G1000 bezel FS2020

You can talk about anything flight (simulation) related here

Moderators: russ, Ralph

N349AH

G1000 bezel FS2020

#1 Post by N349AH »

I've come to understand in all my searching (unfortunately after purchasing a knobster, air manager, air player, and a 15.6" touch screen) that there may never be and certainly will not be for a while a working g1000 for FS2020, not to mention Air Manager for FS2020 currently being in BETA.

However, I'm hoping to to at least be able to create a g1000 bezel so I can at the bare minimum press on the knobs and use the knobster to dial everything in. Would be nice to press the buttons on the g1000 too. I'm fine for now having the g1000's being blank in the middle.

I use a TrackIR5 and its nearly impossible to use the mouse to manipulate the knob encoders. I'd really like to use the knobster and have to look on the main display for the g1000 map, etc.

thoughts?

Thank everyone!!

Keith Baxter

Re: G1000 bezel FS2020

#2 Post by Keith Baxter »

Hi,

It might be possible to modify the Bezel by Russ. I am afraid that is something you are going to have to do.

FS2020 has been good for Air Manager. Many of the "Glorified google/Bing map peeps " :mrgreen: flock here for a solution for an under developed flight model. If the basics are not there then it is almost impossible to interface with these types of instruments.
I wish you well trying to get something to work. Something I most certainly will not attempt and the major reason why it is not in the store already.

Sorry for the bad news.
The situation Might change in time. Who knows.

Keith
AMD RYZEN 9 5950X CPU, Corsair H80I cooler, ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS AMD Ryzen Mother Board,  32Gb ram Corsair Vengeance 3000Mh, MSI GTX960 4G graphics card 

Ralph

#3 Post by Ralph »

You can find the answer in our FAQ:
https://siminnovations.com/wiki/index.p ... _bezels.3F

Sling

#4 Post by Sling »

The issue is FS2020. You could have a working bezel tomorrow if they were to fix all the bugs and omissions.

This is simply a MS issue and nothing to do with AM 4 being in beta.

All what you want to achieve can be done right now with xplane11.

jplewis02

#5 Post by jplewis02 »

I am using some of the FS2020 G1000 functionality driving it through my Stream Deck XL and the Flight Tracker Plugin for Stream Deck. This plugin leverages a WASM Module developed by MOBIFLIGHT to provide extended functionality beyond the amazing work the Devs are already doing.
That module exposes the majority of the missing G1000 event functions I need, and allows me to create button Functions and Icons to accomplish the necessary tasks. As a former user of Russ's G1000 overlay for XPlane, I'm now back at it to see if I can expose the MobiFlight WASM module in Air Manager to get access to the FS2020 Events and variables in the module. I sort of had it working for two FMS Dial events, but it crashed and I have not yet been able to reproduce the success since. If we could get this to work we would not need to wait for ASOBO or Microsoft.

Phil

Ralph

#6 Post by Ralph »

'"using some of the FS2020 G1000 functionality" doesn't sound very promising. Corjan has looked into the WASM plugin option, but it's a terrible mess. Almost no documentation, and even their own example doesn't work properly.

jplewis02

#7 Post by jplewis02 »

Ralph wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 6:17 am '"using some of the FS2020 G1000 functionality" doesn't sound very promising. Corjan has looked into the WASM plugin option, but it's a terrible mess. Almost no documentation, and even their own example doesn't work properly.
Yeah, it is WAY MORE Functionality than many other user have currently, so for me it is great news! The statement 'SOME' should only imply I'm not yet using all of what is available. I don't know what or much of the _how_ the MSoft WASM example was implemented for FS2020 But I do know the MOBIFLIGHT Module works well and works with Arduino and Streamdeck and it means I am able to get to the functionality I need both through Custom Hardware and the StreamDeck.
Right now I'm retrofitting Russ's Xplane Overlay to run on FS2020 and have many of the Dials working some buttons plus one Softkey, and that is without WASM. I plan to come back to trying to hack in the MOBIFLIGHT Module when I have the other retrofit work done. Its a great learning project.

Phil

stretchman07

#8 Post by stretchman07 »

N349AH wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 4:07 pm I've come to understand in all my searching (unfortunately after purchasing a knobster, air manager, air player, and a 15.6" touch screen) that there may never be and certainly will not be for a while a working g1000 for FS2020, not to mention Air Manager for FS2020 currently being in BETA.

However, I'm hoping to to at least be able to create a g1000 bezel so I can at the bare minimum press on the knobs and use the knobster to dial everything in. Would be nice to press the buttons on the g1000 too. I'm fine for now having the g1000's being blank in the middle.

I use a TrackIR5 and its nearly impossible to use the mouse to manipulate the knob encoders. I'd really like to use the knobster and have to look on the main display for the g1000 map, etc.

thoughts?

Thank everyone!!
@N349AH It is possible to modify Russ's Xplane G1000 bezel to run with FS 2020 using the AM Beta but unfortunately not all the functionality/buttons will work. The way I've managed to get it partially working is by injecting a new line of code for each button, for FS 2020 in the "logic.lua" script file. As an example, this is a line in the file for Xplane for the NAV SWAP button : xpl_command("sim/GPS/g1000n"..g_unitpos.."_softkey1")
The corresponding line for FS2020 would be : fs2020_event("NAV1_RADIO_SWAP")
FYI you can get the list of FS 2020 Event names from the FS 2020 SKD documentation. This URL shows you how to download it (https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/ho ... ode/123241) , once download open the "Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 SDK.chm" file and search for G1000.
Unfortunately the problem comes in that quite a few event names listed in the FS 2020 SKD documentation file are not yet working, hence the problems described in this topic. Hopefully Microsoft/Asobo will sort that out soon.
On a side note, not sure if you aware of this but if you did manage to get a G1000 bezel working in AM, you do not need to have it blank in the middle as you mentioned in your post. You can pop out the G1000 from FS2020 and have it in the middle of the AM G1000 bezel. The way to pop out instruments in FS 2020 is to press the "ALT GR" button on your keyboard (key to the right of your space bar) and then left mouse click on the instrument you want to pop out, in this case the G1000. You can then position it behind the G1000 bezel, don't forget to first tick the box in AM to set the G1000 bezel to be transparent. On my set up this is what Russ's Xplane G1000 bezel looks like with the FS 2020 G1000 Instrument inside.
I like you am new to AM and FS. I also ended up buying AM 3, Knobster and a screen and I only use FS2020. I'm not exactly sure where we stand when AM 4 comes out of beta and is released, do we need to buy AM again as the licence we have is for AM3, I sure hope not as I've never been able to use AM3 with my FS but will do if I have to as I like how AM and knobster work.
Attachments
image.png

jph

#9 Post by jph »

jplewis02 wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 3:09 pm
Ralph wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 6:17 am '"using some of the FS2020 G1000 functionality" doesn't sound very promising. Corjan has looked into the WASM plugin option, but it's a terrible mess. Almost no documentation, and even their own example doesn't work properly.
Yeah, it is WAY MORE Functionality than many other user have currently, so for me it is great news! The statement 'SOME' should only imply I'm not yet using all of what is available. I don't know what or much of the _how_ the MSoft WASM example was implemented for FS2020 But I do know the MOBIFLIGHT Module works well and works with Arduino and Streamdeck and it means I am able to get to the functionality I need both through Custom Hardware and the StreamDeck.
Right now I'm retrofitting Russ's Xplane Overlay to run on FS2020 and have many of the Dials working some buttons plus one Softkey, and that is without WASM. I plan to come back to trying to hack in the MOBIFLIGHT Module when I have the other retrofit work done. Its a great learning project.

Phil
Come back when you give up on the MS Game and buy X-Plane......................................... 'SOME' means 'SOME' ... msfs is a shit show. don't waste your time.
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

jplewis02

#10 Post by jplewis02 »

[/quote]
Come back when you give up on the MS Game and buy X-Plane......................................... 'SOME' means 'SOME' ... msfs is a shit show. don't waste your time.
[/quote]

Haters are gonna hate. JPH I already own Xplane I have come from there to here. Several of the functions working based on RUSS's excellent earlier work. Flight Plan management will remain off the table till I can come back to work on MobiFlight Integration to get all the functions that I can do Via Stream Deck today to work in Air Manager 4 and FS2020. I can already see integration opportunities in this ecosystem that perhaps others including yourself are not open to, and that is OK.
XPlane is a great product, it was my weapon of choice for a good while but I have made the shift to MSFS2020 and learning its ways. It certainly has its deficiencies as did early versions of Xplane I'm sure.

I'm not here to argue over whose toy gun is better... Just to learn and experiment and make some magic happen as best I can.