Small break

You can talk about anything flight (simulation) related here

Moderators: russ, Ralph

Ralph

Small break

#1 Post by Ralph »

I'm taking a break for a few weeks (4~5) to be with this little guy (Sepp, born yesterday). This is also one of the reasons why I was a bit busy lately. Corjan will stay available, but he's getting a heavier workload now so be gentle with him ;)
Looking forward to be back to work as well.
IMG-20200731-WA0003.jpg

JackZ

Re: Small break

#2 Post by JackZ »

Congratulations to both parents!
A baby and a new house that’s a lot!

Once again Ralph, I strongly urge you to delegate some tasks to a selected group of few people such as the addition of new instruments to the store and others related tasks if you may, at least during this period.

You can of course keep an overall control over the process, but I’m pretty sure you can find volunteers more than happy to help you with this, and I can be among those if needed.

Jacques
My YouTube Chanel on the A320 (Real SOPs by an Airline Pilot IRL):
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 0Q6SBASRqJ

Keith Baxter

#3 Post by Keith Baxter »

Congratulations DAD.

Family comes first. Enjoy all these moments they dont last forever but your memories of them will.

new baby.gif
new baby.gif (22.55 KiB) Viewed 3883 times

Keith
AMD RYZEN 9 5950X CPU, Corsair H80I cooler, ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS AMD Ryzen Mother Board,  32Gb ram Corsair Vengeance 3000Mh, MSI GTX960 4G graphics card 

Corjan

#4 Post by Corjan »

The new heir to the SI throne :)

Ralph

#5 Post by Ralph »

He's gonna get coding lessons from 'uncle' Corjan. Cheap/free labor!

@JackZ I have thought about it, but it's quite difficult, or maybe difficult to let it go for me. It's not just a matter of uploading new instruments. It's looking at the script, testing, giving feedback / support. I try to be (a little) critical to ensure the quality.

If someone feels like he/she is up for that then that's fine :)

JackZ

#6 Post by JackZ »

Ralph wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:30 pm He's gonna get coding lessons from 'uncle' Corjan. Cheap/free labor!

@JackZ I have thought about it, but it's quite difficult, or maybe difficult to let it go for me. It's not just a matter of uploading new instruments. It's looking at the script, testing, giving feedback / support. I try to be (a little) critical to ensure the quality.

If someone feels like he/she is up for that then that's fine :)
No problem, Ralph, but I think there is on the forum a bunch of long standing contributors/developpers which are equally as you are quite stringent about the overall quality of the instruments submitted, and that can be helpfull to keep the site going.
And of course if you publish/discuss in advance some guidelines/criterias for admission of a new instrument in the Store, this will be even easier.

Anyways, that is just a friendly suggestion, as I know that you will soon have your hands full (of poo Haha) with your newborn. I won't bother you with that no worries as they say in Australia.

Jacques

Ralph

#7 Post by Ralph »

One of the other issues is that this person needs access to our FTP, giving him access to all the instruments we have. It's of course all about trust, but I feel a bit hesitant about that as well.

Corjan

#8 Post by Corjan »

Ralph wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:30 pm He's gonna get coding lessons from 'uncle' Corjan. Cheap/free labor!
You can just skip teaching him Dutch as a first language, I would suggest starting with with C(++).

JackZ

#9 Post by JackZ »

Ralph wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:33 pm One of the other issues is that this person needs access to our FTP, giving him access to all the instruments we have. It's of course all about trust, but I feel a bit hesitant about that as well.
Easily solved:
either create and grant access to a a separate directory, or create a temporary separate « moderators only» directory
And from there manually update every 2/3 days the « real » ftp.

Anyways, Ralph, when it comes to trust, it’s a matter of personal taste, you do what you wanna do, as said it was a friendly advice, no more no less. I’m out with this.

Enjoy your newborn that’s the most Important.

Jacques

Ralph

#10 Post by Ralph »

Corjan wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 5:39 amYou can just skip teaching him Dutch as a first language, I would suggest starting with with C(++).
:lol: