G1000 bezel FS2020

You can talk about anything flight (simulation) related here

Moderators: russ, Ralph

jplewis02

Re: G1000 bezel FS2020

#11 Post by jplewis02 »

[quote}It is possible to modify Russ's Xplane G1000 bezel to run with FS 2020 using the AM Beta but unfortunately not all the functionality/buttons will work. The way I've managed to get it partially working is by injecting a new line of code for each button, for FS 2020 in the "logic.lua" script file. As an example, this is a line in the file for Xplane for the NAV SWAP button : xpl_command("sim/GPS/g1000n"..g_unitpos.."_softkey1")
The corresponding line for FS2020 would be : fs2020_event("NAV1_RADIO_SWAP")
FYI you can get the list of FS 2020 Event names from the FS 2020 SKD documentation. This URL shows you how to download it (https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/ho ... ode/123241) , once download open the "Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 SDK.chm" file and search for G1000.
Unfortunately the problem comes in that quite a few event names listed in the FS 2020 SKD documentation file are not yet working, hence the problems described in this topic. Hopefully Microsoft/Asobo will sort that out soon.
On a side note, not sure if you aware of this but if you did manage to get a G1000 bezel working in AM, you do not need to have it blank in the middle as you mentioned in your post. You can pop out the G1000 from FS2020 and have it in the middle of the AM G1000 bezel. The way to pop out instruments in FS 2020 is to press the "ALT GR" button on your keyboard (key to the right of your space bar) and then left mouse click on the instrument you want to pop out, in this case the G1000. You can then position it behind the G1000 bezel, don't forget to first tick the box in AM to set the G1000 bezel to be transparent. On my set up this is what Russ's Xplane G1000 bezel looks like with the FS 2020 G1000 Instrument inside.
I like you am new to AM and FS. I also ended up buying AM 3, Knobster and a screen and I only use FS2020. I'm not exactly sure where we stand when AM 4 comes out of beta and is released, do we need to buy AM again as the licence we have is for AM3, I sure hope not as I've never been able to use AM3 with my FS but will do if I have to as I like how AM and knobster work.
[/quote]

Yep it is going to take some work. I am using RUSS's work as a guide at present but gutting to down to be just MSFS at present so that I can clearly see what needs doing. There is enough differences in FS to Xplane Vars that there will need to be additional logic in the G1000 to support the data we can get back at present. I'm building a list of functions that will need to be worked on to create the functionality to support the base already available simconnect functionality annd a part 2 list for the MOBI integration. I was able to get the MOBI WASM Module to work with LUA but its a major hack at present. I'll keep working on that once I get all my base functions working. In the meantime this is a great learning project as I move toward some Arduino, AirManager, Stream Deck integration ;-)

Phil

jplewis02

#12 Post by jplewis02 »

Just wanted to say with a little FS community help, I got MOBIFLIGHT working with Air Manager and have 80+% of the G1000 PFD operational in Air Manager UI + Knobster on FS2020.
Seems we do not need to wait for Asobo to update the SDK and provide G1000 support.
:mrgreen:
I will update on how to do it in the coming day or two. and will share the WIP Panel in case anyone cares to try it.

Ralph

#13 Post by Ralph »

Still sad that there has to be a work-around :(

jph

#14 Post by jph »

jplewis02 wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 7:06 am Just wanted to say with a little FS community help, I got MOBIFLIGHT working with Air Manager and have 80+% of the G1000 PFD operational in Air Manager UI + Knobster on FS2020.
Seems we do not need to wait for Asobo to update the SDK and provide G1000 support.
I will update on how to do it in the coming day or two. and will share the WIP Panel in case anyone cares to try it.
So, 20% is not working ;)
And, the suggested 80% is made of of a series of complete fudges that will probably be of no usefulness in a month or so .... well, HEY ! :lol: that bodes well for the future of the game.... :roll:
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

stretchman07

#15 Post by stretchman07 »

jplewis02 wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 7:06 am Just wanted to say with a little FS community help, I got MOBIFLIGHT working with Air Manager and have 80+% of the G1000 PFD operational in Air Manager UI + Knobster on FS2020.
Well done, I look forward to your "how to" post.

jplewis02

#16 Post by jplewis02 »

jph wrote:So, 20% is not working ;)
And, the suggested 80% is made of of a series of complete fudges that will probably be of no usefulness in a month or so .... well, HEY ! :lol: that bodes well for the future of the game.... :roll:
Mate, I get it, you're an Xplane Fan Boy and do not welcome FS2020 getting a lot of airtime. I also get that the FS2020 G1000 implementation along with many other areas of the sim platform is a bit of a mess. Its OK tho.... I stepped away from Simming for years based on Microsoft past mis-steps and performance. I only recently came to Xplane. I really do like Xplane but I have shifted platforms. That said, there is no need to denigrate others work simply because it doesn't line up with your current Sim theology. A better use of your time might be to encourage and and sit back to see what is produced and how, you know, take a positive "show me what ya got" perspective.

Here is what I will say for now, Kindly hold your comments till you see what I post in the next 24 hours on how to integrate MOBIFLIGHT. I promise the Steps will be complete and the effort involved brief. Then you can poke constructive holes in the technique or implementation.

As for the 80% / 20%, it is 20% not implemented because its a work in progress and I have implementation work to do. It is also only the PFD at present. I have not yet formally coded the MFD specific functionality I just have a pseudo-code framework.

regards, Phil

jplewis02

#17 Post by jplewis02 »

Ralph wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:15 am Still sad that there has to be a work-around :(
Yep me too but the work around is DAMN Simple!

rothas2k

#18 Post by rothas2k »

jplewis02 wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:28 pm
Mate, I get it, you're an Xplane Fan Boy and do not welcome FS2020 getting a lot of airtime. I also get that the FS2020 G1000 implementation along with many other areas of the sim platform is a bit of a mess. Its OK tho.... I stepped away from Simming for years based on Microsoft past mis-steps and performance. I only recently came to Xplane. I really do like Xplane but I have shifted platforms. That said, there is no need to denigrate others work simply because it doesn't line up with your current Sim theology. A better use of your time might be to encourage and and sit back to see what is produced and how, you know, take a positive "show me what ya got" perspective.

Here is what I will say for now, Kindly hold your comments till you see what I post in the next 24 hours on how to integrate MOBIFLIGHT. I promise the Steps will be complete and the effort involved brief. Then you can poke constructive holes in the technique or implementation.

As for the 80% / 20%, it is 20% not implemented because its a work in progress and I have implementation work to do. It is also only the PFD at present. I have not yet formally coded the MFD specific functionality I just have a pseudo-code framework.

regards, Phil
Amen to that, thanks for sharing.

CaptainNetflix

#19 Post by CaptainNetflix »

Ah man! Looking forward to this! :D :D

jph

#20 Post by jph »

jplewis02 wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:28 pm
Mate, .....................................

regards, Phil
'mate' :roll: ....
I am not knocking what you personally are trying to do, or your coding or personal temporary implementation. Good luck to you - I think you have done a great job - from what you say - and with extremely limited resources.
I am knocking the complete 'cluster F%^K - err - party' of the ms release that is totally still in beta, the SDK is of poor quality, is unfinished and is inaccurate in so many areas. It is subject to change without notice, and needs huge work arounds that are ALL on an as is and temporary basis.
have at it boy. 'Pseudo-code' :?: ;) whatever you like and be prepared for it to change at any moment.
I really hoped that msfs would be great, it isn't. It is nice to look at in certain areas, as is GTA V..... If it was a great, realistic simulator of flight with extensive expandability and a quality SDK, and, ms had a track record of producing high quality fully expandable sims with accurate data to tap into, and, it wasn't really designed to offer comparable functionality (limited) as an xbox game (hence limiting it to - basically - an xbox game standard ) - and, ms had a super history of development of such as opposed to dropping it like a hot potato.... - then I would seriously contemplate buying it.
I really hope that it improves to such a level.
If it does, which on historical data and what we have seen so far there is is little to bugger all chance - then, I assure you, I will be at or near the front of the buyer's queue. - meanwhile -
Enjoy.
Joe. CISSP, MSc.