSI Z170a M5 has two PCI-e that are NVMe capable.

I want to replace thr 256 sata ssd and the drive that AM and xPlane are on.

I have one 1TB 3500/2900 NVMe and one 1TB 2095/1965 NVMe

The question is which one do I make C:/ and which one do I install AM and XPlane on.

Keith
AMD RYZEN 9 5950X CPU, Corsair H80I cooler, ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS AMD Ryzen Mother Board,  32Gb ram Corsair Vengeance 3000Mh, MSI GTX960 4G graphics card 

jph

Re: Two SSD drives question

#2 Post by jph »

@Keith Baxter Hello Keith and good morning. basically it doesn't matter so don't worry about it.
The figures for performance for NVME are - at the best - misleading in real life. Same as 1 SATA SSD compared to another. Great on paper, not noticeable in real world use.
Data transfer is also influenced by the processor, ram, mobo, data size, data contiguous patterns, bus utilisation, etc etc etc.

Just simply stick them in the socket (either way)s and go for it. Use either one you like for the system drive and the other for the data / program drive.
Even the difference of NVME v SATA SSD is mostly not noticeable at all. Only is specific circumstances which you seldom see in the real world.
I just added 2 SSD drives to my system, I have 2 NVME slots on the Aourus Elite Z390 mobo. comparing NVME to Sata IN REAL WORLD use there is absolutely no discernible difference.

SSD, (any ssd) for the system drive, offer quite amazing and noticeable performance (especially startup etc) over mechanical drives.. it was a 'wow' factor.
But anywhere else ? not really. most good quality MECH sata drives are rather good these days for NON SYSTEM drives. I actually use a combination of a 512 old crucial SSD for the OS Drive (C:). a 1TB SSD - Again - Crucial - MX, for XP and ORBX, and several 2TB sata 3 mech drives for everything else.
I can move XP and orbx to the mech drives and can genuinely say there is absolutely NO difference in real world performance at all.
However, I do notice a reasonable difference in backup speeds when using EASEUS Todo backup. But nothing to write home about.
The rest of the system is fairly balling with a 9900k at 5Ghz all cores, the previously mention Z390 Aourus Mobo, 32MB 3600 Cas 16 Ram - 2080ti overclocked 200 / 600.
I spared no expense on the system when I bought it. Each part is specifically selected to complement each other, INCLUDING the SSD / Mech drives.
In the EU, if you but from the internet, you have 14 days to return 99/0% of items - no questions asked - for a full refund - hence, I have tested so many combinations. If ANY specific drive or type offered a real benefit I would buy it as the money isnt really an issue - however, I am not going to waste it ;) . IF there was an item out there that would give me a noticeable performance increase above what I have, then I would buy it. There isnt, hence I dont lol :)

Chuck them in my friend, load your stuff and away you go. It will be great.
Hope that helps ?
Joe
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

jplewis02

#3 Post by jplewis02 »

Keith Baxter wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:09 am The question is which one do I make C:/ and which one do I install AM and XPlane on.
Looking at the disk specs Keith, it is not going to make much difference. NVME performance for the drives you list is unlikely to cause you much cost in disk read write queueing in either config. For best long term operation just make sure you keep your O/S drive as clean as possible and plenty of free space. AM is going to want to install into your C:\Program Files dir by default and it does not take up so much space that it should be any concern. Personally I saw barely any appreciable difference in SIM load times between a 2TB 2.5 inch SSD SATA3 6Gps drive and and a 2TB NVME Drive on a PCI-E 3.0 Motherboard. Hope this helps, ;-)

Keith Baxter

#4 Post by Keith Baxter »

Hi,

Thanks for the input guys. Appreciated.

Keith
AMD RYZEN 9 5950X CPU, Corsair H80I cooler, ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS AMD Ryzen Mother Board,  32Gb ram Corsair Vengeance 3000Mh, MSI GTX960 4G graphics card